IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Fertilizer for Palms

Palmerum

1 hour ago, Missi said:

Thanks, all, for the additional info! Please keep it coming...

Here is the correct Lesco formulation I've been using. No issues with any of the 50+ species I'm growing on my property.

I'm on the barrier island near Melbourne with Pomello & Canaveral/Palm Beach sand/soil. Mulching yearly since 2012 has helped greatly.

Daily summer heavy rainfall and then events like our 10"+ rain event in October really shorten application periods.

lesco-plant-flower-fertilizer-082962-64_

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, IHB1979 said:

Here is the correct Lesco formulation I've been using. No issues with any of the 50+ species I'm growing on my property.

I'm on the barrier island near Melbourne with Pomello & Canaveral/Palm Beach sand/soil. Mulching yearly since 2012 has helped greatly.

Daily summer heavy rainfall and then events like our 10"+ rain event in October really shorten application periods.

lesco-plant-flower-fertilizer-082962-64_

That's great you've had good results with this! I'm still wondering if 13-3-13 is their "general" palm formula, but 8-2-12 is the formula Floridians should use.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I have wasted a lot of money on bad fertilizer. For years I bought the "palm special". I was having to fertilize monthly and still had huge issues with potassium, nitrogen and some Mag and Iron deficiencies. I would put down the 8-2-12 one month then the following use K-Mag and alternate like that. Closer study revealed that the palm special slow released a portion of N and K and dumped all the rest of the N, K and micros in the first watering. I switched to Florikan 18-6-8 where the entire package is coated for slow release and the results have been amazing. I now fertilize every 3 months using the 90 day formula in winter and switch to the 180 day in the hot summer. The price is more than double per 50 lbs. but I am spending less now. I was using 150 lbs. per month of the junk and now use 125 lbs every 3 months of the good stuff. In my opinion the actual formula is not so critical, the supposed ideal FL formula has been changed so many times anyway, 12-4-12, 8-4-12, 8-2-12 etc. The absolute critical part is that the entire package including all the minors are coated for slow release. I buy the Florikan from Diamond R here in the Redlands, Homestead FL.

Missi, if you can't find this locally and shipping is that expensive, it would be worth a drive to Homestead. This florikan is in sealed bags and if you store it in air conditioned space it will keep for a year, right now I pay about $56/50lb.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, atlantisrising said:

I have wasted a lot of money on bad fertilizer. For years I bought the "palm special". I was having to fertilize monthly and still had huge issues with potassium, nitrogen and some Mag and Iron deficiencies. I would put down the 8-2-12 one month then the following use K-Mag and alternate like that. Closer study revealed that the palm special slow released a portion of N and K and dumped all the rest of the N, K and micros in the first watering. I switched to Florikan 18-6-8 where the entire package is coated for slow release and the results have been amazing. I now fertilize every 3 months using the 90 day formula in winter and switch to the 180 day in the hot summer. The price is more than double per 50 lbs. but I am spending less now. I was using 150 lbs. per month of the junk and now use 125 lbs every 3 months of the good stuff. In my opinion the actual formula is not so critical, the supposed ideal FL formula has been changed so many times anyway, 12-4-12, 8-4-12, 8-2-12 etc. The absolute critical part is that the entire package including all the minors are coated for slow release. I buy the Florikan from Diamond R here in the Redlands, Homestead FL.

Missi, if you can't find this locally and shipping is that expensive, it would be worth a drive to Homestead. This florikan is in sealed bags and if you store it in air conditioned space it will keep for a year, right now I pay about $56/50lb.

you might be struggling with a high pH problem if there are iron deficiencies using the florikan "palm special".  I have none of these deficiencies using the florikan palm special for 5 years but ONLY applying every 6 months.   no Kmag has been needed but I have used garden lime at times.  My results lead me to conclude that I don't need the 90 day, the 180 day does very well in january(dry time) and july(wet season starts), Im getting plenty of potassium delivery for its stated 180 day duration.  Little or no K, Mf, Fe deficiencies have been observed after I switched from lesco palm and tropical sulfur coated fertilizer that I ap;lied every 3 months as directed.  I use about 200 lbs a year on 70 somewhat mature palms and of that 50 lbs/yr goes to (2) 12-20' overall cuban copernicias.  Perhaps you get more frequent rain or the fertilizer is continuously wet/draining which would accelerate osmotic leaching.  I guess soil and climate variations impact delivery and feeding as well.  I know miami soils are very different than SW FL soils, they tend to be rocky and wet with some limestone.  Perhaps they are more fertilizer needy due to high water turnover in soils and continual wetness.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I didn't know florikan made a "palm special". The florikan product I am using now is called Nutricote and it is specifically for palms. The "palm special" I was using before was an off brand product named "Palm Special". If you are using Florikan 180 day you are using the good stuff called Nutricote manufactured in Japan and distributed here by Florikan, same thing I am using now and extremely pleased with the results. No more deficiencies in the majors or the minors. And you are right about high pH, extreme alkalinity here, 3" soil then solid coral rock. As to how many times to apply, you are probably right about soil permeability and amount of rainfall determining that. I went a bit overboard because my landscape was so out of whack from 5 years of using the junk that I needed to correct it as quickly as possible, it looked horrible before.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, atlantisrising said:

I didn't know florikan made a "palm special". The florikan product I am using now is called Nutricote and it is specifically for palms. The "palm special" I was using before was an off brand product named "Palm Special". If you are using Florikan 180 day you are using the good stuff called Nutricote manufactured in Japan and distributed here by Florikan, same thing I am using now and extremely pleased with the results. No more deficiencies in the majors or the minors. And you are right about high pH, extreme alkalinity here, 3" soil then solid coral rock. As to how many times to apply, you are probably right about soil permeability and amount of rainfall determining that. I went a bit overboard because my landscape was so out of whack from 5 years of using the junk that I needed to correct it as quickly as possible, it looked horrible before.

Yes florikan calls their 8-2-12 formulated for palms the "palm special".  Its also good on citrus and other plants.  I have seen different bag labels and now they apparently call it "palm and citrus" instead of "palm special".  Marketing change only.   http://www.bigearthsupply.com/landscape-gardening-products/tampa-bay-fertilizer/tampa-palm-citrus-fertilizer.html

"A great fertilizer for all seasons, 8-2-12 comes highly recommended by Dr. Broschat at the University of Florida for palm trees. 8-2-12 is suitable for Florida's soil and is aimed to reduce water pollution during the summer. 8-2-12 can also be used on turf, ornamentals, shrubs and trees."

• Upvote 1

Tom Blank

As long as the entire package is polymer coated for slow release and distributed with the Florikan label then It is good stuff and works well for you.  I think the formula numbers are not as critical as the slow release part. I use the 18-6-8 because some of the growers in the area along with Jeff Marcus recommended that formula. Bottom line, Florikan, entire package including the minors slow release.

2 hours ago, atlantisrising said:

As long as the entire package is polymer coated for slow release and distributed with the Florikan label then It is good stuff and works well for you.  I think the formula numbers are not as critical as the slow release part. I use the 18-6-8 because some of the growers in the area along with Jeff Marcus recommended that formula. Bottom line, Florikan, entire package including the minors slow release.

yes both "florokote" and "nutricote" are polymer (polyurethane) coated prills.  I am not aware that florikan even sells an uncoated fertilizer.

Tom Blank

Florikan Nutricote is what I'm using and have had great results. Currently have the 180 day but thinking about the 90 day formula. BWI is where I buy it. Worth every penny

Dear Tom,

Can you post your Bismarkia palm and sabal palm stills to our members here in this post,just to make them realise your method work for florida soil conditions.Because your palms speaks for the nurturing you have given to them.I suppose all can just follow your fertilizer brand and schedule to have great results.

Every time i see your palm stills,i say God how big is this..in Awe and disbelief.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

My collection of palms are well established. Been a few years since planting any new additions. After years of heavy mulching, there is a decent amount of organic material in the rocky soil. Haven't put down any Nitrogen in 4 years, only K-Mag, slow release. I let the Mycorrhiza fungus and rain provide Nitrogen. Since cutting down on Nitrogen supplements, a definite drop off of damaging insects. My theory is that heavily nitrogen levels increase excessive sugar levels that attract the pests. Symbiosis in the soil seems to be working. No supplemental irrigation. This is with older established palms. All survived Hurricane Irma, only a few diminutive ones had to get propped up vertically.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 1/26/2018, 9:58:21, Kris said:

Dear Tom,

Can you post your Bismarkia palm and sabal palm stills to our members here in this post,just to make them realise your method work for florida soil conditions.Because your palms speaks for the nurturing you have given to them.I suppose all can just follow your fertilizer brand and schedule to have great results.

Every time i see your palm stills,i say God how big is this..in Awe and disbelief.

Love,

Kris.

On 1/26/2018, 9:58:21, Kris said:

Dear Tom,

Love,

Kris.

Kris, here is a before and after for a beccariophoenix Alfredii a few weeks after the dec 2010 cold event and after I trimmed irma damage in dec 2017.    After the first year and a half I was using my current fertilizer/mulch regimen.

alfrediiburn.jpg

BAdec2017.JPG

• Upvote 4

Tom Blank

I have been reading the book Ornamental Palm Horticulture cover to cover. This weekend I FINALLY got to the chapter Minereral Nutrition of Ornamental Palms! Hallelujah! Maybe I won't be so helpless anymore...

:hmm:

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2018, 12:39:56, atlantisrising said:

Well, I figure it's $22 shipping on the Florikan which is less than the tank of gas it would take me to get anywhere that sells it! :lol:

On 1/26/2018, 3:23:02, atlantisrising said:

On 1/26/2018, 3:38:31, sonoranfans said:

Yes florikan calls their 8-2-12 formulated for palms the "palm special".  Its also good on citrus and other plants.  I have seen different bag labels and now they apparently call it "palm and citrus" instead of "palm special".  Marketing change only.   http://www.bigearthsupply.com/landscape-gardening-products/tampa-bay-fertilizer/tampa-palm-citrus-fertilizer.html

"A great fertilizer for all seasons, 8-2-12 comes highly recommended by Dr. Broschat at the University of Florida for palm trees. 8-2-12 is suitable for Florida's soil and is aimed to reduce water pollution during the summer. 8-2-12 can also be used on turf, ornamentals, shrubs and trees."

Friday evening my Florikan 8-2-12 from Big Earth was delivered. The label now simply says Florikan 8-2-12 :greenthumb:

On 1/26/2018, 4:00:53, atlantisrising said:

I use this Florikan Nutricote for my potted palms, along with a liquid seaweed, as suggested to me by Jeff as well.

23 hours ago, Moose said:

My collection of palms are well established. Been a few years since planting any new additions. After years of heavy mulching, there is a decent amount of organic material in the rocky soil. Haven't put down any Nitrogen in 4 years, only K-Mag, slow release. I let the Mycorrhiza fungus and rain provide Nitrogen. Since cutting down on Nitrogen supplements, a definite drop off of damaging insects. My theory is that heavily nitrogen levels increase excessive sugar levels that attract the pests. Symbiosis in the soil seems to be working. No supplemental irrigation. This is with older established palms. All survived Hurricane Irma, only a few diminutive ones had to get propped up vertically.

Where can one find controlled-release K-Mag online?

I believe Harrels makes one. Never used K-mag but at our nursery we use Harrels controled release products and love it. It's made in Lakeland. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎28‎:‎01‎, Reeverse said:

I believe Harrels makes one. Never used K-mag but at our nursery we use Harrels controled release products and love it. It's made in Lakeland. 

Harrels slow release K-Mag is the stuff I use. Fruit trees like it too, more fruit. They have a distribution warehouse in Homestead, FL.

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told, that Satakentia Palms, require Alkaline soil.  Which is a Clay type soil.   When palms like Alkaline soil, how do you make the soil quick draining ? add perlite or sand ?

• Upvote 1

My experience with Satakentia is that they do equally well in alkaline or acidic soils, I have them in coral rock with no amendments and in a 17 cubic yard bed where all the rock was removed to 30" deep and then filled with topsoil and silica sand, 2 to 1 mix. I think the one in the topsoil will be the best specimen, to soon to tell for sure as it is the most recent one planted, but they are all absolutely spectactular, they just don't care about soil type. As to your question on drainage, I suggest use perlite in pots and sand if you are putting it in the ground. Don't use perlite in the ground, it will degrade and leave you with little drainage. One more bit of info, if in the ground dig a very large hole to amend, Satakentia is EXTREMELY rooty, even my 45' tall Roystoneas were not this aggressive, were, as in past tense. I had to dig them all out after the hand of Thor fried them all in a single bolt.

• Upvote 2

Ok a big thankyou. Sand will not be from the beach? As contains salt?  We have sand dunes everywhere, which is better option

9 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

Ok a big thankyou. Sand will not be from the beach? As contains salt?  We have sand dunes everywhere, which is better option

I think you must buy this gadget to test soil PH.

https://www.amazon.com/Jellas-Moisture-Sunlight-function-Outdoor/dp/B075GHNNC7/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518246128&sr=8-6&keywords=soil+ph+tester+digital

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Absolutely correct. Sand must be washed, not beach sand. Had that happen to me, contractor went the easy route with unwashed sand and all the sensitive understory died. Since then I buy it bagged and mix it myself with the topsoil. Perhaps that test equipment recommended here could sniff that out, but I don't trust it unless it is bagged and labeled washed.

Yes must be washed.  Only palms ok with beach sand are the Coconuts..   picon or cinder mixed would do the same job

On 1/22/2018, 8:20:41, PalmTreeDude said:

I used palm gain and it worked well, for palms in general. I was not going after a specific nutrient. 

palmgain10lb1-1-260x260.jpgi use palmgain 8-2-12 as well for potted palms. Seems to work very well for me. I just cut back in the package recommend use.