IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Northern CA meeting at Edith Bergstroms garden

ghar41

PALM SOCIETY EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Meetings
 Edith & Eric Bergstrom Garden Meeting o.Date: Sunday, September 20th, 2015
Time: 1:00 to 5:00 PM

Meeting is planned for either September 20 or 27. Please check back for a confirmed date and other details.

Edith and Erik Bergstrom will host our September meeting in their two acre garden in Atherton. It will begin at 1:00pm with the usual potluck lunch, followed by a garden tour and an auction/meeting. 

Palms in the original property began to be planted in 1990 after a major rebuilding of the existing house. Edith redesigned the garden and the first palms (now giants) were planted from one and five gallon cans. 

In January, 2003 the lot next door was purchased, and over a period of more than a year at least 25 large truck loads of free top soil were brought in by an excavator. (He otherwise would have had to pay to dispose of it.) Many tons of compost were added, mixed and formed into the large berms Edith designed. She began planting palm trees on the part of the property that was not under construction in late 2003, but the work accelerated in 2005 after completion of the house addition and the indoor swimming pool. The pool area includes appropriate plantings and a two headed Syagrus romanzoffiana. 

There are approximately 150 species and more than 400 palms of all sizes and shapes. You will be surprised at the rapid growth some have attained since the last meeting. 

Directions:

Erik and Edith Bergstrom 149 Hawthorn Drive Atherton, Ca 94027

650-322-7256 From the north, (San Francisco): 101 Freeway: Travel south to Marsh Road off ramp. Leave the freeway from the right hand slow lane and stay in right hand lane of the off ramp lanes. Then turn RIGHT onto Marsh Road and go STRAIGHT (west). Travel on Marsh Road for one mile until Marsh Road ends at a T intersection into Middlefield. Turn LEFT and drive two tenths of a mile. Turn LEFT from a left turn lane (this is the first left turn) into the right side opening of the entrance (there pillars in the center of the entrance. This is James Drive. Go two very short blocks and turn RIGHT on Hawthorn. Go about two tenths of a mile. The house is on the LEFT.

280 Freeway: Exit the freeway at Sand Hill Rd. Follow the signs to Menlo Park. Pass about 4 stop lights. Turn LEFT at the stop light at Santa Cruz Ave. This is a major intersection. (The road is called Junipero Serra on the right side at that stop light.) Keep to the LEFT when Santa Cruz Ave. splits after a couple of blocks. The street is now called Alameda de las Pulgas. In several blocks the road will narrow to two lanes. Watch for Valparaiso, and turn RIGHT. (There is a fire station on the left side, across the street at Valparaiso.) Follow Valparaiso to El Camino Real. The road changes its name after it crosses El Camino Real in Menlo Park. It is now Glenwood. Go another mile. At Middlefield Road you will see an arched gate facing you. Enter it, crossing Middlefield. This is Linden Drive. Go two short blocks. The road splits into three. Take the sharp LEFT turn onto Hawthorn. Go about two tenths of a mile. The house is on the RIGHT. 

From the South, San Jose: l0l Freeway: Travel north to Marsh Road. You will exit to the right; making a LEFT turn at the stop light at the end of the off ramp, to go back over the freeway (Turning right at the light would take you to the Dunbarton Bridge.) Follow the instructions starting at Marsh Road in the first paragraph.

280 Freeway: The instructions are the same as above.

From El Camino Real:

Turn right (coming from the south including from Stanford) or left (coming from the north) at Glenwood which is in the northern part of Menlo Park. Go one mile. At Middlefield Road you will see an arched gate facing you. Enter it, crossing Middlefield. This is Linden Drive. Go two short blocks. The road splits into three. Take the sharp LEFT turn onto Hawthorn. Go about two tenths of a mile. The house is on the RIGHT. From East Bay: Take the Dumbarton Bridge exit, (Highway #84), off #880. After crossing the bridge keep on the Bay Front Expressway ignoring the turnoffs to Palo Alto and Willow Rd. Then you will see signs that you are approaching the 101 freeway. Stay in the middle lane so you will not exit accidentally onto the freeway. You will go over it and be on Marsh Rd. heading west. You will go about one mile and Marsh dead ends into Middlefield. Turn LEFT and drive two tenths of a mile. Turn LEFT through entrance pillars with two large iron lanterns - James Drive – (the first left turn). Go two very short blocks and turn RIGHT on Hawthorn. Go about two tenths of a mile. The house is on the LEFT. 
Harris.G@monet.k12.ca.us

Send mail to PalmSociety@aol.com for questions on palms.
© 2004 by the Palm Society, Northern California Chapter
Edited by ghar41

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

On for the 20th?!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

On for the 20th?!

Yes on for the 20th.  I noticed that and tried to edit from my phone but was unable...  See everyone at Edith's on the 20th!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Great. Glenn I don't remember getting an email about it recently and think I usually do. It popped up on my calendar today to check on the date. Were emails sent out, if not can someone get one out to the membership today?

The text above is the same on the Northern California Palm Society's website, which I assumed you pulled it from. Can that be updated or something else posted there to let people know it's on for the earlier date should they go there to check. It would be a shame to see someone miss this meeting thinking nothing was confirmed either way. I know we've been looking forward to seeing Edith and Eric's garden for sometime. See you guys there.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Oh apparently I did get an email :blush:. There was an email on 8/27 sent out with the 20th noted in the Re: and talking about the meeting.

BTW the next email I got was on the 9/1 mentioning Patric Shafer and Dwight Ries will be there with some plants. The Re: on that mentioned the 9/20 date.  Will they still be there? They mentioned needing to get enough preorders to make it feasible.

Hello!

Edith did send out email invitations with the correct date, mine arrived in my inbox on Thursday 8/27/ at 10:25 am.  Not sure why you did not receive a mailing but please check with Edith tomorrow to make sure she has your correct address.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Oops, ok I'm a little behind now...Ha!   Patrick will be there but Dwight sent an email recently saying he would not be.  See you tomorrow!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Did you know there are two different times for the beginning of the meeting? The announcement above in this thread and on the Northern California Palm Society website says 1-5pm. Potluck begins at 1pm.

However, in Edith's email of 8/27 it says Potluck and event begins at Noon. 

Sorry I didn't notice this before now.