IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a foxy lady palm and can someone help me grow them from seed?

FallbrookCA

So I have these around my area and I talked to the landscaper and they are willing to give me the seeds from this massive palm. I'm a complete newb on growing from seed, meaning never done it, and I wanted to do it with these. Can someone please help me with some pointers and how to do it. I grabbed some from the ground before and tried to clean the fruit but I only found the seed part to be tiny compared to what the size of the seed with fruit was, unless I went to far. Again I don't really know what I'm doing with these and was even thinking of taking it to someone else I know that grows kings and queens, but thought I should try here first.

post-3639-0-76841000-1441299605_thumb.jp

As far as I know, Foxy Lady (Wodyetia x Veitchia) seeds are sterile.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I wouldn’t try to grow a hybrid from seed

Of course I meant: I wouldn’t try to grow hybrids from their own seed (for discussion cf. the thread mentioned above). – This hybrid comes from seeds of Wodyetia bifurcata with pollen from Veitchia arecina.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I have back crossed successfully and I have some natural back crosses sprouting under the hybrids where seed fell. I will post some pics if I remember to take some. One may be real special with very WHITE variegation.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

That's a nice looking palm, Ken! What is the growth rate like or differences between your back crosses and the F1 Foxy Lady?

That's a nice looking palm, Ken! What is the growth rate like or differences between your back crosses and the F1 Foxy Lady?

Both are FAST! The non variegated ones are faster. I suspect the variegated ones have hybrid decline while the green ones have vigor. :hmm:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

looks like the real think Ken.

Great job. Let us know when we can buy some seeds :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Can you all explain back crossing for me, can it be done with only one of the trees there like a foxtail or do you need the other as well? This same location also has foxtails very close by so is it possible that it back crossed?