IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hedyscepe and lepidorrhachis mooreana pants or seeds

DiegoGM

Hello.

My name is Diego and i am a new member of this formum. I am from A Coruña, in the NW of Spain. I am lokking for plants or seeds of lepidorrhachis mooreana and hedyscepe canterburyana but i cant find it!

What happend with this palms? All the post i could see about it was writen years ago! Except some people from california of couse.

Thank you!

I can't grow either one but will venture a guess why they are so rare - also why you may have little chance of growing them if you find them. Both come from Lord Howe Island and have specific care needs, esp lepidorrachis. Both do not take frost or freezing temps well. Both do not like high heat and require cool/chilly nights. I have no chance with them because my summer days are very hot and nights much too warm. Lepidorrhachis needs a temp range of 20-22C in daytime and 10C at night all year round or it will surely die. San Francisco CA in the US is one place where it can be happy. Hedyscepe is not as strict but still wants cool days and most importantly chilly nights. It can find that in parts of Cali in the US. Can your provide those conditions year round where you live?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I can't grow either one but will venture a guess why they are so rare - also why you may have little chance of growing them if you find them. Both come from Lord Howe Island and have specific care needs, esp lepidorrachis. Both do not take frost or freezing temps well. Both do not like high heat and require cool/chilly nights. I have no chance with them because my summer days are very hot and nights much too warm. Lepidorrhachis needs a temp range of 20-22C in daytime and 10C at night all year round or it will surely die. San Francisco CA in the US is one place where it can be happy. Hedyscepe is not as strict but still wants cool days and most importantly chilly nights. It can find that in parts of Cali in the US. Can your provide those conditions year round where you live?

Yes, regarding Lepidorrachis, find me a unicorn while you are at it! :floor:

I find Hedyscepe takes heat (105+) fine as long as in shade. It does get cool (60ish) nights here for the most part, no matter how hot it gets during the day.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for clarifying, Ben. Lepidorrachis is my "unicorn palm." I agree Hedyscepe needs the relief of cool/chilly nights after a hot day and that's why it would never survive here. If we got a 100F day, we'd be lucky if night got down to 80. Just too much heat stress for this palm. Bummer, because I would love to grow both but a move to San Fran is out of the question.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hello Palmatier. I think that i could grow both species. The north west of spain is temperate and wet, very similar to the new zealand and tasmania island climate. Currently in my city falls about 3 ft (1000mm) of rain, the summers are temperate 73*F/ 59*F (23*C/ 15*C) and the winters are cool 57*F/ 44*F (14*C/ 7*C). The fact in the gardens of my town there are very tall howeas foesterianas, about 26 ft (8m)!

In addition near my city there are a garden with some little hedyscepes.

All this things make me think that is possible grow it in my zone,but is impossible to find seeds :/

Hola, Diego, welcome to Palmtalk ! I have seeds on my Hedyscepe, but they need to develop for a few more months before they are mature. Send me a PM in 3 or 4 months to remind me about your desire for this species. :)

San Francisco, California

• 7 years later...
On 9/5/2015 at 5:26 AM, Darold Petty said:

Hola, Diego, welcome to Palmtalk ! I have seeds on my Hedyscepe, but they need to develop for a few more months before they are mature. Send me a PM in 3 or 4 months to remind me about your desire for this species. :)

Hello. I just read your posts about hedescype.

I am  doing university project on palm flora of south pacific, And i finnaly got all nikau seeds but still lack seeds of Hedyscepe canterburyana, howea belmpreana ,Lepidorrhachis mooreana and  Archontophoenix alexandrae and some other species of Archontophoenix .

I wonder if you could help me and sell some seeds of hedyscepe ? I have contacted all in NZ , and nobody have them , i hope that you will be able to help me.  I have also contacted Lord Howe Island nursery , but they told me that it is not allowed to inmoprt seeds from the island. it is very difficult to find them. I wonderif you have some aviable ? i will ofcourse pay you for everything . or maybe you know somebody who have them ?  If you have seeds of the other species that i need i would gladly buy them from you,

Best greetings Alex.

Edited by Alexstudent

Alexstudent,  you have contacted me before by PM.  I very politely asked you not to contact me again.   Why are you not complying with my request ?

Perhaps you should have considered seed availability before starting your project. 

Do not contact me again.

San Francisco, California

11 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Alexstudent,  you have contacted me before by PM.  I very politely asked you not to contact me again.   Why are you not complying with my request ?

Perhaps you should have considered seed availability before starting your project. 

Do not contact me again.

sorry i forget the name 😃 Will not bother you anymore , will give up on this species ! Seems like impossible to get seeds of that. All the best to you