IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trip to Australia / Nusery to work at for a while

Ben1

Hey everybody,

I plan to travel to Australia next year in July. I would like to work for about 10 months and travel for about 2 months at the end of my trip.

I would love to work in a nusery somewhere around Cairns region (the wet tropics of Australia as far as I've been told) where it's warm year round. I'm very intrested in learning something about gardening in the tropics, enhance my English skills and see what the Australian way of life is like.

To get a realistic impression I would prefer to stay with a family who own a nusery. I would not expect any payment but would work every day for board and lodge. It would be also nice to spent my leisure time with the family I stay at.

Of course I already read about the WWOF organisation but I think it's hard to find an organic nusery that grows ornamental plants like palms, broms, orchids, ferns and so on. I assume organic farms only produce foods but not ornamental plants, do they? It wolud be more intresting for me to work with that kind of plants and learning more about their propagation and taking care of them than just picking fruits for such a long time.

Maybe some of you know someone friendly who own a nusery in northern queensland I could ask? It doesn't need to be Cairns itself, but it would be great to be in a "wet" part of this country where the scenery is green and lush and not too dry. (sorry for my untaught imagination; I hope I will learn much more about this beautiful country everyone talking good about). I would be so grateful for any kind of tips / hints or help!

After that period of working I plan to travel along the east coast heading sydney at the end of my trip. Like Robbin from the Netherlands did last year, I intend to see the botanical gardens and maybe some nuseries and of course zoos on my way. Maybe I could also meet some of you guys in Australia as well as Robbin did; that would be so cool :winkie:

I would be happy about some responses.

Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards

Ben

If you come to Cairns in July you will be arriving during the 'Dry Season' but yes Cairns is in the 'Wet Tropics' which extend south to around Ingham, south of Ingham you enter the 'Dry Tropics' with Townsville being the main centre..............South of Townsville is the Burdekin area and then to Bowen (All in the 'Dry Tropics').......... South of Bowen you come to the Whitsunday Region, Proserpine, Airlie Beach and down to Mackay where it greens up again. This is where I live and this area is sometimes referred to as the 'Lesser Wet Tropics'........ If you come to the Airlie Beach area let me know and I can show you some very nice tropical Palm Gardens........ One of the members on here 'Richie' has a great one. I showed Robbin around for a day last year when he was here.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Hey Andrew,

thank you very much for your answer and your explanations about the local conditions! I'm really looking forward to meet you and see a garden and talk to the person who takes care for it. This possibilty is missing while visit a botanical garden! So thank you very very much indeed!

Greetings Ben

I know I'm quite early with my scheduling, but I think finding a place to stay and work at is the most important step before I resign from my perpetual job (and I have to adhere a fairly long term of notice). That's why I struggle by now to find a nusery.

Has no one an idea on a nusery I can apply?

Maybe some of you know one of the following nuseries:

- Tropical Exotics, El Arish by Scott and Ann Cains

- Equatorial Exotics, Redlynch

- Branches Nusery, Kuwarra Beach

- Helga's Nusery, Julatten

- Mad About Plants, Edmonton

- Brook Reflections, Bundaberg (not located close to Cairns, but to Brisbane. Anyway very intresting as they have an incredibly wide range of bromeliads)

Or is this place in the forum not the right one for this topic? If so, I apologize for that....

Ben , I am personal friends of a few people on your list and can make some enquires at another suitable place ..

pinanga@gmail.com

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.