IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Carpentaria acuminata on Pico island in the Azores archipelago

SoulofthePlace

Received a ~50 cm specimen from Spain and planted into a pot with good soil. Over a month later and no signs of any growth nor decline. Our summers are 25-27C every day (77-80F) and nights are around 70F. This is Pico island, in the Azores archipelago, with the warmest nights year round in Europe. I wonder if it takes a long time to establish its roots? All other palms, including slow growers planted on the same day, already showing signs of growth. Even the slow Copernicias are slowly moving up already.

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

It is getting a lot of water in the Azores, rain and watering daily for almost a month after planting and now slowing down with watering as the soil in the pot is constantly moist. The pot is special black plastic nursery pot very high quality with six holes at the bottom sides. Made in USA.

The soil in the pot is very rich, I made special mix by hand which included half of the pots volume of very rich soil from the country road where no cars drive, it is abandoned mountain track, especially located for this soil mix. No I did not test it chemically. All other palms are doing great in it. Same mix for all my palms.

The drainage is great but the pot soil remain moist and is not logged.

I may be post some photos if I receive more feedback but its a regular seedling, the soil has fined pine bark to hold moisture in. The sun exposure everything is perfect. Temperature perfect too, not too hot not cold.

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

http://postimg.org/image/etiv8sfl7/]%7Boption%7Dhttp://s17.postimg.org/etiv8sfl7/DSC04235.jpg

I'm struggling, sorry... I will try another method...

Edited by SoulofthePlace

I will not post photos for this plant, as I am tired of trying to display the thumbnail to no avail... but I will post my "entire collection", hopefully that photo will show on here:

This method of direct link seems to be the only one that works on PalmTalk: http://s7.postimg.org/gsti6dpff/DSC04241.jpg

There is totally browned "nikau" palm seeding (NZ) that died no matter what I did. I don't like to grow difficult palms as I lost too much money trying, but I still bought Phoenix ekmanii (DR) and the seedling is slowly drying up at one frond, but in general does not look too bad yet and not showing growth, but I know that after 1 to 5 year a small spear-tip may appear in the seedling :-)

There's the Carpentaria acuminata right in front next to the dead Nikau. A tomato plant and some local palms seedling in quantity, which did not die as expected... :-))))

And on the left there's some lush palm with burned leaves which can't even handle 25C in full sun of Azores. So it has some burnt foliage indeed. If interested I can tell you what the palm's name is.

Here is your photo:

post-10467-0-90140900-1440959926_thumb.j

The Carpentaria looks also as if it had suffered severy root damage, maybe the roots had dried out during transport. In such case it would be better to plant the seedling in a smaller pot which allows a more regular watering. – The pic is not so sharp so I can only guess that the palm on the left which doesn’t like direct sun may be an Archontophoenix cunninghamiana? The problem is not the temp of 25°C but the direct unfiltered sunlight with lots of UV radiation.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Here is your photo:

attachicon.gifDSC04241.jpg

The Carpentaria looks also as if it had suffered severy root damage, maybe the roots had dried out during transport. In such case it would be better to plant the seedling in a smaller pot which allows a more regular watering. – The pic is not so sharp so I can only guess that the palm on the left which doesn’t like direct sun may be an Archontophoenix cunninghamiana? The problem is not the temp of 25°C but the direct unfiltered sunlight with lots of UV radiation.

It's Kentia belmoreana, the one that stands separated on the left. Yes, it was damaged by direct sun while standing there in this stone "canyon", but not too badly. I had someone else ship me Bismarckia nobilis barerooted... from Spain, and I managed to revive it by lots of watering twice daily. But these palms were all mailed to me in their soil and in small pots (potted) and they arrived with soil wet, so I decided to plant them into the larger pots, forgetting the pot size rule. I am testing all these palms and other trees in Azorean climate.

As you can see the Copernicia baileyana (and hospita also) has half leaves browned but is already showing signs of growth. I can post a photo of it separately, if you want to take a look at it.

Here is your photo:

It's Kentia belmoreana, the one that stands separated on the left. Yes, it was damaged by direct sun while standing there in this stone "canyon", but not too badly. I had someone else ship me Bismarckia nobilis barerooted... from Spain, and I managed to revive it by lots of watering twice daily. But these palms were all mailed to me in their soil and in small pots (potted) and they arrived with soil wet, so I decided to plant them into the larger pots, forgetting the pot size rule. I am testing all these palms and other trees in Azorean climate.

As you can see the Copernicia baileyana (and hospita also) has half leaves browned but is already showing signs of growth. I can post a photo of it separately, if you want to take a look at it.

My first impression of the palm on the left was really "Howea belmoreana". But afterwards I "corrected" this guess into Archontophoenix cunninghamiana because this is even more sensitive to direct sun. – I think it would be interesting if you post a pic of your Copernicia palms.

Here is your photo:

Talking about UV radiation... the Sun here is very strong, feels even stronger than in the Southern USA where I've been to a much south than Azores. Yet they don't spray much chemtrails here, so even my blood pressure has normalised (went from very high under medication to normal 120/80 without using the medication, which was a positively shocking surprise to me) after moving away from my job in the US and into the Azores. I suppose this is because of cleaner environment and because there's not much "chemical trails" here. But... to plants that means no much shield against UV. Although UV do penetrate clouds and even chemical clouds, but still, no clouds, probably means more UV. Just my guess and observation.

Here is your photo:

My first impression of the palm on the left was really "Howea belmoreana". But afterwards I "corrected" this guess into Archontophoenix cunninghamiana because this is even more sensitive to direct sun. – I think it would be interesting if you post a pic of your Copernicia palms.

I have Archontophoenix cunninghamiana growing in my front yard, in semi-shade depending on season and in summer it is mainly in the sun, but growing next to the house it is still in semi shade somehow.

Attached:

Copernicia hospita (2 photos)

Copernicia baileyana (3 photos)

Bismarckia nobilis with double leaf coming up at once

Ptychosperma elegans

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Areca catechu

Washingtonia filifera (something is eating their leaves, perhaps the climate too humid for these)

Veitchia montgomeriana

post-4470-0-40480500-1440964599_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-57925600-1440964619_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-50854600-1440964643_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-06501700-1440964664_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-02118900-1440964695_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-60017800-1440964723_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-75481100-1440964763_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-81842700-1440964799_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-35326100-1440964824_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-74183300-1440964853_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-96966800-1440964924_thumb.jp

Continued:

Carpentaria acuminata

The now dead Rhopalostylis sapida (Nikau?)

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, which is locally named as ELEGANTE and I confused it in the beginning for P. elegans (with ripped leaves)

post-4470-0-14051800-1440965024_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-80780100-1440965111_thumb.jp

post-4470-0-19963000-1440965148_thumb.jp

Nice photos. Yes, Washingtonia robusta would be better for your island than W. filifera. – I think the brown tips of the older leaves will disappear when the young palms have grown enough roots in their fairly big pots and produce fresh new leaves. :greenthumb:

As I mentioned in an earlier thread Archontonphoenix cunninghamiana was sold by nurseries in the past as Seaforthia elegans.

Nice photos. Yes, Washingtonia robusta would be better for your island than W. filifera. – I think the brown tips of the older leaves will disappear when the young palms have grown enough roots in their fairly big pots and produce fresh new leaves. :greenthumb:

As I mentioned in an earlier thread Archontonphoenix cunninghamiana was sold by nurseries in the past as Seaforthia elegans.

I see, yes, I brought wrong Washingtonia seeds with me (which probably are good for milder areas of Germany) and now I had Wash. robusta seeds confiscated by the Customs even that they grow here plenty. They are concerned about cleanness of seeds and most sellers do not pack accordingly to the law. Now I am blamed by the seller that I was taking the risk myself. I probably was. I'm gonna get both W. robusta amd filibusta seeds to try. Bought them in Germany from rareseeds in the past and once they grew for a couple years I realised they sent me wrong seeds. Now all I need is a few months and I can already tell which Washingtonia that is.

What do you grow in Germany and how does it grow? Do you get lucky to have zone 8A in your area or 7B? Or do you grow in a heated green house?

Edited by SoulofthePlace

The palms I am growing are all in containers, with one exception: In Heidelberg (49°24’N/114 m; zone 7) I have planted 2 still very young Trachycarpus wagnerianus outdoors.

Here a W. filifera, 9 years old and almost all year outside (photo from 1989, at 50°48’N):

post-10467-0-01853700-1440967683_thumb.j

I would guess nikau to be a good Azores palm. In Florida, Carpentaria seems to thrive on heat, which of course is what it gets at home in northern Australia.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I would guess nikau to be a good Azores palm. In Florida, Carpentaria seems to thrive on heat, which of course is what it gets at home in northern Australia.

Unfortunately Nikau has died, no matter what I did, I even tried to place it in semi shade or mostly shade, but I guess the problem was the "heat" during summer and perhaps even the wrongly sized pot. I am sure I will not try it again.

Edited by SoulofthePlace

Unfortunately Nikau has died, no matter what I did, I even tried to place it in semi shade or mostly shade, but I guess the problem was the "heat" during summer and perhaps even the wrongly sized pot. I am sure I will not try it again.

I think you bought your palms in the same spanish nursery that i am shopping my palms.

Always my palms arrived safely.

In a few times, the palms can be stressed, but with two weeks, always are happy.

The problem is if you put a big pot and water every days because you want they grow faster.

In a few days, you will have rot problems.

Two months ago i bought one syagrus botryophora and one Laccospadix australasicus.

Big pot, water, fertilicer and warm weather.

They was growing fast, but two weeks ago, i saw one leave brown.

I stopped the water and put fungicide.

Two weeks later, the Syagrus is making a new leave but my healthy and green Laccospadix....

post-12603-0-28304400-1441128575_thumb.j

post-12603-0-71296900-1441128601_thumb.j

post-12603-0-69369800-1441128627_thumb.j

Try to grow up imported palms only from seeds and not seedlings! During the transport (and at your customs!) the roots can dry out, be damaged, etc. Rhopalostylis are very easy to germinate.

There are severe problems here in the Azores growing from seed:

1. Low heat, not enough heat to germinate the seeds even during summer. I tried covering with polycarbonate, I think it gets too hot to germinate or whatever. Too much work.

2. Electricity s very expensive. I used a heated germinator, seeds did not germinate but I paid hundreds for electric bill.

3. Customs are confiscating seeds. Even now I bought seeds from Germany, it's been almost a month and nothing.

4. I don't need hundreds of palms, but very often you need 100 seeds to germinate 5 and survive 2. I then end up with hundred unwanted palms and risk becoming a nursery or a tree farm.

5. Many palms seeds are too hard to germinate. The easiest ones are Washingtonia. Even Bismarckia was easy to germinate in a hot climate. Not here. None have germinated after the usual 2-4 months.

All the palms I bought from Spain I requested in own soil and they ship in small pots with its own soil, always arrives wet soil, so the roots are never dried.

Regarding Nikau palm, I maybe try them from seed if as easy to germinate as Washingtonia, but then again, have to wait for June 2016 now to start germination. I also read that Rhopalostylis sapida is a very picky palm, hard to grow, needs shade etc.

I am still trying to germinate Fiji palm Pritchardia pacifica. None of the seed germinated, even if it is noted they are easy germinators. I bought 20 seeds. Now must buy 500 seeds next time, perhaps one will germinate in this never-hot climate. Or whatever their problem is. Some places send old seed. Even the seller in Spain told me Pritchardia pacifica is unavailable because they can't find good seed. Well I found 500 seeds seller easily on ebay, but is it "good or bad" seed, I don't know. My 20 seed do not germinate at all and it came from Reunion. None of the seeds from Reunion germinated so far.

:-)

Edited by SoulofthePlace

I think you bought your palms in the same spanish nursery that i am shopping my palms.

Always my palms arrived safely.

In a few times, the palms can be stressed, but with two weeks, always are happy.

The problem is if you put a big pot and water every days because you want they grow faster.

In a few days, you will have rot problems.

Two months ago i bought one syagrus botryophora and one Laccospadix australasicus.

Big pot, water, fertilicer and warm weather.

They was growing fast, but two weeks ago, i saw one leave brown.

I stopped the water and put fungicide.

Two weeks later, the Syagrus is making a new leave but my healthy and green Laccospadix....

Thanks for the good info. My Nikau probably died from rot or too big pot. Will try them again, some day. It was sent to me as a bonus and it arrived with one frond brown one slightly another green. Yours Syagrus botr. look ok too. Mine all pots have wet soil, not soggy but quite moist. I will stop watering for a few days. The mulch keeps the soil from drying out, so I don't need to water often. But I was wondering if some palms need water flow even if soil is wet. Usually if bareroot are mailed. I know that Bismarckia loves a lot of water. When seedlings arrive in their own soil in pots, I guess one does not need to water them much.

Edited by SoulofthePlace

I wonder if your germination problems have to do with bad seeds. I know people in S Miguel who germinate Kentias, bangalows, etc., no issues at all. I've witnessed them germinating spontaneously. I have lots of Queens that have germinated on my property by themselves, for example. Also seen "wild" Kentias which are very hard to germinate, as we know. Just a thought. That said, I've seen people force germinate seeds by simply diging a small depression and then covering with plastic, creating a mini greenhouse until the seed germinated.

São Miguel, Azores, 37N, Zone 11B, Elevation 110m, Yearly average 18c (64F), Record low 4c (40F), Record high 30 (86F)

I wonder if your germination problems have to do with bad seeds. I know people in S Miguel who germinate Kentias, bangalows, etc., no issues at all. I've witnessed them germinating spontaneously. I have lots of Queens that have germinated on my property by themselves, for example. Also seen "wild" Kentias which are very hard to germinate, as we know. Just a thought. That said, I've seen people force germinate seeds by simply diging a small depression and then covering with plastic, creating a mini greenhouse until the seed germinated.

I tried to germinate Pritchardia pacifica and Hyphorbe lagenicaulis and H. verschaffeltii in a plastic sealed bag behind water heater and in a plastic container on sun etc. but none germinated after many months. At least 6 months. I mean, not even one. Perhaps the seeds are bad. Then the seller who sold them would have a bad name on the internet. Can one check whether that or another seller is constantly selling bad seed and avoid buying from them in the future?