IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Show-and-Tell Kit

JT in Japan

Whenever I come to PT with a question, I always end up with a great many answers. This is a fruitful board because all the people involved are very into Palms and have scads of information to share. But I don't talk about palms to many people in my real world - at length - because they're not as interested. But today I was feeling different, so I put together a kit to do a little show-and-tell with some of them, to see if I could garner their interest.

I approached my barber, who has plenty of blooming flowers in her shop, my neighbourhood farmer, who grows hibiscus exclusively, and my neighbour, who has no interest in plants whatsoever.

Here's what I brought: The "kit" has five seedlings: Syagrus romannozoffiana, Trachy princeps, Syagrus weddellianum, Butyagrus, and Archo cunninghaminia. I also included some raw seeds along with some sprouting seeds in sphagnum moss. And I had photos on my iPad of all of the seedlings as mature trees.

post-7712-0-42335700-1440837225_thumb.jp

I told them about the Syagrus family, and the step-child Butyagrus. The weddellianum in Japanese is called the Princess Palm, not the Wedding palm, so that excited my barber ("so cute!") who liked seeing the queen and princess together.

My farmer neighbour is progressive, and in the process of putting some of his hibiscus cuttings through an X-ray machine, turning out wild new colours in his blooms like orange or gradients, so he was very interested in the mule, and the inherited characteristics it has.

post-7712-0-41260600-1440837584_thumb.jp

My non-interested neighbour offered me a beer while he flipped through the pics on my iPad, so that worked out well too. He said he wouldn't mind visiting Australia (while looking at the Bangalow).

post-7712-0-18189000-1440837855_thumb.jppost-7712-0-40365600-1440837872_thumb.jppost-7712-0-77453200-1440837905_thumb.jppost-7712-0-93456000-1440837922_thumb.jp

I think they all got a kick out of my Trachy fortunei seeds from Vancouver. Palms in Canada! Who'd athunkit? The fact that I got 95% germination out of my test batch, and still have about 400 more seeds, excited them less.

post-7712-0-15215000-1440837950_thumb.jp

All in all, they showed a respectable amount of genuine interest, and that was rewarding.

JTpost-7712-0-42335700-1440837225_thumb.jp

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Full kudos to you for promoting the 'cause'....

Mind you, whenever I attempt to talk to anyone about palms, their eyes tend to glaze over after which, they rapidly excuse themselves....

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

Good on you, spread the word. Are many Japanese familiar with the variegated Rhapis which hold a cult status over there?

Regards Neil