IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea regia vs boriquena

JubaeaMan138

Here's my 2 cents. I'm saying this assuming that what I'm growing is actually what the sellers told me they were. The most noticeable difference to me is that regia (& princeps for that matter) have peppery looking black spots on the petioles, whereas the borinquena has a totally clean emerald green petiole/ crownshaft. The only other noticeble feature on my borinquena is that the fronds are held above the horizontal, whereas the regia crown is much more hemispherical.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Bret, I totally agree with you!!

Borinquena are more up right.

There was a really good side by side picture posted a few months ago on the forum that shown this freature.

Not to mention Borinquena are more cold hardy

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thanks guys I knew about the cold hardiness figured there had to be a physical trait that was different though now to decide which one to get maybe I'll get both haha

Borquie trunk not as fat as regia

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Borquies are less plumose than regias. Borquie trunks are narrower and brown; regia trunks are fatter and gray, with more of a "coke bottle" shape as they age.

Borquies are definitely more resistant to cool weather (they don't yellow in the winter as much as regias sometimes do) though I'm not certain they'll take a frost better.

Borquies also take less water than regias do, though that doesn't mean borquies are drought tolerant.

Borquies don't seem to get that monster quality to leaves like regias do.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey here is a photo of Roystonea borinquena at faildchilds in Coral Gables, FL. The one on the left is very exceptional.

Above is Roystonea regia in its habitat at Royal Palm visitor center, Everglades National Park near Homesteade, FL. It is really hard to tell the difference between the two species.

great pictures David.

Borquies have a greener crown shaft. it's a dead give away.

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I'll have to look in the morning, but my R. borinquena have shorter frond lengths than R. regia. Also, the R. borinquena seem to have stiffer plumose leaflets whereas R. regia have a more droopy, softer feel to the leaflets.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I am going to be attempting a borquie up here...15g plant on the way today. Will give it some protection the first couple of winters. Would be cool to see if I can get it through a few years. Trying a R. regia 5g plant as well, just for fun.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I am going to be attempting a borquie up here...15g plant on the way today. Will give it some protection the first couple of winters. Would be cool to see if I can get it through a few years. Trying a R. regia 5g plant as well, just for fun.

Good luck Ben. If the 5g regias don't do well you should try a big 15g or bigger. They seem to speed up when they're bigger. I planted 6 15g regias about 1 1/2 years ago, the ones that had a little bit of trunk are the fastest and are fattening up already.

post-9726-0-08696500-1440862492_thumb.jppost-9726-0-11199700-1440862513_thumb.jp

Ben I bet the borquie does better than the regia. My borquie grows year round whereas the regia shows growth only in summer

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Here they are in May 2014. Shortly after they were planted.post-9726-0-91433000-1440862918_thumb.jp

Once they got well rooted in the soil I was able to step up the watering. That's when they started to get thick.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm not sure if either species is a long-termer up here, but we don't tend to get below 30 degrees where I live (I'm borderline 10a). The biggest question I think is - can they take the persistent cool for 3 months or so...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben Are yours being delivered from so cal today? I am also picking up some in 15 g from a gentlemen who said he had some delivery a up north

Ben Are yours being delivered from so cal today? I am also picking up some in 15 g from a gentlemen who said he had some delivery a up north

Yep...!

Ben Rogers

Living in PR there are lots of borinquenas!

However with no R. regias nearby (that I know of) I am not much help.

Gorgeous palms for sure!

Cindy Adair

Here is some (maybe) help. First pic is of Roystonea regia, which I have labeled R. elata, not because I disagree with its synonymity with R. regia, but as a reminder that its genes are from the population in the Fakahatchee Strand of SW Florida, in the population that use to be called R. elata. This was planted sometime in 2010 or 2011 (i failed to make the record of it) and is about 15-18 feet tall.

post-279-0-60904700-1440876625_thumb.jpg

This pic is of a pair of Roystonea borinquena. I got seeds from two sources, my own collection in the Dominican Republic and a palm colleague's collection from palms he grew in Florida from seeds he collected in Puerto Rico. I don't know which group these plants are from. They are about 15 feet tall and were planted in April 2012.

post-279-0-16787200-1440876622_thumb.jpg

What has surprised me is the erectness of the leaves of the R. borinquena. Also, the leaflets appear narrower and seem to have a twist to them. Flowers of R. borinquena are said to be yellow, but Eric in Orlanda showed a picture some months ago that showed a lot of red, again surprising. Flowers of R. regia are said to be white.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

hey Ben! Post some pictures of the bori? When u get it wondering what they look before I meet him to pick them up

hey Ben! Post some pictures of the bori? When u get it wondering what they look before I meet him to pick them up

As requested...here's my borquie gone in the ground today!

11891051_10152977160387234_4829744746173

Ben Rogers

Ben, you got that in he ground fast! I have to break out some old concrete before I can plant mine.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Woohoo! Did you have the hole dug and ready for it already? Good luck with it. I hope it does well for you. I bought a baby one once and didn't make it. I want to collect all the Royals at some point, they're one of my favorites.

I don't mess around! Yeah, I pre-dug the hole...so it showed up and I dropped it right in! Still need to run the drip irrigation for it tomorrow though.

Jim, you know you are addicted when you are re-claiming concrete areas for palms. :mrlooney: Pics when you get it in!

Ben Rogers

Borinquena is a much better grow in So Cal. Mine is enormous and flowering now, nice palm.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I don't mess around! Yeah, I pre-dug the hole...so it showed up and I dropped it right in! Still need to run the drip irrigation for it tomorrow though.

Jim, you know you are addicted when you are re-claiming concrete areas for palms. :mrlooney: Pics when you get it in!

I'll be swinging a big ol' long handle sledge hammer Sunday afternoon and my R. borinquena will be in the ground hopefully also right between a fifteen year old coconut queen and a huge 20+ year old Sabal Burmudana.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I'll be swinging a big ol' long handle sledge hammer Sunday afternoon and my R. borinquena will be in the ground hopefully also right between a fifteen year old coconut queen and a huge 20+ year old Sabal Burmudana.

Nice...good luck, sounds like a good workout! Show us once it's in!

Ben Rogers

Gary, what color(s) are there in your inflorescence? Is there a picture by any chance?

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I decided on a R. Regia. This one lost some fronds when it was potted up a few months back but now is out of shock mode and the spear is moving quick daily. Can't wait to see how the Borquies do

IMG_8981.jpg

Mike in Kurtistown has illustrated it perfectly. The borinquena has a stiffer, more upright feel to both the entire fronds and the leaflets as well. Here's my comparison.

Roystonea regia

post-126-0-41429600-1441032781_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-09835500-1441032791_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-57657200-1441032803_thumb.jpg

Roystonea borinquena (3 planted in a group)

post-126-0-85519500-1441032835_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-82116300-1441032842_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-39694200-1441032854_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-92099400-1441032860_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I ended up passing on the boriquena and went with a double Regia in a 30 in box about 9 foot over all I will take some pictures when I get

My help here to get it out of my truck haha plus I have to unload a dracena Draco that is in 25 gal container as well the wife is gonna be pissed !! Haha

• Upvote 1

So here it is in the back of the truck hard to see it is a double but hard to see I'll get some better pictures when I get it planted

post-13235-0-27030400-1441071429_thumb.j

I ended up passing on the boriquena and went with a double Regia in a 30 in box about 9 foot over all I will take some pictures when I get

My help here to get it out of my truck haha plus I have to unload a dracena Draco that is in 25 gal container as well the wife is gonna be pissed !! Haha

lol.. YOU GOT ANOTHER PALM??! I can hear it now