IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Neem Oil, adverse reaction?

sashaeffer

Curious if anyone that has used Neem oil as a insect control has experienced any negative reaction from the palm(s) treated.

In particular my Licuala auvantieca which has been growing great indoors suddenly started to have severe frond discoloration, almost like it was drying up as it curls, turns crispy then I have to remove the frond. It started with just the lowest fronds, and has been working it's way through the rest. Palm has sustained steady growth, pushing another new spear while another was opening. I have similar condition on a 3ft tall lipstick palm as well(see last pic) The only other thing different with the Licuala was that I has sprinkled Cayenne pepper over the wood chips I kept on top of the soil to keep moisture in. I have a dog that loves to pull the chips out and chew on them, and the Cayenne pepper keeps her out. Have used it on other palms with no issue.

I can't remember if I used store bought pre mixed neem oil that I had, or the concentrate I mixed up to spray with. Both palms weren't suffering for any sign of a pest but there was a couple other species of palms near by that were, so treated the group as a preventative. I wondered if maybe if I had used the spray that I mixed may have been to strong even though it was a small amount for a 1qt spray bottle.

any ideas?

post-9928-0-70483700-1440700165_thumb.jppost-9928-0-53849100-1440700186_thumb.jppost-9928-0-85612500-1440700209_thumb.jp

There are two dangers when using Neem on plants 1) you don't rinse it off later which can basically suffocate leaves. Different plants behave differently, where some won't have issue while others can die. 2) you use with the sun out or under growing light indoors. This burns leaves.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I appreciate that advice. I had wondered about the oil suffocating the plant since that is what it does to bugs.

The pics I took were in the tub rinsing them off just in case.

So when using Neem....it's wise to let it sit on palm for a couple of days to do it's job then rinse off?

Most oils are not recommended for use when temperatures are above 80.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

These are indoor/potted palms.

Potted or in the ground palms outside don't have issues with damaging insects although I do spray them with general lawn insect killer before bringing in for the winter mostly to keep those critters out of the house.

When you are using oil sprays in a hand held sprayer you need to keep agitating the mix as you go or the oil will float on top of the water; then when you reach the bottom of the tank you have too high of a concentrate.

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

When you are using oil sprays in a hand held sprayer you need to keep agitating the mix or the oil will float on top; then when you get to the bottom of the tank you will have a very hot concentrate. learned this the hard way.

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

When you are using oil sprays in a hand held sprayer you need to keep agitating the mix as you go or the oil will float on top of the water; then when you reach the bottom of the tank you have too high of a concentrate.

Yes, common sense there but I'm sure I wasn't good about shaking bottle as well as I should. More good advice, thanks.

Scott,

I would recommend Volk oil if you are so inclined to use an oil. You can buy it at the big box chain home improvement stores.

It's safer to use on palms and it wont burn up your leaves like neem oil

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I appreciate that advice. I had wondered about the oil suffocating the plant since that is what it does to bugs.

The pics I took were in the tub rinsing them off just in case.

So when using Neem....it's wise to let it sit on palm for a couple of days to do it's job then rinse off?

My experience with Neem stopped many years ago, so I might not be the best help. During the last uses of Neem I would apply at dusk, then rinse off in the morning. It seemed to help a lot. One mistake I made (totally stupid) is that I never really thought about the fact different Neem oil makers might have it at different concentrations. One time I bought a different brand away from the usual stuff I bought and it burnt many of my Hibiscus. I looked at the label and it was way more concentrated!

As far as palms, I found in my greenhouse that topical species (use to heavy transpiration rates) burn a lot easier than those from drier areas. It would be tough to burn a Brahea armata leaf for example. The more tropical palms are more sensitive - as you found out.

Just from my personal opinion, I wouldn't treat healthy plants with anything. If you are concerned about future infection because you know it will happen (indoor plants fit here), I would treat systemically. Contact solutions are not the best preventatives, more for curative.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Scott,

I would recommend Volk oil if you are so inclined to use an oil. You can buy it at the big box chain home improvement stores.

It's safer to use on palms and it wont burn up your leaves like neem oil

I had sprayed the Licuala auvantieca before my trip out to S. California so it's been ongoing. Luckily, this palm is a fast grower and if Neem caused the damage new growth should be fine. I have since rinsed the fronds left in the shower. I will though look for the Volk oil here in Omaha.