IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing Bismarck! What do I do now??

s9601694

Thanks for the useful post...

i have 2 and just one leaf has emerged for each... Should I repot them right away or better wait till next year ( here will be cooler soon)?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I love these, but beware as the fronds falling from 30 feet up can seriously do harm to anyone standing under them, they are heavy. I wouldn't plant them near pathways.

Cheers Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

• 2 months later...

Size update!

They are growing nicely. They like the super hot spot i put them in. Now the rains have stopped i water them once a week and gave them some fertilizer a few weeks ago.  

20160716 bismarck1.JPG

20160716 bismarck 2.JPG

• Upvote 5

On April 18, 2016 11:32:26 PM, Mohsen said:

Thanks for the useful post...

i have 2 and just one leaf has emerged for each... Should I repot them right away or better wait till next year ( here will be cooler soon)?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

These can take a good bit of sun at an early age.  I wouldn't repot these at this point.  They like to dry out between waterings.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Kris said:

Dear Rik,

Nice effort and nice coloured containers.:greenthumb:

Love,

Kris.

Thanks! those are all original Home Depot Homer's All Purpose Buckets!

• Upvote 1

As i'm (mentally) preparing to plant these next spring, i plan on digging a large hole and backfilling it with what they like. I'll build the backfill up so that they are higher than their surrounding area and put a mount around it for moisture retention..

"what they like" is key. I was thinking of getting a whole bunch of well draining sandy dirt and mixing that up with some rich soil. then after planting a thick layer of much.. 

How do bismarcks do with moisture? this area in my yard sometimes floods and stays wet for a few days or weeks in spring/early summer. 

Any suggestions/advice? 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have 2 Bismarck's and my question is...When do I gather the seeds. Some have fallen off the tree and are on the ground. Do I take the green ones off the tree or what. Do I leave the till they turn brown? Do I peel the flesh off or leave them alone? Do I soak the seeds or just plant them?

Please any help would be great.

Thanks

Cajun Cindy