IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Josh-O in Carlsbad

sashaeffer

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Dude, that oleracea was flicking my ear for 500 miles today! ;)

hehehehehehe!

was it worth it?:winkie:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

hehehehehehe!

was it worth it?:winkie:

I'm sure it will be.  Still need to unload tomorrow.  All tuckered out after all those miles!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

8 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm sure it will be.  Still need to unload tomorrow.  All tuckered out after all those miles!

thanks again for making that monster drive down to my garden. Post pic's when you get them planted :) 

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Josh-O said:

thanks again for making that monster drive down to my garden. Post pic's when you get them planted :) 

And thanks again for showing me around!  Awesome place and so glad to have made the trip.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I know that drive....when I drive up to Santa Rosa I hit LA traffic and Oakland traffic.....it's great.<_<  Nice meeting you yesterday Ben and getting the tour, Josh's place is coming along nicely as is the Palmyness TM

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

12 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Awesome time indeed and finally nice to meet you. I'm still tripping on how many big palms we put in your little car. I think you have done this before.  :) 

IMG_3560.JPG.5afb608bbfb61f3ae5099133895IMG_3559.JPG.1dbe3af3991c72805a5d26170ecIMG_3562.JPG.a3b2e9d40c029a42b44e8375a6c

This is hilarious. I am always amazed at what palm nuts will go through to satisfy their addition. 

• Upvote 5

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

53 minutes ago, LJG said:

This is hilarious. I am always amazed at what palm nuts will go through to satisfy their addition. 

gotta love it.

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

Met Josh for the first time yesterday at his Carlsbad garden... wow lots of plants in that garden!  Cool to see many trunking palms that I have been considering planting myself.  I got a couple of very nice larger New Caledonia palms, as well as few small Dypsis to take home, and had to hold myself back on a few items which I would love to have, but must prioritize my space.  Josh was very helpful in sharing his experiences and advice.  I'll definitely be going back.  Looking forward to visiting his bigger space in Vista sometime soon too!   Below are the Cyphophoenix balansae and Burretiokentia koghiensis I got from Josh to see the quality.

20160227-104A1075 Cyphophoenix balansae.jpg

20160228-104A1086 B koghiensis.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks Josh! Look at that beefy looking new leaf spike for a tiny plant, can't wait to decide where it will go!56d33b3a22598_20160228-104A1091Dypsisbef

• Upvote 1

The real thing when it comes to that rather confusing thing named Dypsis ambositrae and Dypsis mahajanga form of D madagascariensis, which I had never considered until I saw his in the ground.56d33c81ed38a_20160228-104A1093Dypsismah56d33c1e9f964_20160228-104A1090Dypsisamb

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

The real thing when it comes to that rather confusing thing named Dypsis ambositrae and Dypsis mahajanga form of D madagascariensis, which I had never considered until I saw his in the ground.56d33c81ed38a_20160228-104A1093Dypsismah56d33c1e9f964_20160228-104A1090Dypsisamb

That D. Ambo will be jumbo size in a couple years.

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

Thanks Josh! Look at that beefy looking new leaf spike for a tiny plant, can't wait to decide where it will go!56d33b3a22598_20160228-104A1091Dypsisbef

Thanks again for stopping by. It was great to finally meet you :)  

That Beff is starting to blow up!!!

Sunset zone 24

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2015‎ ‎7‎:‎07‎:‎01‎, DoomsDave said:

Whoa!

THAT is a serious PRA!

Show us what you got?

Just seeing this now, and palms scattered around my house for the winter. I did by chance talk to Josh tonight by phone getting some advice from him and made a point to tell him all the Dypsis I bought from him are doing great and growing like crazy, even indoors for the winter.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Just seeing this now, and palms scattered around my house for the winter. I did by chance talk to Josh tonight by phone getting some advice from him and made a point to tell him all the Dypsis I bought from him are doing great and growing like crazy, even indoors for the winter.

Scott, Its always fun to chat it up about palms and Life :) 

Cheers amigo!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

On 31/12/2015, 8:16:17, LJG said:

Yeah, carried in suitcases, in hand bags through airport security, on bicycle, in classic shopping carts ect

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Yeah, carried in suitcases, in hand bags through airport security, on bicycle, in classic shopping carts ect

your almost worse than me.. lol

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a 100 Dypsis prestoniana seeds from Josh the other day. Super quick shipping and he tossed in a lot of extras.. Hope they are going to enjoy the Costa Rican sun! Pura Vida!

Zone 13 

450' jungle river up to 700' open sun B)

3 hours ago, Fishmoose said:

Bought a 100 Dypsis prestoniana seeds from Josh the other day. Super quick shipping and he tossed in a lot of extras.. Hope they are going to enjoy the Costa Rican sun! Pura Vida!

in your climate they will be a slam dunk!

thanks for the business :)

cheers,

Josh

Sunset zone 24

• 4 weeks later...

Finally was able to meet Josh the other week and make it down to his Vista garden.  Impressive individual as well as his garden.  Was able to pick up quite a few palms from him that day and followed up a few weeks later with three more from his Carlsbad home.  After that second visit my wife has stated  that I'm no longer allowed to talk to Josh!  Seriously, the passion and knowledge that Josh possesses is clearly reflected in the quality and diversity of his collection.  Thank you Josh, I will be back.

Orange, Ca USDA Zone 10a Elevation 246'

Sunset Zone 23

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2016, 10:14:38, Forellan said:

Finally was able to meet Josh the other week and make it down to his Vista garden.  Impressive individual as well as his garden.  Was able to pick up quite a few palms from him that day and followed up a few weeks later with three more from his Carlsbad home.  After that second visit my wife has stated  that I'm no longer allowed to talk to Josh!  Seriously, the passion and knowledge that Josh possesses is clearly reflected in the quality and diversity of his collection.  Thank you Josh, I will be back.

Thanks for all the very kind and positive notes above Tim :) It's always a pleasure hanging out with you and talking palms. The funny thing is when you came over yesterday your wife didn't even come out of the car. My wife does the same thing when I visit gardens and other local nurseies. She thinks I'm "NUTS"..lol

you need to post some pictures of your garden soon :greenthumb:

cheers,

Josh

Sunset zone 24

I think she feels that showing interest would just further enable my obsession. She was a little concerned this visit because not only did I get back in the car with cash still in my pocket I did not come back to her requesting additional funding!  Thanks again for the palms and for sharing your knowledge and passion.

Sunset Zone 23

That's a nifty Syagrus ollie! The ones at the Darian were spledid; ran out and bought a couple for myself.

Do, please, show the pictures.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 months later...
On 5/16/2016, 6:33:21, DoomsDave said:

That's a nifty Syagrus ollie! The ones at the Darian were spledid; ran out and bought a couple for myself.

Do, please, show the pictures.

they are a very cool palm indeed!

Sunset zone 24

38 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

they are a very cool palm indeed!

EEK!

Wish I could edit . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

Had a great visit and PRA with Palm Talks very own Ben Rogers from Nor. Cal yesterday. Ben single had-idly is the master of long range shopping trips down to the promise land (San Diego). Maybe Ben can chime in and tells us how many hours and miles he drove? When Ben left his mini van (Rental to clarify because that thing got jacked up with mud) was low riding out of my place..lol His van was so packed I bet folks on the road might of thought he stole part of a rain forest.

Its always a pleasure to see you in person Ben. You are truly a stand up guy!!!

cheers!!

IMG_8093.JPG.b093a75e39fd2845f30445cb74dIMG_8095.JPG.e1c313a5dc9471c41af002ec164IMG_8094.JPG.e7c1c997efca33d15b66f1f4341IMG_8096.JPG.1d728d99054fe5713e8d6e8ae68IMG_8097.JPG.eba4984d7cdc0ca3bba0c713999IMG_8098.JPG.a8099d51cd799f9e87d99dad481IMG_8099.JPG.6d4eca2068643027c2fbcceeda7

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

Just unloading here this morning, Josh - doing what I can with the family truckster, but Enterprise may be displeased!

Really not a bad trip.  Palm collecting until 11 a.m., home before 7!  No worries...

A+ stuff from Josh as usual...the maximas I brought up are MONSTERS, and Derrick (Enigma99) is going to be happy with his big ole' lutescens!

Ben Rogers

9 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Just unloading here this morning, Josh - doing what I can with the family truckster, but Enterprise may be displeased!

Really not a bad trip.  Palm collecting until 11 a.m., home before 7!  No worries...

A+ stuff from Josh as usual...the maximas I brought up are MONSTERS, and Derrick (Enigma99) is going to be happy with his big ole' lutescens!

thanks again :)

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

That car was packed!!!!!

And Josh never disappoints.

Thanks Jim :)

Sunset zone 24

Wanted to Add to everyone's Great Visits to Josh Palace of Palms! Been going to Josh over the past 7 or 8  months almost monthly to buy Palms, Plants, Etc.  

If its Cool, if it's Rare, If it's Big Chances are Josh has got it! He is an Encyclapedia of Knowledge and has me helped me grow some great stuff in my yard!  I went on my first trip knowing very little buying common palms and have slowly improved my Yard greatly with Josh's recommendations based on my Climate location.  There is no where else i would go to buy palms or go to for questions.   Find myself going through his nursery or garden just noticing really cool plants & palms every trip and walking away w Awesome stuff.  Only going to get in time as he continues to grow more awesome stuff.   Keep it up Josh, will keep coming up.  Picked up some really cool stuff today and tagging stuff for next pay day lol. 

He's got them all from liners, all the way to box sizes.  Chances are you can see the full size in his yard if your curious to see what it will look like in 20 years ! 

On 12/13/2016, 11:23:48, Briank said:

Wanted to Add to everyone's Great Visits to Josh Palace of Palms! Been going to Josh over the past 7 or 8  months almost monthly to buy Palms, Plants, Etc.  

If its Cool, if it's Rare, If it's Big Chances are Josh has got it! He is an Encyclapedia of Knowledge and has me helped me grow some great stuff in my yard!  I went on my first trip knowing very little buying common palms and have slowly improved my Yard greatly with Josh's recommendations based on my Climate location.  There is no where else i would go to buy palms or go to for questions.   Find myself going through his nursery or garden just noticing really cool plants & palms every trip and walking away w Awesome stuff.  Only going to get in time as he continues to grow more awesome stuff.   Keep it up Josh, will keep coming up.  Picked up some really cool stuff today and tagging stuff for next pay day lol. 

He's got them all from liners, all the way to box sizes.  Chances are you can see the full size in his yard if your curious to see what it will look like in 20 years ! 

awesome feed back Brian!!  Its people like you that get me excited about growing palms and and rare trees. Gosh, your yard will be legendary once your rare collection starts to grow up. I cant believe you schizzy has gotten that big so fast. I love that plant. keep up the good work and I will see you in a couple weeks for your next load :)

Sunset zone 24

Josh, thanks for the great Lutescens and Maxima! I already had two other Lutescens but they were not quite as big as yours. They are both in the ground getting their roots out for next summer :)

And Ben, thanks for putting up with it tickling your face for all those miles! haha

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2016, 7:07:42, enigma99 said:

Josh, thanks for the great Lutescens and Maxima! I already had two other Lutescens but they were not quite as big as yours. They are both in the ground getting their roots out for next summer :)

And Ben, thanks for putting up with it tickling your face for all those miles! haha

thanks for the business !! I'm glad you are pleased with your new toys.

Post some pictures of your new found beauties in the ground :):yay::greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Josh-O said:

thanks for the business !! I'm glad you are pleased with your new toys.

Post some pictures of your new found beauties in the ground :):yay::greenthumb:

Took these today.

Maxima next to a R. Borenquena. Still need to clean up the bananas that blew over the other day

IMG_0450.jpg

Your lutescens is the one on the right. Hard to get a good pic in there

IMG_0455.jpg

18 hours ago, enigma99 said:
18 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Took these today.

Maxima next to a R. Borenquena. Still need to clean up the bananas that blew over the other day

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Took these today.

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

wow! I love the jungle look. Is that a monkey to the right behind the banana? :)

good job Derrick!!

Sunset zone 24

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again for the cool additions Josh! Your place gets more impressive each time!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

48 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Thanks again for the cool additions Josh! Your place gets more impressive each time!!

its always a blast hanging out with you Bill!!

I always learn something new about palms when you come over :)

cheers!!

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

its always a blast hanging out with you Bill!!

I always learn something new about palms when you come over :)

cheers!!

I'm overdue to come waste some of your time at your Homestead too... ;)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

5 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I'm overdue to come waste some of your time at your Homestead too... ;)

come on over any time. I make a mean mai tai

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

I keep hearing rumors of these mean mai tai's, but at this point they remain a rumor to me!  Seriously though, thanks for the coronata X  picrophylla.  She went in the ground    Sunday and the blues were quite evident in the afternoon sun.  Thanks again!

Sunset Zone 23