IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Surprises

Daryl

How often do you see palms growing that often struggle in he hands of collectors, then one day you see perfect examples growing in somebody's garden? Maybe they don't know that they are hard to grow, or maybe they have a green thumb? I find it amusing that you see these things from time to time...

Common concensus is that Adonidia merrillii is a difficult palm to grow in the Brisbane area. Most planted specimens never get to the size and health that they do in more tropical climates. Many here have tried and failed, and a lot that are kept alive look less than optimal...

How's this for a mass planting of Adonidia? Makes you reconsider what can and can't be grown!

post-42-0-73143500-1438119222_thumb.jpg

Feel free to add your experiences with these types of freaky occurances...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Is that garden around the Kuraby beenleigh area Daryl?? Just south of bris? I believe we supplied these to this customer over 10 years ago.

Hi Ben, yes spot-on....Kuraby

Care to share the story?

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow they are good lookers.

I remember seeing the only Adonidia I could find in the Perth area growing perfectly in South Perth and fruiting. It would have been 6m tall in front of 3 story building on the north side of the building. I really had to take a double take when I saw it. I couldn't succeed with this species in Perth at all.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I'd love to know this guy's secret to good growth...maybe soil alkalinity?

Not much to tell Daryl... This bloke loved these palms and bout them about 20 at a time... I am away from the nursery for a few days but will post pics from shortly after they were planted when I get back.

As far as I am aware he never had problems growing these. I think it faces north / west which means full sun all day all year

Not much to tell Daryl... This bloke loved these palms and bought them about 20 at a time... I am away from the nursery for a few days but will post pics from shortly after they were planted when I get back.

As far as I am aware he never had problems growing these. I think it faces north / west which means full sun all day all year

I don't think the bloke who planted them lives in that house anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I just remembered that I promised to post pics of these palms from shortly after they were planted.

I cant find any information from when these were planted but the customer is no longer on our computer system which tells me they were planted over 12 years ago. We still have these pics labelled as Vietchia so that will give some indication of age also.

Thanks for the update Ben....they have put on some size since planted.