IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Orchids in bloom July 2015 in Puerto Rico

Cindy Adair

Finally I am here to see all the buds open! I still haven't walked the entire seven acres since I arrived July 14 but soon!

So nice to have the luxury of time!

post-4111-0-51921800-1437920493_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-33589700-1437920552_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-14988600-1437920630_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-45369400-1437920677_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-42696700-1437920773_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

And the last ones for today!

Way too nice to stay inside any longer!

I apologize for not using my better camera and just grabbing the phone. Eventually I'll get back on track with clearer photographs!

post-4111-0-80733300-1437921388_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-04770200-1437921431_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

So cool to see you living your dream...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

:greenthumb::greenthumb: Fantastic pictures of some very happy Orchids!

Hope everything you brought down there from your Greenhouse is settling in nicely.

-Nathan

• 1 month later...

Well it is September and no longer July as this thread suggests... Some more to add!  No water by me or fertilizer ever. In some photos you can see the plastic ties.IMG_9191.thumb.jpg.4f5783f797412232e2e64

IMG_9192.thumb.jpg.087ee66f6a7f8dd621c93

DSCN0223.thumb.jpg.304afa7331d99cd505798

DSCN0227.thumb.jpg.9530ecf9370f50a5bca7bDSCN0294.thumb.jpg.20690fdd1e38f87b5dcf8DSCN0368.thumb.jpg.b925c39b6a35641a4c5c2

DSCN0389.thumb.jpg.56bdf182322140054457f

DSCN0404.thumb.jpg.fd97bfe54147db9b6f21c

DSCN0440.thumb.jpg.a2f5605800d7ce5c1a2d5

DSCN0441.thumb.jpg.7fe1cf86d2324f38b5bcd

DSCN0657.thumb.jpg.f1a11824fa94c4791cba5

DSCN0450.thumb.jpg.8a5ecf92ea4f376675e44

DSCN0452.thumb.jpg.39da82f8ed8b232c4ab99

DSCN0665.thumb.jpg.82c7ba47148709e8cd15d

DSCN0666.thumb.jpg.c827375fe3e7be987efea

DSCN0715.thumb.jpg.aefb0178981997fd2d5ac

IMG_9198.thumb.jpg.2faa00c236b05c2e806c5IMG_9199.thumb.jpg.a7ad5720035214c64c2ca

Edited by Cindy Adair
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Great collection!  Really nice variety!  I'm jealous about the no water part.  And the part about 7 acres.

This year, because of the drought, I reduced watering to twice a week.  Most of my orchids were fine because I'm primarily interested in drought tolerant epiphytes.  But there were a few casualties.  

Around a month ago I was surprised to discover that a few orchid seeds had germinated on my tree.  No idea who they are... but I was impressed that they managed to germinate in such dry conditions.  So two days ago I climbed up my tree and removed a ton of Tillandsia aeranthos from the prime real estate.  I stuffed them into fruit mesh nets and hung them from a chain link fence.  Then I soaked around 20 pods worth of orchid seeds.  Yesterday I went back up the tree and used an eye dropper to sow the seeds on the tree.  It took a while!     

Generally I'd lean more towards spring sowing... but if the wet winter predictions are correct... then I thought I'd give a head start to any of the 10 million or so seeds that happen to be cooler growers.  If any of the cooler growers also happen to be warmer growers as well drier growers... then they'll win the race.  

Great collection!  Really nice variety!  I'm jealous about the no water part.  And the part about 7 acres.

This year, because of the drought, I reduced watering to twice a week.  Most of my orchids were fine because I'm primarily interested in drought tolerant epiphytes.  But there were a few casualties.  

Around a month ago I was surprised to discover that a few orchid seeds had germinated on my tree.  No idea who they are... but I was impressed that they managed to germinate in such dry conditions.  So two days ago I climbed up my tree and removed a ton of Tillandsia aeranthos from the prime real estate.  I stuffed them into fruit mesh nets and hung them from a chain link fence.  Then I soaked around 20 pods worth of orchid seeds.  Yesterday I went back up the tree and used an eye dropper to sow the seeds on the tree.  It took a while!     

Generally I'd lean more towards spring sowing... but if the wet winter predictions are correct... then I thought I'd give a head start to any of the 10 million or so seeds that happen to be cooler growers.  If any of the cooler growers also happen to be warmer growers as well drier growers... then they'll win the race.  

Thanks for the complements on my orchids. I like the weird ones as well as the ones that are classically beautiful.

Good for you helping to spread those orchid seeds! Hope you see many seedlings from your efforts.

Thank you also Ben1. So impressive to see that my pictures were viewed even in Germany.

Cindy Adair

I swear I hadn't even noticed the bud on this one and it is the size of my open hand and only 3 feet from my door! 

DSCN0749.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

You must be an orchid whisperer!  These are otherworldly. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

swoon!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This little one has a nice fragrance and was in bloom at the Redland's orchid festival in May and now again this morning. And it is near my porch and I hadn't even noticed the buds...  That would have never happened in my greenhouse in Virginia but here there is so much to look at and everything grows at warp speed, including vines!

DSCN0804.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the complements on my orchids. I like the weird ones as well as the ones that are classically beautiful.

Good for you helping to spread those orchid seeds! Hope you see many seedlings from your efforts.

Thank you also Ben1. So impressive to see that my pictures were viewed even in Germany.

Yes for sure! Pictures like yours help me getting through the nasty and looooong european winter!

It puts me in the tropics even though just for a minute and only in my mind :wub:

So thank you, Cindy!

Thank you so much. Just for you I'll add two more photos before I have to leave free wi fi.

DSCN1015.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair