IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dwarf Canary Island Date Palm at the Koreshan

Loxahatchee Adam

I was at the Koreshan State Historic Site this past weekend and came across this:

post-10183-0-63287900-1437331574_thumb.j

post-10183-0-14270000-1437331580_thumb.j

post-10183-0-77425400-1437331584_thumb.j

Pitiful. CIDPs are so not suited to FL.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I don't care what the sign says. That's no Phoenix canariensis! It may be a hybrid roebelenii cross or even a pure roebelenii. Either way, it's pretty homely at best and outright ugly at worst.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

That palm needs to meet a chainsaw. The CIDPs around here look great. Especially the ones around St George Island and Panama City Beach.

for sure a roebelenii something..

fugly no doubt

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

What kind of CIDP is that? No way! This is not a CIDP im 100% sure.

In Spain the people (in the Spanish eBay) sell "coconuts" and in fact they are Syagrus or Dypsis. And the best is that they sell a lot, so I think that here happens the same... who did that did not know what he was talking about.

I've never seen that in my entire life. I've seen 10cm, 20cm, 30cm, 1m, 2m etc CIDP and naturalised ones and they grow fat and wide, not tall and thin. :laugh2: those leaves also aren't from a CIDP

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

That is an unirrigated and unfertilized P. roebelenii.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Yes, just a sickly roebelenii. It's just funny to me how at the site it's a historic palm that they've even documented as such.

I'm guessing that somewhere "Pygmy Date Palm" got lost in translation to Dwarf Canary Island Date palm.

Most probably advanced boron deficiency! I would keep it there as a very weird spectacle.

yes,even i felt so about boron deficiency !

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

That's a roebelenii. I disagree that Canary island date palms don't do well in Florida. I think they look better there than they do in California.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 2 months later...

Reminds me of a REAL canary I saw in Crescent City, FL that was pretty messed up.

16llfuw.jpg2nunl36.jpg

Edited by Opal92

From Betrock's Landscape Palms: "Tall palms that have reached close proximity to high voltage powerlines have been observed with yellowed or necrotic leaves despite regular fertilization and no evidence of pests or disease, suggesting that the electromagnetic fields around these lines can injure them."

Wonder it that's what is going on with the above palm.