IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Two Dypsis Mysteries Officially Clarified

Dypsisdean

On 7/18/2015, 8:17:37, olivier971 said:

And a third one, that is closed to the second one (especially the leaflets disposal), but with differents colors and no really scales on petioles and crownshaft. I think that could be the same as the previous one, and so, that could be also the real D pilulifera

15689381097_3653c1dc3b_c.jpg

15849337456_9e51ee8fc3_c.jpg

15873159541_577ca20ca4_c.jpg

15873159761_1eee4c04d2_c.jpg

Dr Dransfield, and others of course, i would really like to read your comments about all our observations in Andasibe - Madagascar (the locality type of D pilulifera !!)

Len, do you think this is that special palm we both have growing? Yours from Mardy, mine from Ron.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

D. pilulifera is described as having "auricles" (ear like flaps on the leaf sheath).   I don't see these on the above but maybe it is too young?

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Len, do you think this is that special palm we both have growing? Yours from Mardy, mine from Ron.

Yes. Mentioned that earlier. I saw this very Palm while there. Dead ringer. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

8 hours ago, LJG said:

Yes. Mentioned that earlier. I saw this very Palm while there. Dead ringer. 

Hmmmm,

What was Ron calling them when he sold this palm?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I think these came in as "Ovobontsira" from Alfred. I think that is what Ron told me. I know it was a one-time seed distribution from him. That's why you never see these in cultivation. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

6 hours ago, LJG said:

I think these came in as "Ovobontsira" from Alfred. I think that is what Ron told me. I know it was a one-time seed distribution from him. That's why you never see these in cultivation. 

I very vaguely remember that too. I DO remember calling them "baby big curlys" when I saw them as liners as they were getting plumose at a VERY early point unlike the oreopedeonis which they closely resemble when older. The oreopedeonis has regular leaflets until 2-3 times the age of the "mystery".. palm.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

6 hours ago, LJG said:

Gosh, I wish I wouldn't of chopped mine down to make room to plant a dypsis plumosa :mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Gosh, I wish I wouldn't of chopped mine down to make room to plant a dypsis plumosa :mrlooney:

Really?????

17 hours ago, LJG said:

I'm curious - is the "ovobontsira" that Jeff M currently sells a different thing then?

4 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Really?????

i was just joking ...lol

Sunset zone 24

14 minutes ago, Pando said:

I'm curious - is the "ovobontsira" that Jeff M currently sells a different thing then?

that's probably;y going to be the "blue" vatovavy.

maybe Len will chime in. I think he saw these in habitat..?

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Pando said:

tumblr_m9yo8kmCHy1qzrjom.gif

this is the blue vatovavy I had to cut down recently. it grew to fast :mrlooney::rolleyes::winkie:

dypsis-blue-vatovavy.jpg.938d0f66fc8bc16

Sunset zone 24

34 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

that's probably;y going to be the "blue" vatovavy.

maybe Len will chime in. I think he saw these in habitat..?

No. Two different palms for sure. I think confusion came from that metallic Ovo thing Marcus was selling. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

IIRC Blue vatovavy is most often mistaken for the "current" Dypsis ampansandavae.

1 hour ago, LJG said:

No. Two different palms for sure. I think confusion came from that metallic Ovo thing Marcus was selling. 

I fell under the "confused category"  lol

sent you a few text pic's of the one I have growing in my front yard

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2015, 10:11:34, LJG said:

What Mardy has been growing and calling Dypsis pilulifera looks to be the real deal and called such ever since he got it.

Time for this thread to get a bump.  Saturday at the So Cal Palm Society tour of the Hamann garden, we got to see a beautiful palm which Greg has labeled as Dypsis pilulifera.  I'm wondering if it would currently be labeled as pilulifera or something else.  I love what it looks like, and would love to try growing it enough that I bought the small 1 gallons labeled as D pilulifera which went up in the auction after the tour.  Photos for you to ponder....

20170520-104A6506.jpg

20170520-104A6507.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

34 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Time for this thread to get a bump.  Saturday at the So Cal Palm Society tour of the Hamann garden, we got to see a beautiful palm which Greg has labeled as Dypsis pilulifera.  I'm wondering if it would currently be labeled as pilulifera or something else.  I love what it looks like, and would love to try growing it enough that I bought the small 1 gallons labeled as D pilulifera which went up in the auction after the tour.  Photos for you to ponder....

20170520-104A6506.jpg

20170520-104A6507.jpg

No auricles....

3 hours ago, richnorm said:

No auricles....

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

I'm wondering if it would currently be labeled as pilulifera or something else.

So when you eliminate D. pilulifera due to the no auricles in the photos I shared, any thoughts on what you think it is instead?  The name changes over the years, makes it difficult to determine what to seek if you want to get a plant now that will resemble some of the mature specimens one sees in gardens but were labeled many years ago.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

59 minutes ago, Tracy said:

So when you eliminate D. pilulifera due to the no auricles in the photos I shared, any thoughts on what you think it is instead?  The name changes over the years, makes it difficult to determine what to seek if you want to get a plant now that will resemble some of the mature specimens one sees in gardens but were labeled many years ago.

I would hesitate to offer a name without seeing it up close and personal and even then it would be a case of "it looks like this that came in as that....."   Several Dypsis will give a similar appearance.  Looks ready to seed though!

9 hours ago, richnorm said:

No auricles....

Rich, do you have a photo of a pilulifera with auricles?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

2 hours ago, LJG said:

Rich, do you have a photo of a pilulifera with auricles?

No!  And according to PoM they disintegrate so maybe it is quite a subtle feature in this sp... Maybe they would show up on a close up?

6 hours ago, richnorm said:

No!  And according to PoM they disintegrate so maybe it is quite a subtle feature in this sp... Maybe they would show up on a close up?

I have never seen them on any of the palms going around as Pilulifera. Gives an idea of what these botanist are up against with Malagasy palms. I collected seed of D utilis when there. It was the wrong time of year so barely brought anything home, but the 8 seed of Utilis had 50% germination. 3 are red seedlings like all other Utilis I have seen, but one it bright green. Couldn't imagine all the crazy stuff Clayton or Marcus have seen over years. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin