IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moving 386 plants from Virginia to Puerto Rico

Cindy Adair

Pictures probably say it best!

Inspection of all the plants came first but as PR is U.S. they all passed and I made copies of all the official forms to go in each box.

Here are some before pictures in my neglected greenhouse in Virginia.

post-4111-0-47849200-1437092380_thumb.jppost-4111-0-14211800-1437092460_thumb.jp

Next I bare rooted most everything.

post-4111-0-01713200-1437092543_thumb.jp

Then I fit them all in two huge wardrobe boxes and one largest the airline allows as luggage box.

Yes they were no challenge for the old Volvo station wagon.

post-4111-0-43185800-1437092669_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-44240300-1437092744_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I had never shipped air cargo so it was an interesting experience. Timed it the day before I left to ensure they would be in PR when I arrived.

I had to slightly bend one box to fit it all in my Prius along with one large suitcase and two carry on bags.

post-4111-0-29135600-1437093043_thumb.jppost-4111-0-70127700-1437093163_thumb.jp

Everything made it to my PR porch. Yes I lugged the nearly 70 lbs each boxes from my car myself.

post-4111-0-71578300-1437093512_thumb.jp

I resisted roaming the farm to pot up these plants! To be continued...

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

The next morning I headed out for the fun to drive curvy country roads to Home Depot, about 30 minutes away. I had little or no choice of potting mix so didn't take long to grab a bunch and some bags of gravel to improve drainage for the palms and succulents.

I brought a saw but didn't need it as all 20 PVC pipes fit neatly in my car. The PVC pipes cut in thirds hold my aluminum plant labels and orange flagging tape to minimize plant disappearance in my jungle full of vines.

Bigger in the inside?post-4111-0-25000000-1437123372_thumb.jp

I did the bare rooted palm seedlings first.

post-4111-0-70107500-1437123570_thumb.jp

Then the variety of plants I love including a bunch of Deppea splendens grown from seed from a PalmTalk member. Can't wait to see them bloom even though I know they prefer it a bit cooler.

post-4111-0-08820400-1437123848_thumb.jp

I did the succulents next.post-4111-0-59276500-1437123946_thumb.jp

Still not light yet here but I want to get started washing my aircone orchid pots I mailed to myself to arrive before my carton maybe next week. Unfortunately the special orchiata bark is in my carton as way too expensive to ship any other way.

So to be continued as I care for all 140 slipper orchids in plastic bags for 6 days now! The beaches and the forest will wait a bit longer!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Yikes, that's quite an endeavor Cindy. Have you finally abandoned Virginia?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Cindy,

Wow, pictures do indeed say it best! :) What an impressive operation that must have been and how satisfying to get all those plants to your place in PR, where they will surely thrive! Best of luck with everything and have fun potting up or planting those 386 plants! I'm guessing that'll take you all week.... :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Cindy,

What you did takes an amazing amount of patience. It will pay off big time. I can't wait to come visit the garden.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

World's most dedicated gardener: Cindy! It's all a labor of love, for sure. I can imagine you smiling through the entire process. Ah, favorite plants in a perfect climate and the time to care for them, what luxury!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yikes, that's quite an endeavor Cindy. Have you finally abandoned Virginia?

Yes Randy. I will only visit my son in college

in Virginia now!

So beautiful here!

I look forward to unlimited internet access by noon tomorrow using my new computer! Before last year I had no phone or Internet on the farm itself. For the last year on visits my AT&T smartphone worked well with data.

So I can see all the PalmTalk photos larger than my phone's screen!

Thanks for all the comments and I will post more soon with my new laptop!

Cindy Adair

Well, if that isn't a OMG job! Your babies are gonna love it and some of them will grow into monsters.

I'm sure you were talking and assuring them they were going to a better place.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Palm people have the happy knack of turning their vehicles, be it a micra or a mack truck, into a 4 wheeled version of the Tardis. We labour happily for hours in a way that even the best paid workers would resent. Now starting your new life, at least you know you will never be bored again.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Thanks Cindy for your initiative and perpetual inspiration!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Cindy, Wish i was there, id give you a hand. Mom has a house and land in Lares, a little close by. Love how everything grows over there and for me its a real joy working in the jungle, especially since there are no poisonous snakes.

Wow, I'm saving this as a template for a big plant move. If not for me, then to help someone else.

Keep us apprized of your plants' progress!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow Cindy, that is just awesome and a true labor of love. Must have taken a good amount of though and a tremendous amount of work along with all the other things you had to prepare for the move. And to time all that correctly! Wow again!!!

Wish all take the move well and grow into new proportions! :)

Regarding orchid potting mixes, i think you will find local materials much much better for orchid growing than the ready made substrates. And having a climate that can support them outside all year long, you can make permanent growing areas for each species with no need to renew substrate.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Wow Cindy, that is just awesome and a true labor of love. Must have taken a good amount of though and a tremendous amount of work along with all the other things you had to prepare for the move. And to time all that correctly! Wow again!!!

Wish all take the move well and grow into new proportions! :)

Regarding orchid potting mixes, i think you will find local materials much much better for orchid growing than the ready made substrates. And having a climate that can support them outside all year long, you can make permanent growing areas for each species with no need to renew substrate.

All but the terrestrials like Paphiopedilums are already happily attached to trees from previous visits here. The Orchiata bark from New Zealand is recommended by the past president of the American orchid society who lives in PR. It also happens to be what I was using in Virginia so the roots shouldn't be quite as stressed. I am still impatiently awaiting the arrival of my bags or bark and everything else!

However, now I have internet and the use of a fine new computer!

Cindy Adair

386 ..... :blink2:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I find Paphiopedilum love a mix of 2-3mm zeolite, lava, limestone(for the calcifilous ones) and can live indefinitely potted in this mixture if fertilized now and then. They can also be wick irrigated in this mix, so with a large water reservoir, you need to do pretty much nothing for them for more than a month at a time.

They can also live well in a mix of "dirty"(with a few organics and very little bark) neutral gravel in a high rainfal area.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I find Paphiopedilum love a mix of 2-3mm zeolite, lava, limestone(for the calcifilous ones) and can live indefinitely potted in this mixture if fertilized now and then. They can also be wick irrigated in this mix, so with a large water reservoir, you need to do pretty much nothing for them for more than a month at a time.

They can also live well in a mix of "dirty"(with a few organics and very little bark) neutral gravel in a high rainfal area.

Good ideas! Thanks! I am interested to find out if anyone here is successful growing paphs directly in the ground? maybe phragmipediums where it stays wet? I will ask at the orchid event next week...

All plants in pots are doing very well with the succulents loving the high light and the Deppea splendens look much better than in hotter Virginia Beach in July. My sun loving palm seedlings have responded well also (Copernias and Coccothrinax mainly).

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

I am starting to do the same thing but from Florida to the the Philippines ---- just retired just like you so I can concentrate on the habit I saved all these years --- Salut! Theres a reprobate fellow in Barranquitas that did the same thing about 15 years --- He-s a nice guy but rather an acquired taste type personallity --- he is pretty generous so you might get him to share some plants --- he did with me and many others years ago. --- I gotta get down to see him as its been a long time --- salut and send us some gardening pictures

Best regards

Ed

Cindy,

I am starting to do the same thing but from Florida to the the Philippines ---- just retired just like you so I can concentrate on the habit I saved all these years --- Salut! Theres a reprobate fellow in Barranquitas that did the same thing about 15 years --- He-s a nice guy but rather an acquired taste type personallity --- he is pretty generous so you might get him to share some plants --- he did with me and many others years ago. --- I gotta get down to see him as its been a long time --- salut and send us some gardening pictures

Best regards

Ed

Congratulations Ed! When is your big move planned? Some free internet so will post an update, even though it is gorgeous and I want to get back to the farm soon to play!

Cindy Adair

So here are some difficult to see photos of the huge existing shade house. The structure is quite sound and was the site of a commercial nursery. There are some trees that need to be removed and the shade cloth needs replacing.

I had to be shown the cut off valves (llaves en español) to open a nearby faucet and get a new heavy duty 100ft. hose, but as of yesterday I am set.

My shoe is in one photo on the center bench but this space is bigger than it appears in the photos.

I moved some palms in pots that I will greatly enjoyed placing in the ground when I get other more pressings matters taken care of (like posting here?)

post-4111-0-05406900-1437918622_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-08745700-1437918699_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-71686400-1437919037_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-94825400-1437919216_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

I have all the succulents potted up in half gravel and half soilless mix and in clay pots. I am in the process of moving them all upstairs in a spot on a balcony where others have done well in my absence.

Not surprisingly, all this moving has not been easy on my back so I must do it a bit at a time....

Tomorrow I MIGHT have my carton sent from Virginia July 13. I am waiting to hear from the driver as to the feasibility of bringing it all the way to my farm versus a spot about a mile away.

As spacious as my Prius is, no way will my antique canopy bed fit inside it so I certainly hope they can bring my stuff to my door!

This all pertains to moving plants because of the 7 bags of orchiata bark my poor slipper orchids are still waiting for!

I want to get them all potted up prior to heading to Trujillo Alto mid week for a big orchid show. Not that I really need any more plants!

I have cleaned all my orchid pots and drilled holes for the wires to hold their soon to be made permanent aluminum labels. I may put rocks in the bottom for more weight and drainage?

Eventually I will post how nice they look in the shade house I hope! For now they are still captive in plastic!

For now I will refer you to a post I am going to make under the other tropicals section (before I leave the free wi fi) showing some orchids in bloom on my trees. And yes, I have taken palm pictures but will save them for later!

post-4111-0-88762200-1437920079_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Finally got my belongings two days ago. Being a plant nut, I was most eager for the orchiata bark for my slipper orchids! Success! Got all potted up and in the shade house in less than 24 hours.

So headed to Home Depot for another extension cord so that the blower will reach the shade house. Lots of debris on top making it even shadier than intended...

Of course stopped for free wi fi ( I mean coffee) before heading back to la finca, but too nice outside to stay inside long!

post-4111-0-43228500-1438195718_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

I so hope some day Andrea and I can get the chance to come visit your garden. :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Someone is having WAAAY too much fun! :laugh2: Keep it up Cindy, the fun is just beginning! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I so hope some day Andrea and I can get the chance to come visit your garden. :)

Yes! I hope you will come and lots other folks will visit too!

So far getting unlimited wi fi is my main challenge so life is wonderful! My seventy year old neighbor old neighbor showed up with a tall ladder this morning and then climbed all over my tall shade house cutting vines and removing big branches overhanging. He spent more than four hours and refused even a cup of coffee and homemade banana bread!

Then he and his wife (Sherry, the former owner of my finca) insisted that I join them for a wonderful meal on their porch down the street.

No I have no serious complaints about life here! It is truly paradise.

Cindy Adair

I am anxious to spend more time walking around the finca but when a neighbor shows up to help and then treats you to lunch and I needed to book flights to get to Florida online, the palms will have to wait to be better photographed I guess.

Trust me they are doing well with no more cow bites that I have seen.

If I can get photos to download at a reasonable pace for a reasonable cost (without living in fast food restaurants) then you all will see so many photos you'll be bored....

I honestly can't recall if I've posted these before, but here goes with some iPhone shots:

Chamaedorea metallica in flower, Caryota ophiopellis and Caryota mitis variegata

post-4111-0-53894600-1438464067_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-22178400-1438464405_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-35910500-1438464460_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair