IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmfest 2007

Tag

I attended a meeting of the First Coast Palm Society  this past Saturday and the members agreed to facilitate and host Palmfest 2007.  It is my understanding that FCPS Treasurer, Matt Encinosa, has been in contct with John DeMott to advise that we will be hosting the event.  We are in the process of determing a venue to host the event in the NE Florida area and setting the date.  We are looking at hosting the event some time in the September to early October range.  We do want to make sure that the event does not conflict with any large Palm Sales or other events that may detract from interest in the event.  Is anyone aware of any other events that we should take into consideration prior to confirming the date?  Your feedback is appreciated.  

Thank you,

Jason

Jason,

The hardest part of getting going with any event or at least the biggest problem with Palmfest has been picking a date.

JCD

South Florida

Hi John,

Memorial Day is still the best date.  Most people have the Monday off from work and don't have to rush home on Sunday night.  The 2003 event in Ft. Myers may have drawn the best Palmfest atttendance to date.  I could care less about the venue but agree that the date is critical.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The needed bump just to keep this fresh in everyone's mind.

Any news from this weekend's meeting up in the NE part of the state?  Will it be NE or SW?  And any dates yet?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Yes, I'm curious as well.

(palmmermaid @ Apr. 09 2007,08:51)

Any news from this weekend's meeting up in the NE part of the state?  Will it be NE or SW?  And any dates yet?

I thought it was already decided that it was going to be held up in northern Fl. Just the dates were not finalized. I'm confused. :P

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I just got off the phone with Matt The dates for PalmFest 2007 are Oct. 5 and 6th.

More info to follow.

Thanks,

John DeMott

JCD

South Florida

Sounds good John.  Thanks for the update.

October is not a good month for those of us who do the fall plant sales.  We are already booked for that weekend.  It is also in the middle of hurricane season.  What happened to Memorial Day or June?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

(palmmermaid @ Apr. 10 2007,16:57)

October is not a good month for those of us who do the fall plant sales.  We are already booked for that weekend.  It is also in the middle of hurricane season.  What happened to Memorial Day or June?

I also question these dates. It's in the MIDDLE of hurricane season! And what happen to a 3 day weekend?

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Palmmermaid,

We contacted other palm societies and attempted to get feedback from this thread and others prior to setting the date.  The feedback that we received was that the fall plant sales primarily take place in late October and November and would not conflict with the event in early October.  Knock on wood, but NE Florida is not subject to hurricanes like South and Central Florida.  It's been over 50 years since we've had one hit us directly.  (Again crossing fingers!)  The FCPS has always been considering September or October.  We hope that you can still attend!

Dates aren't good for me either... Fall is a very busy time for me.... :( ... oh well

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Why can't all the rest of us who want it in the spring organize something down south?   Whatever happened to what Christian was trying to put together?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Jeff Searle @ Apr. 10 2007,17:18)

I also question these dates. It's in the MIDDLE of hurricane season! And what happen to a 3 day weekend?

Jeff

Jeff,

I agree that Labor Day weekend would have been ideal, but the feedback that we received was that there were too many personal (i.e family) obligations that weekend.  Also, it would have been very difficult to find a hotel that had enough capacity on that weekend.  October 5th and 6th was selected because it allowed for the most access to member's and other local gardens.  As John said earlier, setting the date is the hardest part.  Now that the date is set, we can work on the rest of the event.  I hope that the notice is far enough in advance so that people can plan ahead.  We're looking forward to a successful and fun event!

Jason

I am in the Palm Beach Society and am already booked at a sale that weekend.  While there may not be a palm sale that weekend, there are other sales that some of us participate in where we do sell our palms.  So at least a few of us who attended the last PACSOF event won't be able to attend in October.  

While you don't get many hurricanes in Jacksonville - I know since I lived there for 35 years - we, in South Florida do.  But if October is the date, then we will have to miss this one.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Well, I along with others will not be able to attend. That weekend we plan on having our 9th. Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza here at the nursery. Being it's on the 5th and 6th, it sounds like a shorten program. Will it start Friday evening and be over Sat. evening? To allow attendee's time to drive home on Sunday? I understand it's very hard to pick a weekend when there are no palm/plant sales, or very few.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I agree with Jeff.  March and April and October and November are really tough months for the folks in the business.  Maybe next time a month other than those will be picked and those of us who can't attend the one this year can attend.  I really enjoyed the one in Ft. Lauderdale and was looking forward to the one this year.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I am glad to see so many people care about this event. If we keep the spirit there will be many more Palmfests and we will all get a chance to attend. It may be that there is enough support now to have one every year and maybe more! We could all use our field trip commitees and kill two birds with one stone by meeting for weekends to share gardens and palm talk.

I look forward to visiting palms in the N.E. Please plan on plenty of beer and I will bring LOTS of palms for auction! (Translates: Palms for Beer!)

Stay tuned everyone, The next trip may be sooner than later.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

(Jeff Searle @ Apr. 11 2007,11:43)

Being it's on the 5th and 6th, it sounds like a shorten program. Will it start Friday evening and be over Sat. evening? To allow attendee's time to drive home on Sunday?

Jeff,

We will most likely have plans for at least Sunday morning too.  We have lots of ideas.  I will provide further details when they become available.

Jason

(Ken Johnson @ Apr. 11 2007,15:28)

I look forward to visiting palms in the N.E. Please plan on plenty of beer and I will bring LOTS of palms for auction! (Translates: Palms for Beer!)

Let me know what you drink and I'll make sure we have plenty!

I’m new to this webboard.

I’d be interested in attending a Palmfest but to see Palms, gardens, how people are growing them and to meet other palm collectors.      

I guess I’m in the minority as to focus on food & drink.  If you want to have a Beer fest, you can stay home and have one.   Why go through the expense of traveling a long distance to do so ?

Will the itinerary be posted on the internet ?.    

It’s hard to please everyone and find a date that no one has plans.   Hope this works out for most.

October can be ugly when it comes to hurricanes (see Wilma).  At least the meeting will be held in what is geographically, the least likely area of Florida to be impacted by a hurricane.  That's what historical data says anyway.

Yahoo, it will be somewhere in my neck of the pine woods, but alas,....I'll be at Jeff's

Wendi

"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!"-Dr. Seuss :P

north central east coast of Florida

halfway between Daytona and St. Augustine

15 mi inland

There are 2 things to consider here.

1) I assume we all want this to be a continuous event every 2 years. If that is the case it is absolutely Horrible to keep changing the time of year the event will happen. Summer last time, Fall this time, Spring next time, then back to Fall again the time after that. Switching around like that will permanently kill this event. Pick a date that will work for the most people EVERY time and stick with it.

2) I, and most people heavily associated with palm societies and palm sales will never be able to commit to dates in the Fall. I have at least 4 large palm sales I participate in. Hurricanes must also be considered. Even if they don't hit your area the rest of us won't leave our nurseries if one is coming. There are dozens of reasons this event will always have conflicts if it is planned for October or early November.

A Permanent date on or near Memorial Day to create consistancy for this event to have a future is what we all want and need. I see way too many people not being able to make it if you have it in the Fall. I was at the last one and planned on being at the next. If it is in the Fall I and many others that have already posted won't be there.

Bill Olson

President SFPS

There are 2 things to consider here.

1) I assume we all want this to be a continuous event every 2 years. If that is the case it is absolutely Horrible to keep changing the time of year the event will happen. Summer last time, Fall this time, Spring next time, then back to Fall again the time after that. Switching around like that will permanently kill this event. Pick a date that will work for the most people EVERY time and stick with it.

2) I, and most people heavily associated with palm societies and palm sales will never be able to commit to dates in the Fall. I have at least 4 large palm sales I participate in. Hurricanes must also be considered. Even if they don't hit your area the rest of us won't leave our nurseries if one is coming. There are dozens of reasons this event will always have conflicts if it is planned for October or early November.

A Permanent date on or near Memorial Day to create consistancy for this event to have a future is what we all want and need. I see way too many people not being able to make it if you have it in the Fall. I was at the last one and planned on being at the next. If it is in the Fall I and many others that have already posted won't be there.

Bill Olson

President SFPS

I agree 100%, Bill......   and from most of the posts here, I see there are alot of people who feel that October is a bad month for various reasons..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yes Yes Yes October might be bad but lets let the NE do it and see what happens. They will get some people and and we will have fun (Beer or not!)

Then lets see what happens next. '08 will be just around the corner and with this much fuss about palmfest we may start to do it EVERY YEAR again!

Ok, who will be at bat in '08? Lets get that started too!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

OK great.  St. Augustine is a great location.  More palms grow there than one would think.

(Ray, Tampa @ Apr. 14 2007,18:16)

OK great.  St. Augustine is a great location.  More palms grow there than one would think.

Ray,

I like the idea. And.......I second the idea(motion) that Bobby ( BobbyinNY) since he will be living here, can organize it. That practically will be in his back yard, no?? Give him a call, and let him know. :D  Surprise!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Ken Johnson @ Apr. 13 2007,18:39)

Yes Yes Yes October might be bad but lets let the NE do it and see what happens. They will get some people and and we will have fun (Beer or not!)

Then lets see what happens next. '08 will be just around the corner and with this much fuss about palmfest we may start to do it EVERY YEAR again!

Ok, who will be at bat in '08? Lets get that started too!

Ken,

I agree with you on many things, but I am having a really hard time seeing the logic here.

There seems to be some specific reason it is being pushed for October when many people can't make it then.

The fact that it can be held more often and at different times has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that October is a Really bad time to have it now or ever.

What is the big push to have it in a place and time that will exclude so many people that would normally go?

Is something special happening in October in NE Florida that none of us know about? Is there some important baseball game happening up there at that time or something like that? If so, at least I could understand the push and maybe even support it.

I Guaruntee you if this ball were thrown into my court I would have a place and an agenda that works for almost everybody in the month of May. There is still PLENTY of time to do that. We created the entire MBC palm sale in 6 weeks.

I just don't get the push for October. Can either of you give us a real legitimate/logical reason it can't happen in May or even June?????????????????

Bill Olson

Hey, give the 1st Coast Chapter a break.

It takes time to set things up and often hotels are booked up far in advance.  Spring is a popular wedding time.  

Then there has to be time to notify the other chapters to be able to have it published in their newsletters.

You may have put together a palm sale, but you didn't have to book hotels for that.

I thought Palmfest was suppose to be in May around the same time, every other year, but this isn't the first chapter to move it until October.

And if they picked a weekend in May, don't you think there would be a lot of people that couldn't make it.

(Sierra @ Apr. 16 2007,11:58)

You may have put together a palm sale, but you didn't have to book hotels for that.....

I thought Palmfest was suppose to be in May around the same time, every other year, but this isn't the first chapter to move it until October.

And if they picked a weekend in May, don't you think there would be a lot of people that couldn't make it.

So far we have about a dozen people saying they can't make October. I haven't seen any that can't make May as it was Supposed to be.

The weekend After Memorial Day will have plenty of hotel/motel openings if somebody was actually calling them TODAY. I will make those calls myself if thats what it takes to prove that point.

As for creating the "World's Largest Palm Sale" with 2 sets of board directors negotiating a contract, advertisements, insurance policies, city permits and police permissions, tent and bathroom rentals, 30 different vendors in a completely new layout, and many Many other things in 6 weeks, I Assure you it takes a lot more lead time than booking a few speakers and a motel.

All I am trying to say is what is the Logical/Legitimate reason for pushing it back to October when so many can't make it then???????

Bill Olson

President SFPS

Billy,

I agree with your comments about it being at the same time every year.  All of us who do enjoy going would be able to plan for it.  And fall will never be a good time for those of us who do sales.

May seems like a good month.  It isn't yet too hot.  It is between winter and summer season for hotels so the rates would be better.  Airfare might be better as well for those traveling from out of state.

I have only attended one and really had a good time and would love to attend more in the future.  However, I won't be able to attend one in October.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Ray,

I like the idea. And.......I second the idea(motion) that Bobby ( BobbyinNY) since he will be living here, can organize it. That practically will be in his back yard, no?? Give him a call, and let him know.   Surprise!

Jeff

No problem, Jeff.... I'd organize it now if you guys wanted... but the only area I know really well enough to do it would be Broward County (whatdya think Jeff? :) )  There are so many decent priced hotels in Ft. Lauderdale that would work.  Then we can all go party at the Mai Kai :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Pardon my perspective....but it seems as tho the NE was afraid of losing their thunder to the SW...& has chosen a date with many conflicts....a bit disrespectful to other members of the Palm Society so it seems

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Wow, you guys are amazing.   You did all that in a few weeks.

Maybe you should organize the Broward Boys Beerfest in May for all those that can’t attend the October Palmfest in North Fla.

I don't quite understand the last response - how is it disrespectful to other Palm Societies ?  They picked a date  that there wasn't a major palm society function in FL .  So there is a private person's palm sale, but how are they suppose to know every sale, event, everywhere.    

Hey does the IPS/ :laugh:  Palm Society have an on-line calendar that people could check ?