IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

JubaeaXButiaXQueen ID

Yort

The story behind this palm is as follows: I bought this palm in horrible shape (almost no leaves in a very small container with a huge infection of scale insects) from a Dutch company that didn't know anything about palms. They had shipped a container filled with palms from portugal because the palms were left on a property that they had bought.

I've given the palm a bigger container and got rid of the infection and placed it in my greenhouse, at the moment the spear is growing 1,4 cm a day.

On the container was written JubaeaXButiaXQueen. What do you guys think?

post-5471-0-86095100-1436555708_thumb.jp

post-5471-0-86407400-1436555718_thumb.jp

post-5471-0-09177300-1436555734_thumb.jp

post-5471-0-08858500-1436555745_thumb.jp

It certainly has a hybrid look. Why would a lay person or an avid enthusiast write JxBxQ if it were not so. Since most hybrids coming out of California are BxJxS .... I think this might be a Dr. Wilcox/Tim Hopper hybrid...I also have one as well...not nearly as big as yours.

There are other threads that deal with offspring from this cross....congratulations. ..nice find

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Gefeliciteerd! I have some of this hybrids (Butia x Jubaea) x Syagrus romanzoffiana and yours definitely has the same "look".

post-465-0-90731000-1436719173_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-76431900-1436719221_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-26736700-1436719389_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Dankje wel! Good to have the confirmation that it is what I tought it is. Beautyfull palms Alberto, do you know how old they are and what is your climate like?

Dankje wel! Good to have the confirmation that it is what I tought it is. Beautyfull palms Alberto, do you know how old they are and what is your climate like?

Take a look at post #13 (april 2007) , there you will see my bigger Jubutyagrus when it was planted in the ground (+- 2 years old) , so it is now +- 10 years old

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4789-jubutyagrus/?hl=jubutyagrus#entry79640

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

So.. to be clear.. this topic is about a Jubutyagrus.. and not a Bujubyagrus ???

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I don't think it is possible to conclude if it is Jubutyagrus or Bujubyagrus. Although it is probably more likely to be the first one, because this was written on the container. For me it was enough to have the confirmation that it is a cross between the three species.

I have a few patric jbxs, bjxs and one jxs but they are not mature enough to see any real discerning traits. I'll take some pics and upload to this thread for future reference as they grow.

I think it is (butia x jubaea) x syagrus like Alberto. The base especially looks a lot like mine, and I am confident on the identity of this one. I also have jubutyagrus and the petiole bases are much greener.

Assuming you paid a knock - down price since they didn't know what it was then you got a bargain!

post-3319-0-82823900-1437298275_thumb.jp

These were taken yesterday, it is definitely growing faster then my Butia's and Jubaea's

post-5471-0-31667900-1437309418_thumb.jp

post-5471-0-80483600-1437309428_thumb.jp

post-5471-0-92507000-1437309438_thumb.jp

That is a good looking hybrid

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

It needs to be in Florida :winkie:

No it needs to be in Darlington ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>