IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

»Before & After« Pix of Potted Palms

Pal Meir

and all I do is cry!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 20/6/2017 18:13:23, Kai said:

It will be growing in a wooden shoe underneath a windmill next to the tulips :floor:

Why not in a ceylonese jungle I know? It has been dutch too, if your Sabinaria wants to hear that mother langage ....

Besides, they can meet other family members ( in fact hawaiian Sabinaria ) :mellow:

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

14 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Why not in a ceylonese jungle I know? It has been dutch too, if your Sabinaria wants to hear that mother langage ....

Besides, they can meet other family members ( in fact hawaiian Sabinaria ) :mellow:

That's also a good possibility. But then I will move in together with the palm.

So all I have to do now is get my wife and children to come with me and move to the Ceylonese jungle that you have reserved for me.:D

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

5 hours ago, Kai said:

That's also a good possibility. But then I will move in together with the palm.

So all I have to do now is get my wife and children to come with me and move to the Ceylonese jungle that you have reserved for me.:D

You're welcome with your family, you know, weeds are growing so quickly in this climate, so much work to do !

And; if you let it become a real jungle, wildlife comes too; leeches, snakes, scorpions, mosquitos ….

Then: when do you arrive?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2016, 5:48:58, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Not a before and after per se, but a before pic.   My small raphis excelsa still in its nursery pot, has opened a new leaf!   Woohoo!    This leaf was a spear that was barely 1/3 the way poking out when I bought it back in September.    Hope this one is a little faster  growing.  It's already nicely developed it's characteristic brown fibrous trunk.  It has 8 leaves and the opening spear will be it's 9th.  This new one and the two before it have 6 leaf segments.     

This is only the second one I've had.  The first one was like a decade ago and roughly the same size.   Unfortunately that one didn't make it.  Any tips on it's care other than the usual?    Cheers!  

IMG_1157.JPG

Here is the after of this one. 1 year and 3 months later nearly to the day.  

R.Excelsa2.20.18.jpeg

2R.Excelsa2.20.18.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is a beautiful palm!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Hi Pal,

what happens in another five years time if the growing speed will be the same? Will it become to big for indoors?

In autumn I'll look for fresh seeds. 

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

8 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Pal,

what happens in another five years time if the growing speed will be the same? Will it become to big for indoors?

In autumn I'll look for fresh seeds. 

Eckhard

As the palm is now really trunking (the diameter is over 4 cm) it means that the stem will grow much faster in hight than until now. That is one reason why I am experimenting with the other Lytos so that they won’t grow too tall too soon …… :unsure:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

My home office in June 2016 and 2 years 4 months later in October 2018:

5bd4a8bb44ae8_SyagrusweddellianaN1300201

5bd4a93a64600_HomeOffice2018-10-27P10409

How old are they now ? :) Will they grow any bigger ?

Edited by Reynevan

18 minutes ago, Reynevan said:

How old are they now ? :) Will they grow any bigger ?

They are »born« in April 2013, except N°1308 which germinated in May 2013. — Yes, they will get bigger, the stem can grow up to over 3 m (without the long leaves!) what will cause some problems inside my office. :bemused: That is the reason why I trimmed N°1306c to bonsai size. :evil:

The toughest one (N°1303) is still outdoors in Balconia; the temps can fall down to near zero at 9 h on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Mate, if you drank that bottle of fertilizer that it seems that you give them,

perhaps you would be tall and skinny and healthy like your plants.

No , wait, I see that you are tall and skinny and healthy (from some pics) 

perhaps you may drink some of that fertilizer too? 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2015 at 12:01 PM, Pal Meir said:

I used a soil mixture similar to that I am using for Syagrus weddelliana, ca. 3/5 fine pine bark, 1/5 Seramis®, and 1/5 Kokohum®. A good drainage is important, so that the palm can be watered daily. But don’t let stand it in "wet feet" for a longer time. And the place has to be as sunny as possible, even here at 51.5°N avoiding direct sunlight during the summer months and about noon.

Pal, I've seen many of your posts and advice to us fellow palm lovers and I've seen were mentioned that you can water daily because of your custom soil mix. What about most of us that can't do that kind of schedule because of work or going on vacations etc? do the palms that you water daily do ok if not watered like they are accustomed to?

Hello @sashaeffer,

you are right, that is the biggest problem with my soil mix. You have to chose between small pots (like N°1301) without any fear of overwatering or larger pots (like N°1303) which can hold humidity for one week or so. While small pots are good during the cold and dark season, they dry out in summer within a day. The larger pots are ideal in summer, but you have to be very careful in winter with watering …

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...