IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

»Before & After« Pix of Potted Palms

Pal Meir

Blimey Pal! You certainly have the Midas touch where the cultivation of palms in pots is concerned!

I spend countless hours watering, feeding and attempting desperately to keep my palms looking good in pots..... in a tropical climate..... and still they look nowhere near as nice as yours :)

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

Awesome Pal. I like your "workplace". I wonder how I can bring some palm trees inside my house without my wife going crazy on me? I should start small, maybe she wont notice them...

That's the way I do it. Let the living room collection grow very slowly and make sure it looks nice and integrated with the rest of your furniture. Make your palms blend in if you will.

Choose your species wisely as you don't want them to look crappy and the wife will start demanding for you to discard of them...

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Awesome Pal. I like your "workplace". I wonder how I can bring some palm trees inside my house without my wife going crazy on me? I should start small, maybe she wont notice them...

That's the way I do it. Let the living room collection grow very slowly and make sure it looks nice and integrated with the rest of your furniture. Make your palms blend in if you will.

Choose your species wisely as you don't want them to look crappy and the wife will start demanding for you to discard of them...

Thanks Kai. Makes sense. I'll give it another shot with something small.

Thanks Kai. Makes sense. I'll give it another shot with something small.

Yes, you have to start e.g. with a cute minature Coconut (S. weddelliana) and not with a real one (C. nucifera):

post-10467-0-11387200-1436712600_thumb.j

Or with a palm bonsai as this 12 years old and only 22cm "tall" Chamaerops humilis v. cerifera and not with a Bismarckia:

post-10467-0-22669900-1436712860_thumb.j

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Here other photos of Syagrus weddelliana (Lytocaryum weddellianum), before and after 470 days:

2014-04-01:

post-10467-0-74383400-1436979422_thumb.j

2015-07-15:

post-10467-0-78499700-1436979435_thumb.j

An ideal small palm for indoors! (The small pot on the right is for comparison; it’s the same as in the older photo.)

• Upvote 1

Livistona chinensis var. subglobosa, before & after 7 years:

attachicon.gifLivistona chinensis 1982.jpg

attachicon.gifLivistona chinensis 1989-09-07.jpg

And here the parent tree (centre) on Aoshima Island, Kyûshû, Japan in 1979:

attachicon.gifLivistona chinensis-1979-02-28.jpg

I love those Japanese Livistonas!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Awesome growth of all species :greenthumb:

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Here an example of limited growth, a bonsai before & after 13 years:

Chamaerops humilis 2002 & 2015

post-10467-0-94876000-1437148299_thumb.j

This palm was placed the last 12 years outdoors – also in winter – as long as possible at 51.5°N. It was grown up from seed of a palm from Palermo/Sicily in 1986 and is now 29 years old.

• Upvote 1

(10) Before and after 28 years:

Chamaedorea seifrizii 1980 & 2008

attachicon.gifChamaedorea seifrizii 1980.jpg attachicon.gifChamaedorea seifrizii 2008-02-19.jpg

I am impressed!

Will I be able to show some "before and after" in 28 years?

and, as Dave wrote, these palms are the best indoor palms I have seen.

Thanks

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Here an example of limited growth, a bonsai before & after 13 years:

Chamaerops humilis 2002 & 2015

attachicon.gifChamaerops 2002+2015.jpg

This palm was placed the last 12 years outdoors – also in winter – as long as possible at 51.5°N. It was grown up from seed of a palm from Palermo/Sicily in 1986 and is now 29 years old.

Spectacular. I like the choice of pretty pots you use, Pal.

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool stuff Pal! As an indoor palm grower I want to learn all your tips and tricks!

Thanks, Kai. In the 1960s, 70s, and 80s it was always an up and down of try and error. There was no internet, no palmtalk, no one I could ask. Even the botanists in the botanical gardens here didn't know much about growing palms. —

Here another before & after 5+4 years:

Trachycarpus fortunei 1972 & 1977 & 1981

post-10467-0-66033200-1438369757_thumb.j post-10467-0-12156200-1438369771_thumb.j post-10467-0-01828700-1438369782_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Oh man these are fantastic, and you're in Germany with similar climate to me I imagine (north east England, winters to -15C or lower)

Makes me want to get growing again!

I want seeds...;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Oh man these are fantastic, and you're in Germany with similar climate to me I imagine (north east England, winters to -15C or lower)

Makes me want to get growing again!

I want seeds...;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Pal, those palms are some of the best indoor palms I've seen.

What kind of heating system do you have? How do you keep up the humidity im Winter?

I used to live in Ohio, a climate much like Deutschland, and forced-air heating made things dry as the desert in the winter. Many plants died, usually from drying up.

It is a normal central heating system for living rooms, nothing else. All my palms regular by them selves the humidity during the heating season, so that the air has almost the same humidity as during the non-heating seasons.

There are many kinds of central heating systems. (BS Man is a heating/AC person so maybe he'll chime in.)

Any thoughts on what your system is? That is a vital, critical issue to others in your situation.

Sorry, I just looked in on this thread.

Dave, its all about what you are trying to achieve. If the building envelope is strong, I.E. well insulated, your need to run heat will decrease. As Pal alluded, having water, or damp pots about will raise the humidity and thus the "enthalpy" and everywhere will feel warmer. If you wanted to make a house like a greenhouse it wouldn't be too hard. However as the humidity increases, the possibility of surface corrosion and some rot and/or mildew would increase too. As a general rule that alone keeps homeowners from letting their home get too damp As a whole I would think air movement is the biggest problem to avoid pests that like damp, low air movement conditions.

I actually have a few indoor plants that look ok I think mainly because I mostly ignore them and rarely water them.

But to my eyes, Pal has become an expert! Well Done!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hello I'm a newbie here and I'm in Albertville alabama in this area code 35980 not sure what zone I'm in and this is the first year I've ever been able to grow ANYTHING IN MY 42 year without them dying on me in the first month. Black thumb is not even the word for it! I try so very hard because I really love plants and flowers. I've managed to get all the plants I have to live for a couple of months now struggling to keep the outside and inside plants alive. Someone I know gave me what I think is a potted majesty palm that was on a slow decline to death when I first got it. I put it beside an east facing window and watered it about 3 times a month. It was sprouting new shoots going and coming and started to get really big. Then it started getting top heavy and leaning and then it started turning brown on the top of the fronds and the lower leaves on the fronds started looking like they were just reduced in size all the sudden (lower ones weren't brown) just the ends of the fronds in the crown. I took it out of the pot it was in because it appeared to be outgrowing its space. Me and my friend did this very gently without taking the soil that it was in from around the roots and put it in another slightly larger pot than what it was in and put the same kind of soil that it was in back in the new pot with it. I trimmed the brown off the leaves and then the ones I trimmed among ones I did not trim are slightly turning yellow and it's looking like it's dying slowly now. It's getting sun from a window it's not overwatered or standing in water it has good draining soil and pot and it's always about 70degrees in my house. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me what to do I want this tree to live so very bad!!! Thanks in advance and God bleeds you all!!!

@Klynnh: If your plant is really a "Majesty Palm" (Ravenea rivularis) it seems to me that you didn’t water it enough. In its habitat this palm is growing near and even inside rivers. Maybe the information on this link is helpful for you: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Ravenea_rivularis

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another Chamaerops before & after 2+20+4 years:

1981-12-16 (almost 2 years old)

attachicon.gifChamaerops_2 1981-12-16.jpg

1984-01-08

attachicon.gifChamaerops_2 1984-01-08.jpg

2004-11-10

attachicon.gifChamaerops_2 2004-11-10.jpg

2008-09-26

attachicon.gifChamaerops_2 2008-09-26.jpg

Hi Pal, that looks great. I really admire what you have achieved over the years and I hope for the same success (when I move to a bigger place).

Just out of curiosity, have you ever grown Rhopalostylis sapida indoors?

1984-01-08

2004-11-10

2008-09-26

Hi Pal, that looks great. I really admire what you have achieved over the years and I hope for the same success (when I move to a bigger place).

Yes, I had only one R. sapida grown up from seed in 2003. But I gave it away (as all the other palms), I don’t rember to whom, to the Vogelpark Walsrode or the Botanic Garden of Ruhr-Universität Bochum.

(9) Before & after 19 years:

Chamaedorea metallica 1983 & 2002

attachicon.gifChamaedorea metallica 1983.jpg attachicon.gifChamaedorea metallica 2002-07-14.jpg

I'm curious to know where you found the Chamaedorea metallica to beginnings of the 80s?

I got my first Chamaedorea metallica seeds from A. Schenkel in Hamburg on 1982-04-22.

Here a pic of a couple of the seedlings taken on 1984-01-08 (together with L. weddellianum):

post-10467-0-19763500-1440019296_thumb.j

Hello I'm a newbie here and I'm in Albertville alabama in this area code 35980 not sure what zone I'm in and this is the first year I've ever been able to grow ANYTHING IN MY 42 year without them dying on me in the first month. Black thumb is not even the word for it! I try so very hard because I really love plants and flowers. I've managed to get all the plants I have to live for a couple of months now struggling to keep the outside and inside plants alive. Someone I know gave me what I think is a potted majesty palm that was on a slow decline to death when I first got it. I put it beside an east facing window and watered it about 3 times a month. It was sprouting new shoots going and coming and started to get really big. Then it started getting top heavy and leaning and then it started turning brown on the top of the fronds and the lower leaves on the fronds started looking like they were just reduced in size all the sudden (lower ones weren't brown) just the ends of the fronds in the crown. I took it out of the pot it was in because it appeared to be outgrowing its space. Me and my friend did this very gently without taking the soil that it was in from around the roots and put it in another slightly larger pot than what it was in and put the same kind of soil that it was in back in the new pot with it. I trimmed the brown off the leaves and then the ones I trimmed among ones I did not trim are slightly turning yellow and it's looking like it's dying slowly now. It's getting sun from a window it's not overwatered or standing in water it has good draining soil and pot and it's always about 70degrees in my house. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me what to do I want this tree to live so very bad!!! Thanks in advance and God bleeds you all!!!

What kind of fertilizer have you applied and what is the quality of irrigation water?

1984-01-08

2004-11-10

2008-09-26

Yes, I had only one R. sapida grown up from seed in 2003. But I gave it away (as all the other palms), I don’t rember to whom, to the Vogelpark Walsrode or the Botanic Garden of Ruhr-Universität Bochum.

Thanks Pal, I have a seedling and I hope it does well. Do you have any pictures of it? Did it outgrow its space?

1984-01-08

2004-11-10

2008-09-26

Thanks Pal, I have a seedling and I hope it does well. Do you have any pictures of it? Did it outgrow its space?

Oh sorry, I checked my old documents: It wasn’t sapida but R. baueri I had grown up from 2003 to 2008. It didn’t make any problems and was a very easy grower.