IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Miami Zoo

Dmcdonald

Some Pictures from the Miami Zoo. What is the first one? I found one in the parking lot that was about 10 feet tall and had seed so I grab a hand full. Lots of palms and many other plants everywhere.

post-9838-0-99737200-1436244347_thumb.jp

post-9838-0-08489600-1436244349_thumb.jp

post-9838-0-64521800-1436244350_thumb.jp

post-9838-0-19623500-1436244641_thumb.jp

<p> http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=32901

I didn't kill that plant. It committed suicide.

Thanks. Hopefully the seeds are fertile. I saw some bigger Corypha but didn't get pictures. They had them all planted in groups of 3 or more. I think they had 4 different locations around the zoo.

• Upvote 1

It's been several years since I was down there last. But I know there's hundreds if not over a thousand palm trees planted on the zoo property. For a public site, the collection is truly amazing. And we can all thank Lenny Goldstein. He has been a board member on the South Florida Chapter for probably over 20 years easily and I know he has taken this project of planting palms at the zoo all on himself. This has included many, many planting, clean up and fertilizing days.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was amazed by the palm collection. The fact that the Copernicia in the parking lot had the full petticoat was a real surprise. I was so excited when I saw the seeds that I forgot to take a picture of it. I don't know if Mr. Goldstein is on this forum but props go out to him for the work he has done. The zoo is definently worth a visit just for the landscaping and the animals are a bonus.