IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia Cowelii update

Gbarce

THese are really taking their time but at least the latest leaves are noticeably wider and have even gone palmate.

Anyone else growing this super slow palm?

Is there an example of this in Fairchild Botanical Garden?

post-1017-0-80630600-1436229287_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-94344600-1436229353_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Very nice Gene. You definitely grow some of the more exciting and challenging species. I'm not positive, but I have never seen any planted down at FTG.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

awesome palm!!

looks like yours is turning blue?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Very nice Gene. You definitely grow some of the more exciting and challenging species. I'm not positive, but I have never seen any planted down at FTG.

Ditto, and Gene , for 8 yrs old thats "Patience". :greenthumb: Amazing theres "none" @ Fairchild but since Gene gets "Dynamite" speed with his Palms, 1 can only "imagine" how much s l o w e r they are farther from the Equator :) Thanks for the update Gene.

Pete

Mine has been in the ground since fall 2008. SLOWEST.....PALM.....EVER. I hope I live long enough to see it go palmate. I brought back several pounds of serpentine rocks from Cuba, crushed them and spread the chips around my C.c. Its few strap leaves seem to be wider and have more prominent white "veins".

post-1349-0-72147900-1436313892_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-90770000-1436313974_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-70848000-1436314090_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-21490400-1436314154_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-85631100-1436314213_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-64113900-1436314276_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

These beauties were growing in a cow pasture in rural Cuba. Some of them must be 100 years old - seriously.

post-1349-0-88333400-1436314591_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-81321100-1436314740_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-72635500-1436314809_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-81926300-1436314889_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I was just guessing my soil mix when i potted these up. I used a lot of pumice for drainage and was actually hoping that it would add to the "serpentine-ness" of the soil ( but i never really checked the composition) and I think I also chucked a handful of old coins in there.

In any case maybe the palm is a bit more adaptable than I anticipated and a fully serpentine soil might not be a requirement for survival.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

I was just guessing my soil mix when i potted these up. I used a lot of pumice for drainage and was actually hoping that it would add to the "serpentine-ness" of the soil ( but i never really checked the composition) and I think I also chucked a handful of old coins in there.

In any case maybe the palm is a bit more adaptable than I anticipated and a fully serpentine soil might not be a requirement for survival.

Do you add any Dolomite/Lime Gene ? Pete

peter-- no i don't

Gene, since you have a few , add some, to 1 for starters and see what the "response" is, when I added dolomite/lime to sick looking Gigas seedlings they responded very "positive" . Trial n error is a great teacher. keep us updated eh,

Pete

Late to the game on this one... I collected seeds of this species in Cuba last year.They were incredibly eagar sprouters and were germinating in the baggie before the trip was over.I have lots of these to experiment with but here are a couple pics of some I put in a new bed this spring. (5 groups of seedlings in the front) They are getting way more Arizona sun than they care for at this young age but hopefully will adapt as they get older.Each new leaf is always wider than the last so it looks like they are happy so far except for too much sun.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

post-236-0-11457600-1436361942_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-74968400-1436362214_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-77940100-1436362463_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

How often do you they push out a new leaf? When mine were that size it was about 1 leaf every 6 months :(

Gene

Manila, Philippines

They are exactly 1 year old and most are on the 4th and 5th leaves from seed.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

They are exactly 1 year old and most are on the 4th and 5th leaves from seed.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Interesting. I wonder why such a huge difference in speed. Any idea if your soil is similar to serpentine?

No serpentine soil.Just lots of 105F to 115F temperatures which seem to make all my Copernicia's very happy.Here's a pic of a few others around the yard. (baileyana;macroglossa & berteroana)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-85369000-1436487979_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-26575400-1436488053_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

• 1 year later...

An update would be interesting.

Meg, thanks for those great photos, I had no idea of the mature stature of this palm. 

Copernicia aren't really prevalent in east Hawaii, you rarely see them here. 

I was blown away by all the beautiful specimens we saw at the Miami biennial.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

These cowellii have done better than I would have expected.They only seem to maintain 2 healthy leaves at a time but as soon as 1 dries up,it is replaced.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1499475449933.jpg

1499475478651.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona