IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea armata Collection with Variations

NESH

Hello PalmTalk,

All this talk about Brahea has me excited! Brahea armata has always been one of my favorite species with its highly variable size, leaf color, texture and overall toughness. Brahea in general is an easy grow for me and I highly recommend them for any so-cal garden. They seem adaptable to most soils and require no special care. Here are 6 palms that I acquired as "Brahea armata"

Palm 1.

Growing in partial sun, this color is like the old coors can

post-5144-0-19126000-1436209964_thumb.pn

Very flat leaves and not many leaflets

post-5144-0-79704700-1436209977_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

Palm 2.

Growing in half day sun, this one has circular leaves and a bluish color

post-5144-0-75538600-1436210700.png

Full shot, notice how small the trunk is, dwarf?...

post-5144-0-80314900-1436210729_thumb.pn

Another trunk shot, its thinner than the Kentia behind it for scale

post-5144-0-69507800-1436210827_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

Palm 3.

This palm is growing in full sun. Although sold to me as armata, I am confident this is a hybrid.(similar to dooms daves)

Its holding over 50 leaves and puts on several feet of trunk per year!

post-5144-0-62186500-1436210940_thumb.pn

Here is the trunk with pruners for scale

post-5144-0-11781700-1436211083_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

Palm 4.

This palm is also growing in summer full sun. This particular palm has always had a sky blue color.

post-5144-0-12631400-1436211306_thumb.pn

The leaf texture is very different than any of the others. Its much thicker and heavier. It is not flat at all.

post-5144-0-36405900-1436211487_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

Palm 4 (continued)

Showing the sky blue color, notice this palm has both circular leaves and semi-circular.

post-5144-0-00251400-1436211703_thumb.pn

Trunk and petiole, just barely starting to show woody trunk

post-5144-0-05919600-1436211812_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

Palm 5.

Another full sun palm. Curiously, this started off with practically no thorns on the petiole and eventually they slowly set in, however they are not as prominent as on the rest of the armatas. All the leaves are semi-circular and flat.

post-5144-0-85406100-1436211938_thumb.pn

Color is bluish/grey, identical to a Bizmarkia.

post-5144-0-86874200-1436211989_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

Palm 6

Also planted in full sun, this one is slowely becoming shaded out. This one has a teal color that we often see in Sabal. It seems to have more tomentum on the petiole than the others.

post-5144-0-27570000-1436212112_thumb.pn

Flatter leaves with many leaflets. Huge thorns along the petiole

post-5144-0-01048600-1436212248_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

They are all beauties no matter what variation :greenthumb: I like palms #1 and 5 the best though.

That one in No. 3 sounds like a serious race horse! Several feet of trunk per year?!?!? :bemused:

(Watch out. It might try to abduct someone . . . :))

The infructescenses look like a hybrid; if they were full armata, they'd be sticking out beyond the leaves. Looks like the petioles are a lot longer than my hybrid.

Save the seeds, sprout some and see what they turn into. I guess the big question as to hybrids is do they "breed true" (stay the same in the seedlings) or do the "F2" babies "revert" to some of the characteristics of the grandparents? Many many plants do that.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

could it have a little Brandi mixed in Jwad??

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

DoomsDave, 2 or 3 feet per year to be more exact. Definitely a rocket. I agree the petioles are longer than yours, however the leaf color is similar. Its glaucous on bottom and green top!

I will plan to germinate some seeds and see what comes up.

Josh-O, good chance it has brandeegi, however its anyone's guess.

Jawad

DoomsDave, 2 or 3 feet per year to be more exact. Definitely a rocket. I agree the petioles are longer than yours, however the leaf color is similar. Its glaucous on bottom and green top!

I will plan to germinate some seeds and see what comes up.

Josh-O, good chance it has brandeegi, however its anyone's guess.

Jawad

Okay, yes, still a rocket. I think yours is a mutt between brandeegii and something else, aside from armata. What else, I don't know.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hammer and I had a chance to visit Brett from Mission Viejo garden on Saturday. I wanted to share with everyone a few pics of a killer Brahea Brett has growing in his front yard. It has taken off like a like rocket, I believe Brett purchase it as "clara" and although it grows with hybrid vigor it does not have the droppy leaves "clara" is known for. Its a very impressive palm in person!

post-5144-0-38558600-1436986884_thumb.jp

post-5144-0-67766800-1436986940_thumb.jp

Here is a bonus shot of a fatty that I found in the neighborhood. The trunk is comparable to the CIDP behind it.

post-5144-0-16442600-1436986965_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Hammer and I had a chance to visit Brett from Mission Viejo garden on Saturday. I wanted to share with everyone a few pics of a killer Brahea Brett has growing in his front yard. It has taken off like a like rocket, I believe Brett purchase it as "clara" and although it grows with hybrid vigor it does not have the droppy leaves "clara" is known for. Its a very impressive palm in person!

attachicon.gifbrettbraheapt.jpg

attachicon.gifbrettsbraheakeysforscale.jpg

Here is a bonus shot of a fatty that I found in the neighborhood. The trunk is comparable to the CIDP behind it.

attachicon.giffatbraheapt.jpg

very nice. I have a couple claras with very stiff leaves, so it could well be a clara. If it grows like a clara, probably is a clara...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

• 3 months later...

post-5144-0-38558600-1436986884_thumb.jp

post-5144-0-67766800-1436986940_thumb.jp

post-5144-0-16442600-1436986965_thumb.jp

Nesh, the first brahea you posted show some strong similaritites to this brahea from the UK imo. Very different fronds from regular armata. 

2015-10-13%2011-49%20Merewood%20Fat%20Brahea.jpg

• Upvote 2

Palm 3.

This palm is growing in full sun. Although sold to me as armata, I am confident this is a hybrid.(similar to dooms daves)

Its holding over 50 leaves and puts on several feet of trunk per year!

post-5144-0-62186500-1436210940_thumb.pn

Here is the trunk with pruners for scale

post-5144-0-11781700-1436211083_thumb.pn

the inflorescence is a dead give away that this isn't a pure armata.

• Upvote 1

Axel Amsterdam,darianbrahea_zps3smh5n07.thumb.jpg.b50ca

Yes, your brahea looks very similiar to Bretts in the first pic.  Its a monster of a palm and grows very fast for brahea.  Maybe Brett can provide an updated pic.

Yours appears to have a darker color to the trunk/boots.  In addition to variation in overall size, leaf texture and color, there also appears to be some variation in the trunk/boots.

Here is a shot of a unique brahea from the Darian garden. I wish I had taken more pics, however you can see it took on a chocolate brown color and really neat pattern in the trunk/boots..

TexasColdhardypalms, yes, definitely not pure armata, Its getting hard to photograph it because of its size and spead.  It also is starting to shade out everthing near it.  I wish I had given it more room, thats the story of my garden. :)

Sailorbold, brahea is a great pillar in my garden.  I dont recall ever losing one. They are very giving palms and easy to grow. 

Caiexta, those leaves looks braheaish, however no clue on the species!

Brahea  ?  Garden Marcel Nauer, São Cristovão-  Sergipe-  Brazil188.thumb.JPG.c2d6f6f57982254ef87c6e451e

looks like a brandegeei to me.

beautiful one!

This is the UK brahea in 2011 after -8C.

It has grown quite a bit trunkwise even without proper summerheat. 

Palm%2001.jpg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Upvote 1

Nesh, do you think you can get a picture when it was small?

I'd love to check out what the caracteristics of these particular brahea's are. 

Axel,

Most of my brahea were purchased as larger palms.

However Brett in MIssion Viejo planted that one above as a strap leaf seedling. Maybe he can chim in with a picture.  In order to obtain the overall size of his, I imagine the palm would need to be grown from seedling otherwise it will never quite reach its potential like other palms that are overgrow in pots or boxes. 

Nesh asked if I could post a more recent pic of the B. Clara in my front yard, so here it is and it is moving fast. Stupidly, I mound planted it in pure sand and I find that is needs regular mag supplements to keep older fronds from yellow-spotting and it has a tendancy to blow over in high wind....lol. URL]Hopefully, as it gets huge, it will root into the surrounding clay loam, so I don't have to keep righting it...it is getting pretty heavy. 

IMG_20151101_130452490_HDR.thumb.jpg.58f

Here it is about 7 years ago when mound planted as a small Junglemusic greenhouse stretched juvenile:

PICT0011.JPG.thumb.jpg.e25333e7e2891e696

• Upvote 2

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Shouldn't clara have droopier leaf segments?

I have one from junglemusic also that has pretty upright leaves like Brett's. I have 6 clara in the ground from 3 different sources and there is variation in the droopiness and color among them all...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Palm #3 is out of this world !    My love is gaining for Brahea.. that's quite a score.

I was cutting down some fronds down from this palm today and thought I would share some pictures of the interesting features.

Side by side of bottom and top of fronds to show the contrast in color.

braheahybridtopandbottomoffrondsidebysid

Here is an entire frond with a trash can for scale.

braheahybridleafwtrashcannosammy.thumb.j

• Upvote 1

From everything that I have been taught or witnessed that much gray or brown tomentum is a sign of an Armata.  All of the Clara that I have seen or own have zero to very, very, very minimal tomentum and have much droopier leaf tips.  I have 56-58 24-36" boxed Armata and the color of the tomentum varies from brown to gray as does the color of the frond.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, trioderob said:

what is this ?

22757759156_1c9d37abb0_b.jpg

Hmm. Based on the eaf stiffness I would say armata, 

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2015, 10:17:52, Pete in Paradise Hills said:

Hmm. Based on the eaf stiffness I would say armata, 

That's an armata

B. armata from Augusta, GA.  Went through 13F and a horrible ice storm two winters ago.  Good foliage color to me.

DSC_0064-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8