• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adonidia merrillii

Joe palma

10 one gallon plants, +1 yr old, 2 leaves, 8-10", saw 32F, under 65% shade cloth, no wind exposure, frost at least one night, all dead.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

• 9 months later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Minimal damage so far, may still be evolving.

under papayas west side of house.

IMG_4126Custom.jpg

Northwest exposure:

IMG_4143Custom.jpg

Southwest exposure:

IMG_4150Custom.jpg

Northeast exposure:

IMG_4177Large.jpg

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...

@ruskinPalms How have these palms fared over the last decade?  Did they eventually perish or make it through 2010 and 2011?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone (2012): 9b | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (1985, 1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a | 30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Unfortunately I moved from that house around 2009. They did live through freeze in 2008 though. Most did fine in my area through the advective freeze of Jan 2018 where they saw 27F to 28F - without protection in the open in people’s front yards. 

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 3 years later...

This my Canary err Andonidia in a coal mine experiment. This small neglected seedling sat out in the middle of my front yard through half the summer and is still sitting in the same un protected spot through the several nights of cold we’ve had on the central east coast. I thought for sure the frosty Monday we had a couple of weeks ago would have killed it but at least at the moment its still green-ish. Of course other potted Christmas palms from this same year old batch that weren’t neglected are much bigger and healthier. The low was 36.5 for about 2 hours I think Then 37.5 the next night with frost on the car windows and patchy frost on the grass.

2860E0B8-F07C-44FB-9A4E-3608202E8AF1.jpeg

• Like 2