IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New jubaea advice

yabazid

Here's the Jub today. I've been away for 7 months to see that all my palms have grown and looked slightly different but not the Jubaea. It's still just sitting there. Here's a pic from today.

looking forward to see how it will look like by the end of the summer

image.jpeg

During the winter and early spring, I compulsively and gently tug on all of my emerging spears to make sure they're intact. Every year I'm surprised at how some pull with ease. After that I treat with hydrogen peroxide. I'd give your Jubaea a bit of a tug to see how the spear is doing. Hopefully it's fine and if it is, at least you'll know that it just went dormant during the winter.

• 8 months later...

Damn! I hate that... did the spear pull? If thats the same spear from this past March then that doesn't look good. 

A few things. I'd yank the grass out from around it and mulch to reduce competition. I'd try to wrestle that spear out and dig any rotted material out. I'd split the whole thing with a saw so the crown/meristem can drain. I'd add lots of peroxide and small amounts of copper to the crown weekly. I'd cover it for each freeze this year. I'm confident that you're rotting. If you can get the crown dry and stop the rot, there may be some hope. 

Also, not to pick too much of a fight, but TexasColdHardyPalms could use some humility when it comes to his palm knowledge. You have a tendency to condescend. This community is diverse and deep in our experience with palms. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

I'ts very sad to see it but I dont think it will make it.

If you were to cut it in half vertically i think all the tissue inside will be brown right the way down and this is stopping water from the roots getting to the leaves. 

I'ts likely  infection got in to the broken spear and went downwards. normally the rest of the spear grows out so any infection grows out and dries up but a newly planted palm can be stressed and then only make roots for the first 2 years so the two factors plus your high summer humidity have messed things up. 

This jubaea went bad exactly like yours and by the time i realised  the centre spear and  3  leaves  all pulled out. With alot of work I managed to get rid of the rot but the growth point is dead inside so the plant cant grow any more leaves.

If any rain got in there it would start rotting straight away again.

Its been like this for 2 years now and I cant see how it can ever recover as it cant make new leaves. I think if it were possible to save yours ( which I doubt) the same thing would happen anyway.

My advice would be to try again with another in spring and put it down to experiance. If you really want to save it you could dig it up and bring it under artificial shelter but this is the wrong time of year to have this kind of problem. mine has survived because i used peroxide every 2 days and then turned it upside down to empty the hole and kept it dry ever since.

Dont get disheartened by this you will have amazing success in the future if you try again with another one its just bad luck

jubaea spear pull.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, buffy said:

A few things. I'd yank the grass out from around it and mulch to reduce competition. I'd try to wrestle that spear out and dig any rotted material out. I'd split the whole thing with a saw so the crown/meristem can drain. I'd add lots of peroxide and small amounts of copper to the crown weekly. I'd cover it for each freeze this year. I'm confident that you're rotting. If you can get the crown dry and stop the rot, there may be some hope. 

Also, not to pick too much of a fight, but TexasColdHardyPalms could use some humility when it comes to his palm knowledge. You have a tendency to condescend. This community is diverse and deep in our experience with palms. 

10-4

I just think its to cold in 8a for jubaea to thrive in your climate. I found that out myself when my big Jubaea died from two cold 8a winters. And then two years later it stated to grow again and wouldn’t you know it, another cold winter killed it for good. Now I only grow Jubaea hybrids. Have not had any problems so far; just waiting for a really bad winter to come along and put them to the test. 

The moral of this story is…The moment you’re ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens. 

Don’t Give Up! Lots of good advice given! 

Edited by Palm crazy

i'm in 8a there my jubaea in 2012 ^_^

12956314123_94d4c7a3fb_c.jpg

this autumn sorry for the picture quality just before night with poor smartphone

29465840604_cc83b65b7f_z.jpg

The watering cane give scale

Edited by Zifool
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/12/2017, 3:16:45, yabazid said:

dead

Both my hybrids that were 50% Jubaea or greater also died in SE NC.  It wasn't the winter that killed them, but hot and wet during the summer when planted in the ground.  They looked great, until the middle spears just rotted and pulled in July.  The remaining fronds slowly just died from top to bottom... The (BxJ)xJ was doing great in a pot, and didn't care about the rain and humidity, until I put it in the ground and the drainage was less than perfect in my heavy soil. 

My F2 or 3 JXB is doing great. No damage in winter or summer!   

Everyone always says Jubaea are so cold hardy. I think that those words need to be taken with a serious grain of salt.  On another forum (years ago), I was advised to plant Jubaea in my climate and that it would do great.  I'm glad I could never find a specimen (as it would've been royally expensive) because they seem to not withstand consistent cold weather.  300 miles south of me they absolutely struggle, wither and die due to occasionally cold weather whereas Washingtonia robusta, W. filifera, and Phoenix canariensis are able to survive those same cold spells and thrive in the periods between such spells. I think I'd only try Jubaea in a maritime climate that mostly stays between 50 and 80.

I know some will disagree with me, but show me a large Jubaea growing in 8A or colder.