IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm tree on/in sun deck around pool

Straight6tt

We are finishing up building a deck around our semi-inground pool and I love the look of the deck going around a palm or two. I am needing some suggestions for what palm to grow in/around our deck. The deck is on the west side of the pool so it will still get sun all day long and the palm will only affect sun later in the afternoon. Having said all that I think a palm that doesnt have a massive canopy is probably best and something with a medium to skinny trunk. I was thinking of putting a mule palm at this spot but the canopy gets fairly large on mules I have heard. Because of this I was thinking of just putting a regular queen although this isnt my favorite palm.

Any suggestions from the experts? (zone 9a)

Forgot to mention the deck is only about 8" off the ground so the palm(s) will be planted in the ground and come up through a hole in the deck.

A queen canopy will be almost as large as a mule. Hard to to beat a mule in our area for this application. Less mess than a queen also. Way more hardy. Pretty darn carefree palm.looks somewhat coconutty. Grows fast....I could go on and on......

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

queen palm because you can walk underneath the fronds within a year or two, even if you buy the HD/Lowes $40 size (don't buy the $12.99 size). The shape lends itself to having overhead fronds quickly. The only down side is that you may have brown-looking fronds by February/March if you have a winter like 2009-2010. However, by April it may look back to normal again.

The other alternatives for your region may grow fast, but they won't have overhead fronds for a while. A mule palm will spread outward, hogging valuable space on your deck until it forms a trunk. Washingtonia fronds will also be in your face for a while and they have nasty teeth too. Chinese fan palms -- same thing, even slower. Trachycarpus won't be overhead for a while unless you plan to spend a lot of money on a large one. Yet, if you are going to fork out money for a large centrepiece tree (with a trunk already big enough to walk underneath), I would choose Canary Island Date Palm for your climate.

Plant a mule over a queen any day. Mules are (usually) sterile. Queens will drop flowers, aborted seeds, ripe mushy fruit all over your deck & pool. And those seeds present a major slip & fall hazard - I can attest to that. Nor will queens survive your winters long term. Queens are also susceptible to a fusiarum wilt that got all mine (12-14)in just a year. Cost us $1,000 to have the largest taken out.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Queen after Polar Vortex

post-97-0-25055800-1435696825.jpg

Mule after Polar Vortex

post-97-0-01509500-1435696855.jpg

Mules are so so slow in comparison to Queens though. Just depends on how many years you are willing to wait.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for all the suggestions, it sounds like a mule is the best option. I wish I lived closer to florida so I could pick up a larger one but I guess I'll just have to be patient. What are your thoughts on putting one of the phoenix varieties back there? Maybe sylvestris or loureii?

You a supra owner?

Yes sir, 97 alpine silver turbo. Just ordered a greddy fmic for my birthday at the end of the month.

Yes, they are slower...but not as slow as Butia......almost like a cross between them :happy: Eric ships decent sized ones (I think)....7 gallon?

Sylvestris are great....just make sure you get a really nice form....I personally prefer thicker yellow trunks with silver grey fronds that are not necessarily long and thick, full crown. Lot's of variation out there.

Show us completed work...

You know, it's funny - I have a Butia yatay that seems to be out-pacing my mules.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for all the suggestions, it sounds like a mule is the best option. I wish I lived closer to florida so I could pick up a larger one but I guess I'll just have to be patient. What are your thoughts on putting one of the phoenix varieties back there? Maybe sylvestris or loureii?

You a supra owner?

Yes sir, 97 alpine silver turbo. Just ordered a greddy fmic for my birthday at the end of the month.

Awesome. I have a 97 DJG single turbo 6sp. Small world!

Edited by MKIVRYAN