IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Question about heliconia pastazae and heliconia dielsiana cold hardiness.

clinton9

Hi members,

I have questions:

Are both heliconia pastazae and heliconia dielsiana cold hardy to minimum -5 oC below freezing point ???

Can heliconia pastazae & heliconia dielsiana be grown in 50% pumice/coarse sand and 50% compost mixed together ??? 100% loamy soil ??? 100% pumice/coarse sand ???

Can heliconia pastazae & heliconia dielsiana grown in zone 9B and 9A in latitude 37 oS ???

Both heliconia pastazae and heliconia dielsiana are high elevation plants, grow at 900 metres to 2,300 metres above sea-level.

I need feedback from members who grow heliconia pastazae & heliconia dielsiana in their gardens.

• 1 year later...

I am disappointment as I had been patiently waiting for 1 2/2 past years for your feedback about h.pastazae & h.dielsiana cold hardiness.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's time for a experiment to find out which one will grow better.  Because maybe not too many people grow heliconias in zone 9a and 9b. I do see a few heliconias in California but not too many. I try to grow them but they did not do too well some because of lack of water.

• Upvote 1

I grew Heliconia pastazae many years (over 20 years) ago down in subtropical Brisbane (much warmer than your climate)...... It grew reasonably well but I never managed to obtain any flowers from it and I suspect that it is quite finicky and requires quite a narrow climatic range to thrive and flower well.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland