IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some progress pics

SailorBold

Here are some progress pics as we head into Summer- I hope everyone is having a great growing season thus far...

post-8989-0-89337900-1433888038_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-07946700-1433888083_thumb.jp

post-8989-0-74749500-1433888178_thumb.jp

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Brahea... opened its 2nd frond so far with a nice healthy spear on its way..

post-8989-0-02291000-1433888630_thumb.jp

Here are my 'TorC' filifera.. starting to grow fast. These were strappers 2 years ago.

post-8989-0-52630800-1433889014_thumb.jp

That’s some serious new palm growth after spear pull, how cold did you get last winter? Looking good and nice to see all your handywork in the front yard. Whats that little silver plant on the lower right on first photo? Nice to see things rebounding nicely.

Edited by Palm crazy

Looking good Jimmy, glad to see everything doing well heading into summer. Not the most brutal of winters, but not particularly that mild either. I still find it amazing what you're growing in Albuquerque.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Your palms look much better in person! That euc looks like it has grown a foot or so in a month or so!

I just can't get over how different your garden is to 99% of the gardens we see on here. Very Southwest Contemporary. It will be interesting to see how your garden develops over the years....do you have a drip system or do you hand water?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

That’s some serious new palm growth after spear pull, how cold did you get last winter? Looking good and nice to see all your handywork in the front yard. Whats that little silver plant on the lower right on first photo? Nice to see things rebounding nicely.

Starting to take off for sure.. I ran into problems with clogged dripper lines that were buried in the gravel.. so there were several plants that weren't even being watered.. :bummed: eeeg... My neighborhood was around 15f (14.8) roughly.. 2 nights in a row...the NWS airport reported 12f I think.. but I suspect parts of the city were warmer still. Thanks for the compliment.. it has been a slow painful process.

The silver plants well.. the 2 plants there are a small agave and a dead ocotillo.. I need to remove it- such a finicky plant.. Extremely low success rates in transplanting those suckers.. they need to be planted in the same north south orientation which I think is what did it in.. weird huh..

Im happy with how things are coming along.. I still have more plants to put in but at least I got the dripper lines to the palms near the street and covered it with gravel..finally.. the sand gets extremely hot there hard to keep it moist.

Looking good Jimmy, glad to see everything doing well heading into summer. Not the most brutal of winters, but not particularly that mild either. I still find it amazing what you're growing in Albuquerque.

Tim

Thanks Tim.. Yep that's how the weather is here as you know.. hard to assess winter.. overall it was pretty mild though. I hope these palms will start to establish better. Some of the hybrids were planted later in the year last season.. so still new. I would put it out on a limb and say that no one has trialed any of these trees. We will see huh.. The J X B will be interesting...

Your palms look much better in person! That euc looks like it has grown a foot or so in a month or so!

Thanks jwitt.. I started watering it.. well and finally added a dripper line to it so it gets regular water now or it may be a combination of our wet spring we have been having. I like how the gravel brings out its color.. neat !

I just can't get over how different your garden is to 99% of the gardens we see on here. Very Southwest Contemporary. It will be interesting to see how your garden develops over the years....do you have a drip system or do you hand water?

Yeah its like 'rockscaping' huh.. hard to say garden..rock garden maybe. I don't have a lot of plants but hopefully it will work out. As you know its difficult and out of zone some of these palms. I have a drip.. not on everything but most of the water plants.. the cacti are pretty good without supplemental water and good for flowers.

I hand water still.. trying to work out the watering regimen for the drip system. They tell you to water everyday in the summer here.. but I just changed my irrigation times to 4 hours twice a week. Gonna see how it goes Shrugs..

Time will tell if it works out well- as I said before.. pretty novice even with the deign stuff I hope it compliments the house in the future.

Thanks bub

Have you thought about any hardy heat loving cycads in your garden? Whats the next thing your going to plant or are you done for now?

I bet a Nannorrhops ritchiana would like your conditions. I'd try the silver one too.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Have you thought about any hardy heat loving cycads in your garden? Whats the next thing your going to plant or are you done for now?

Yes indeedy I have plans for some Dioon (neat lookin!)...maybe next season. The upper area next to the house is going to be my 'tropical oasis' and I intend to add several. I have Lehmanii but I think I may remove it... it did reasonably well and only browned out at the coldest time of the year so it took frost ok. Im mostly done with planting this season.. I have a few things left like Mangave Macho Mocha.. a few agaves, trichocereus.. hardy hibiscus. Are you adding anything new?

I bet a Nannorrhops ritchiana would like your conditions. I'd try the silver one too.

Gonna see where I can add one.. in the works. I was reading up on their habitat and I can just about match that. Soil conditions too. We will see. Hey did you get your J x S yet?

Cool your growing the right plants for your hot dry climate. No new plants here I have enough as it is, but if I see something really neat and different than yes I will buy it. LOL! I also do a lot of trading with other gardeners here. Looking for a nice dyckia plant for a planter, may have to go mail order for that one.

some nice formal landscaping and the palms look happy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate