IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do Rednecks Trim Tall Palms?

Alicehunter2000

With a climbing tree stand of course!

When I'm not hunting I put my equipment to good use.post-97-0-35572400-1433014146_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Haha! Is it the self climbing kind? I use to hunt with my dad using those. Neat idea.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Yes, its a climbing stand. The Tree Lounger.....I've had it for years....love that stand ....so comfortable you can sleep in it without the fear of falling out....makes a pretty great palm trimming platform too.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome idea David. The only thing missing is your real tree camo atire

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Lol....too hot for the Realtree camo....unless they come in shorts....hey there's an idea...lol.

The beer came after.....but agreed....the beer HAT would be awsome....especially if it came in Realtree camo

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I don't hunt so that would have never popped in my head. Do those damage the trunk at all? The neighbors here just had their trees trimmed and there are all kinds of damage to the trunk now.

Thanks for the idea!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

No damage....it actually works quite well. Just couldn't stand to pay somebody to butcher it and crush all the small stuff below. One of the other primary reasons for the trim is so it does not catch excess wind....during hurricane season need to be able to hurricane cut quickly....those suckers catch a lot of wind.

I need to buy one of these, how much does it cost? Does it work also on still covered trunks with leaf boots?

When I first saw the thread title, I thought the answer would be a match.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Lol....didn't really think it was that novel of an idea ....just kind of stumbled into it. Was already climbing trees to deer/hog hunt....so natural progression of thought.

Not going to work for trees with boots unless they are cut really close and are very firmly attached.

You can Google "climbing tree stands" for a range of options. This one I got is expensive....because I like to take naps when hunting.....its called a "Tree Lounger" ....its aluminum so it is more lightweight than ones made out of steel....it can also be backpacked into the woods much easier than cheaper ones.

Good job there David! I have been eyeing the various non-damaging, palm climbing aids for some time now! Seems like this is comfortable but isn't it too much stress on the trunk due to leaning too far out? I have been eyeing the foot aids(which hug the trunk with straps, no spikes) with which you stay parallel and close to the trunk, minimizing the stress on thinner trunked palms. I am sure a Washingtonia is tough enough to not mind at all, but for thinner palms it might be a consideration :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I didn't know they made 40' ladders?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24