IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia damage

Palm crazy

No palms were protected last winter.

The low this winter was 21F, but yet I noticed last evening that five out of twelve butia have some form or another… fungus damage. I gave them all a dose of copper soap and hopefully that will help keep the disease from progressing. Some are all ready pushing out new growth so that’s a good sign. Butia hate cool rainy 8a. Good news is my Jubaea x Butia and BxJ were not damaged.

X Butyagrus nabonnadii has some damage but will recover this summer. Also, one trachycarpus ‘princeps’ may be a goner, the other two look perfect thank goodness.

Here are some pics of the damage butia and hybrids, sorry there not very clear.

X Butyagrus nabonnadii.

DSC00001_zpsuzkx5ke9.jpg

JxB Lest amount of damage.

DSC00006_zps2timshxs.jpg

Blue Butia.

DSC00010_zpsu3pue5dr.jpg

Butia catarinensis. Two pics of the same palm.

DSC00013_zpspsluoj3t.jpg

DSC00007_zpshk3wq6o8.jpg

This B. catarinensis has no damage. Right behind it is the Butia Blue.

DSC00018_zpst1hyoion.jpg

They don't really like cold, wet winters. I'm surprised you have all of those in Washington. I've been there and know how cloudy and rainy it can be.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

They don't really like cold, wet winters. I'm surprised you have all of those in Washington. I've been there and know how cloudy and rainy it can be.

An’t it so!

It’s really not the cool rain so much as it is the cool rain followed by freezes. Those butia hold a lot of water in the crown and leaf base and as you said, the cloudy winter days don’t help either. LOL!

In dry 8b WA they do a lot better and I know a few that are close to Puget Sound that have some impressive growth with a few that are trunking. One of these days I’ll go to a friends house out of town that has one with almost 5’ of clear trunk.

Mine are on borrow time, when the next big freeze comes and takes them out, that may be the last time I grow them. Hey more room for chamaedorea radicalis.

Once they get bigger I doubt it will be as much of an issue. How's your drainage? We get wet freezing winters and Butia are pratically naturalized here.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Drainage is good, natural sandy loam. We get 8”-9” of rain per month in winter. It also very dark for weeks with no clear skies, except at night. I’ve had big ones died on me before when the temp went to 12F and full spear pull at 15F. If only I never went below 20F I would have it made…most other palm gardeners here are 8b, but not me. All I can do is wrap them next time until they get to big to protect, some years I only have to do it once, other four times a winter. I need a few 9b winter in arrow. Oh well at least they’re recovering and will be even bigger by the end of summer.

Edited by Palm crazy

My palms are still small so I do agree with you once they get bigger they increase in hardiness.

Small butia tend to do the same thing here in the DFW area until they form a wide trunk. I have had complete spear pull on 5-10G plants at icy 15-22degree weather while the large plants on the north side of the property were never phased.

Dynodaddy thanks for your input. I’m hoping the extra heat this summer will help them store more sugar this winter, since it might be a bad winter, will have to see. I planted them three years ago as 5 gal plants. The ones on the east side of the house have more sun and are much bigger than the other ones, even though they were all planted the same year.

Other parts of the country that are z8 are about 10 degrees warmer than us all year long. That makes a huge difference on palm recovery. The normal highs in winter here in Dec, Jan, Feb are only in the low to mid 40’s. And the warmest months average daily high is only in the upper 70’s. But a typical summer day here is 78F to 88F. With a few 90’s every few weeks.

Like I always say, we can grow just about anything here from around the temperate world just not palms, LOL!

Edited by Palm crazy

I had some 3G containers with spear pull last year and some in the ground that have a burned spear like yours. I wouldn't worry, as they get older they'll be fine. I had plenty around them that show no damage at all. Some are just a little tender than others.

I had some 3G containers with spear pull last year and some in the ground that have a burned spear like yours. I wouldn't worry, as they get older they'll be fine. I had plenty around them that show no damage at all. Some are just a little tender than others.

Hmmmm! I’ve never thought of looking at it that way. I’ve always thought Butia were all had the same hardiness but your probably right, they all didn’t come from the same seed source I’m sure. LOL! Thanks!

Hmmmm! I’ve never thought of looking at it that way. I’ve always thought Butia were all had the same hardiness but your probably right, they all didn’t come from the same seed source I’m sure. LOL! Thanks!

I know for sure all mine came from parent Butia palms within 20 miles of each other as I collected all the seed. Which should mean none or all of them should show damage. Weird huh,,,

I know for sure all mine came from parent Butia palms within 20 miles of each other as I collected all the seed. Which should mean none or all of them should show damage. Weird huh,,,

LOL!