IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hope you're all right in Texas

DoomsDave

For those who don't know, there was a disastrous storm and flood in Texas this past weekend.

There have been threads in Weather, but, I'm asking our Texas friends to let us know you're okay.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have seen the news, I hope everyone we know is ok. I hope at least these rains have busted the drought in the affected areas.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I tried to watch the news on tv about the terrible flooding in Dallas etc, but it brought back too many bad memories of my own time getting flooded out. I hope and pray that every one we know is safe and well.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Amen, Peach!

Hope you're okay in Texas.

So sorry to hear about the disaster.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Safe and sound at my place in SE Houston. Fortunately my home is not subject to flooding. There were probably several hundred cars and homes that got water in them over the last few days n Houston, The flooding was wide spread across the state with San Antonio, Austin and Dallas seeing heavy rains also. Small communities along the Blanco river in central Texas got slammed. The body count is up to about 30 across the state.

Houston does pretty well with heavy rains considering it is nicknamed the Bayou City. Drainage is from west to east generally with water ways emptying into Galveston bay. The core of engineers have done a good job considering that every couple of decades we get insane 30--40 inch rains. Green spaces along the bayous give the water a wide berth and reservoirs on the west side of town collect a lot of water before it can flow through the city.

bayou-park-map-now.jpg

The reservoirs west of town are 10s of square mile and double as recreational areas with sports fields, picnic areas biking and hiking for 99% of the time but then fill up with heavy rains and trap it so it does not flow through the city.

The water levels in the dry reservoirs came up 6-8 feet during the recent storms to form temporary lakes.

What used to be lazy swampy bayous flowing through the city have been streamlined to provide maximum water flow.

white-oak-bayou-houston--large-msg-11438

Buffalo Bayou flows through downtown.

slideshow-09.jpg

The corp of engineers have also developed water retention areas throughout the city to capture rain water.

03ArtStoreyPkDetentConst.jpg

That being said there are times when it still just rains too much. The last really bad rain was in 2001 when parts of town got 35 inches, a frog strangler as it is called.

Allison.jpg

The good news is that the forecast is for sunny and dry for the next week across the state. Now I just have to go out in the back yard and perform mouth to mouth to resuscitate the amphibians.

livefrog.jpg

Ed in Houston

My brother lives in Houston and the water came within inches of his front door.He said it rained an inch in less than five minutes ( 9.5 total in five hours). I think Houston is prone to flooding and everyone who has lived there always has alternate routes to avoid flooded streets.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

oH YES

ahem

Hugetown can flood, oh yeah.

who-hoo-hoo-hoo-yeah

I would not say Houston has a flooding problem at all. Houston is the fifth-most populated metropolitan area in the United States, covers 655 sq miles, CMSA covers 8,778 square miles, and has long been known for excellence in their municipal works. And by the incredible amounts of rainfall it takes to cause flooding there, I would say that reputation is well deserved. While the national news made much of it, for the amount of rain sustained, and the size of the area, it could have been much worse, much much worse in a less well designed city.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I would not say Houston has a flooding problem at all. Houston is the fifth-most populated metropolitan area in the United States, covers 655 sq miles, CMSA covers 8,778 square miles, and has long been known for excellence in their municipal works. And by the incredible amounts of rainfall it takes to cause flooding there, I would say that reputation is well deserved. While the national news made much of it, for the amount of rain sustained, and the size of the area, it could have been much worse, much much worse in a less well designed city.

They've made vast improvements since 1979.

Which is a good thing.