IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Jubaea delivery in the UK

benbaron

Cool. Whats the story?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

:w00: ........ Sweeeet! That must have cost a pretty penny....gotta love instant gratification.....now show us where it will be planted.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

That is a corker!

How many people did it take to move it?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, I have seen the tennis shoe next to the palm for scale. In this case, I think the person for scale is appropriate. Congrats.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nice big baby there. Surely the centerpiece for your cold hardy palm yard. I spot some trachys. What's your zone? Curious what else you have growing there.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Hi guys, I will respond with more info later but for now...

Update with a few planting pics...

7 ton of soil and sand to empty out
926B56C7-224A-4EB8-BA6E-DCDC0395FC68.jpg
Buggered up my lawn :(
C2106E87-0D3F-418A-8C72-F7CC30D3F4FA.jpg
2 ton down...
E62A9EED-E467-4CA5-B3D0-DF9CD5AD4E3E.jpg
3 ton down...
E1944458-8AB2-4D1C-8C0E-6E2411EDA5D1.jpg

Had enough for today...

That is one beautiful Jubaea. Going as big as you can afford is the way to go with this palm. Thanks for posting the progress.

What is the thinking behind mounding it up so high?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

idk. but it looks like he didn't have a way to lift it into a hole or move it around. so he cut it out of the pot and mounded the dirt around it.

idk. but it looks like he didn't have a way to lift it into a hole or move it around. so he cut it out of the pot and mounded the dirt around it.

It's being planted in like the dampest place on earth, as well. Mounding might not be a terrible idea.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Yeah, mounding might work.

They grow in London . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi guys,

ok - quick story - I started growing Musa a few years ago and recently moved into a new property with much more room. As such I sourced a supplier for them comming as tc'd plugs. I had to buy loads to get the qty I required for self use and sold the rest. I did ok out of that so thought with obsession running high with palms as well I managed to find some suppliers for palms and as such though I would sell a couple to fund the purchase of more palms to fill our new garden.

This is a funded palm from a supplier that I have a trade account with, a very good price since it is a field dug example..I wouldnt have been able to afford such a size pot grown anyway ;)

So - moved into position -cut the pot off and mound planted it with quite a few other bits (update later), we are in zone 8a so protection not entirely required but Im not chancing it.

Mound planting as we are on heavy clay and very wet, mound planted it for the drainage...

Ben, where in the UK are you? do you have more pics of your garden? thanks for sharing

In Lancashire - sunniest and warmest spot in the UK......errr...that should be...dampest and greyest in the UK :winkie:

Ok - quick update - probably easier if I post a link to a photobucket album....

got planted - Butia, brahea, yucca rostrata, waggie, nanas, colocasias, cannas etc....

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/kreativejuice/library/Mobile Uploads/2015-05

In Lancashire - sunniest and warmest spot in the UK......errr...that should be...dampest and greyest in the UK :winkie:

got planted - Butia, brahea, yucca rostrata, waggie, nanas, colocasias, cannas etc....

Very impressive! But: Jubaea, Butia, and Brahea in the dampest and greyest spot on heavy clay ... ??? Is that a good idea ???

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Very impressive! But: Jubaea, Butia, and Brahea in the dampest and greyest spot on heavy clay ... ??? Is that a good idea ???

Thats why I mound planted in a nice free draining mix :)

Ben,

Ho far away is the Jube from those canopy trees? If you don't have have at least 10 feet of clearance there is going to be a battle for sunlight as the palm grows.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Hiya - yes plenty of room dont worry - plus its southish facing (meaning mostly in sun for us as the trees are behind it in relation to the sun).

Just to illustrate why I mound planted.....

This is a hole I dug the other day which filled full of rain water and still hasnt drained away 24hrs later

IMG_4896.jpg

And here is my mound, lovely and water free....

IMG_4897.jpg

It's my understanding that Brahea is a desert Palm. I don't have any experience with them but how will they survive in such a wet and moist environment?

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

It's my understanding that Brahea is a desert Palm. I don't have any experience with them but how will they survive in such a wet and moist environment?

because he mounded planted them.

plus my understanding is they do better with wet cool rather than hot humid.

Whoa.....thats some wet mucky mix there......it can rain hard here and be dry as a bone the next day.....the world is full of extremes. Good luck.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

OMG! Now I see why you’re growing above ground level, thats some serious wet clay. Good for Ginger, Cannas, Gunnera, Banana’s!

Also mounting your Jubaea up with fast draining soil will also help heat it up and that should help it grow faster. Good luck! Great pictures too.

Edited by Palm crazy

:mrlooney: loads of nutrients but nasty drainage :indifferent: Swings and roundabouts.....

Im watering (err well when Im going to need to - havent done yet...) with warm water as well - apparently this helps quite alot. Double doseing with palm booster to help establish a good root system.

Ive seen a small amount of growth since it was delivered (milimeters rather than cm) but its moving atleast.

cheers all

Ben

is this going to work with a Jub ?

I was under the impression that a Jub transplanted must drive a central tap root deep into the ground to get established.

if it was me I would drive some drainage tubes radially underground to get the water flowing away from the root area - you dont want root rot !

to me that soil looks real bad - you dont want the plant to send out surface roots only into the mound as Jubs get huge !

i would dig it out and create a huge hole with proper draining soil

this project has me interested

:interesting:

Edited by trioderob

Yes I was worried about that but in reality its not going to get that massive in my lifetime in this climate (if at all survive).

I think as it grows I will look at expanding the mound and making sure its got plenty of soil to root into.

I think I probably painted the picture of my soil as a little worse than what it actually is - a benefit of the clay is that when its rooted into it from above it wont have the pocket of water that would have been created by digging a hole.

I think it will be fine rooting into it and not be too wet - water cant permeate it that well but also cant drainaway...swings and roundabouts...

• 3 weeks later...

good call on mound planting

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24