IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Collections of breeding, large cycads, and a lot more

cycadjungle

After 29 years of running my nursery, I am close to giving up being a "collector". This doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of the nursery, but there are large, coning Encephalartos and Dioons that I would not sell to people if they asked and were considered my private collection. I have grown 200 species of cycads and 275 species of palms over the years. Even though I got rid of most of my palms, there are still odds and ends all over the place. I also have very special cycads, like a collection of Tineroo bowenias that came from seed, from location 20 years ago. With things like these, at this point in time, I want to find people who will keep a colony and maybe breed them someday. I have Zamias that came from Fairchild, that they didn't even know what they were, Zamias of type locality that are pretty rare.

I have gingers, Crinum Lillies, variegated Aspidistras, agaves, Sansevierias, various aroids, and just all kinds of stuff sitting around. When people come out to buy things, I'll be giving away these kinds of things to people who like the various types of plants. I'm one of those people who tried to collect everything and can't throw away plants, so I'm sitting on about 40,000 plants, and enough cycads to fill a solid 85 acres, if they were planted so they would touch each other 10 years from now.

So, if you live in the SE United States and can come out and take the tour, I have enough plants to fill several botanical gardens. For all of you who have been customers over the years and are looking for something special, it is probably for sale. Tom Broome

The Cycad Jungle

cycadjungle.8m.com/

• Upvote 2

Whoa! Tom....that's awsome....would love to try and head down there to buy some stuff. My wife and kids are going to wedding up in Georgia July 10th-12th ......hmmm might be able to sneak down there. Gonna Google where your located....you got my wheels turning...

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hi Tom, maybe someday soon i will head over, Not to far from Orlando so it would be worth it.

Thanks. Will

I'm a couple of miles off exit 38 of I-4, which for people not around here is pretty much half way between Orlando and Tampa. My place is always by appointment only, but unless I'm mailing something or delivering to a theme park, I'm usually around. Along with all the things I have mentioned, I'm also busy growing and shipping fresh super hot peppers. So I stay real busy. Anyone who had never come out, if you want to see everything and want to talk about plants, 3 hours goes by before you realize it, so earlier in the morning is always best. People come out from Arizona, Texas and closer, and down from Georgia and the Carolinas. City of Charleston used to come out once a year, but that was probably 15-20 years ago now.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...