IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is W.filibusta slower growing than W. robusta?

Hardypalms

Hi

I recently acquired a W.filibusta seedling, I planted it over a month ago here in my zone 7 north of Atlanta and placed a fertilizer spike next to it and I am yet to notice any growth. I have had W.robusta in the past and those seem to grow very fast. It's only mid-May, am I being impatient?

Thanks

Patrick

Give it some more time, hybrids are usually rockets. Are you planning on protecting it this winter?

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

yes I will definitely protect it. Maybe xmas lights or wrap it and a garbage can over it.

Patrick

They are just about the same speed. Filifera is also close to the same speed until it develops trunk.

They are just about the same speed. Filifera is also close to the same speed until it develops trunk.

Ok great thxs

Patrick

Here is a great "Filibusta" grown from seed I collected maybe 7 years ago? Anyway, had a whole bunch in pots and they grew fairly slowly....really went through alot a abuse and moving around. I traded or gave most of them away but kept this one ....it's really turning out nice. All the seeds were at least F2 .... the parent palms are perfect cross between filifera and robusta.

post-97-0-65986000-1431869007_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hybrids are variable; however, the Washingtonias are all pretty fast when young.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

They grow straight out of concrete and blacktop in Los Angeles !

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Everything I read about the hybrid washingtonia is that they are much faster than both filifera and robusta.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

In my very limited personal experience, filibusta is slightly faster than robusta. I have no experience with filifera.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I know it's different, but I am amazed when I hear people say Filifera is faster. It isn't even close when given same amount of care that Robusta is faster. Look at palm gardens around SoCal and ask the gardeners which is faster that lasted both at same time. Robusta towers over Filifera in these gardens. I would bet the cross is faster than straight Filifera too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have quite a bit of experience with all three. RIght now I have about 1700 filifera coming up from seed right now and I just sold the last of the 1200 robusta and hybrids that I will ever grow again. WIth the summer heat that we get here all three are just about the same until they get potted up into a 5G or in the ground. That is when the robusta and hybrid will start to pull away. However, long after the robusta's die from the cold the fillifera will still be standing tall, unphased. Here is are a few pictures of a hybrid that I planted in 2009 from a 1 gallon (one year from seed). I measured it the other day and there is 140+" of clear trunk. I'll post similar growth rate of a filifera as soon as I can locate the photos.

post-6810-0-28310200-1432423378_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-43563000-1432423381_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-44653200-1432423386_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-55293000-1432423398_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-16348100-1432423408_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-68311600-1432423657_thumb.jp