IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Patric Hybrids Are Here, The Patric Hybrids Are Here!!

buccaneers37

It is always a good day when you get a package from Patric. And I want to commend him on his wonderful packing. Great week: Flogging Molly on Wednesday, Jeff Beck / ZZ Top last night, The Patic Hybrids today, Picking up a E. caffer & then going to see The Pixies / The Strokes tomorrow.(I have been very busy, will update my concert thread shortly).

L to R JubaeaxButia - B. yatayxQueen - B. paraguayensisxParajubaea cocoides

post-4410-0-78490500-1431096233_thumb.jp

post-4410-0-29920700-1431096238_thumb.jp

And yes, I know I have a messy desk :)

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

Nice! I think you are going to be shocked by the paraguayensis x cocoides growth rate! Get it straight in the ground!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Nice! I think you are going to be shocked by the paraguayensis x cocoides growth rate! Get it straight in the ground!

I hope so, but have had this discussion on here before. For some reason, the PJC hybrids don't seem to grow as fast for me as they do in California. I have the B. capitataxPJC. Even though it has given me fairly impressive growth, my JxQueen has far outgrown it.

I plan on getting all of them in the ground once I identify some good spots. My yard seems to be continually shrinking! I put my last shipment from him in pots for 1+ years before I planted them, however they were smaller.

Brandon.gif

MAN! .....I'm so jealous! ....those look fantastic. Do you have his current list and for the zillianth time, contact info?....I'm assuming he will take a personal check mailed to him. (I don't like paying over internet much).

Thanks

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Oh happy days!

They look great and you can already see the difference in each one of them by the trunk size and color. I’ve been meaning to get some new ones from Patrick this summer.

Please show some update this summer love to see how they change.

Great looking palms my friend. I guess they will he going straight in the ground.

I think we share a taste in music as well as hybrid palms.

Perfect choices. I'm so excited for you! I want to see photos as they grow!

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I'm going to scope out the perfect spots tomorrow, but tonight, the concert. The Strokes are one of my "Bucket List Bands".

Brandon.gif

It appears the Florida and Gulf Coast does better with JxS

A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind ! :floor:

San Francisco, California

A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind ! :floor:

Very true - as long as you know where everything is. :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

It is always a good day when you get a package from Patric. And I want to commend him on his wonderful packing. Great week: Flogging Molly on Wednesday, Jeff Beck / ZZ Top last night, The Patic Hybrids today, Picking up a E. caffer & then going to see The Pixies / The Strokes tomorrow.(I have been very busy, will update my concert thread shortly).

L to R JubaeaxButia - B. yatayxQueen - B. paraguayensisxParajubaea cocoides

attachicon.gifJxB-YatayxQ-B. Parag.xPJC 5-8-15 1.JPG

attachicon.gifJxB-YatayxQ-B. Parag.xPJC 5-8-15 5.JPG

Score ! :drool:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I know you are happy! Seeing that box on your front porch or stoop is a fantastic feeling...almost like a kid on Christmas morning!

I ordered three from him last month, a JXB, a BXJ, and a BJXJ. He does a great job with packaging and has healthy palms. I strongly recommend ordering from him if you are looking for a fantastic hybrid.

Please document your growth via photographs...I am doing the same. I think hyrbids are definite winners.

My J X B that I got as a liner from Jungle Music four years ago already is developing a fat trunk. I expect the same for these beauties. Good luck!

Is there a lot of difference between his smaller and larger sized plants?

Those look much larger than the ones that I purchased last year.... Tiny monitor maybe?

Patric has a smaller size for sale...not sure what size it is....and a 4"x10" pot size for considerably more money.....what are we looking at in the above picture? ....looks like 4x10......does anyone have pictures of the smaller size?

Patric has a smaller size for sale...not sure what size it is....and a 4"x10" pot size for considerably more money.....what are we looking at in the above picture? ....looks like 4x10......does anyone have pictures of the smaller size?

The below picture is my first order from him in 2011, small vs. large (However, 4 years later, the "small" is twice the size of the "large")

post-4410-0-00303700-1431451457_thumb.jp

This time all three of my palms were purchased in the large pots, but the palms themselves were more mature.

P.S.: It is a 27" diag. monitor. Just an odd angle.

Brandon.gif

Have any of you guys exposed any of your hybrids to cold weather yet?

My J X B sails through my 8A winters. I don't have any tender hybrids though...just J X B, and now (from Patric as of last month) another J X B, a B X J, and a BJ X J. The J X B came to me liner size four years ago from Jungle Music. It has been unprotected during the winters, and we did hit 10 F as a low on the coldest night this year and last year. I see very minimal damage from the cold right now, and it is vigorously pushing up new spears. The trunk is getting fat too.

That sounds promising because I plan on moving back to SC. I want to grow as many hybrids as I can. Thank you for the info. Do you have pictures by chance?

Edited by ArchAngeL01

Hey Arch Angel,

I will post some soon. What part of SC are you moving to if you don't mind me asking? I am in Greenwood, about halfway between Greenville, SC to the north and Columbia, SC to the southeast. I can tell you that we have no problem growing most sabals here including palmettos, butias, etc. Hybrids seem to be hardier and faster growing than butias in my experience here.

I definitely need to post some hybrids pictures to make up to the original poster for getting off topic here. My apologies Buccaneers37!

No worries, this is for discussion, so not really off topic. both my JxS and my BxPJcocoids were plated out when I got down to consecutive nights of 23-24 (very briefly)with no noticeable effects. If I remember correctly, both days did get into the low 50s. The coldest since 2011 has been 27 or 28 maybe twice since then.

Brandon.gif

Wayne, which (at this small stage) do you think looks the most un-butia like?

Hi Scot,

I'd be moving to the Greenville area. I use to live in myrtle beach but decided to travel and move to LA. I Have family in Greenville.

I've seen Butia and sabals up there, but I'm sure everything I grew in Myrtle would do fine in Greenville as well. If not better because the soil holds nutrients unlike the sand and swampy soil on the coast. I know it's a half zone cooler but I have confidence in Butia, Sabal, Rhapidophyllum, Chamaerops, Chamaedorea radicalis, And hybrids.

If protection is needed with hybrids then I would be fine with that as well. I think Butia x Jubaea would do well there, and others if protection is provided in the coldest winters. It's all a huge experiment I'll have to orchestrate. A learning process and lots of money...

Sorry as well if this is off topic,

hybrids get me excited !

David I would think j x s would look unbutialike for obvious reasons!

:floor2:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Awesome! Cant wait to see how well they do! nice acquisitions...

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 1 month later...

The Patric Hybrids are here too!

post-97-0-81945000-1435279106_thumb.jpgJxS

post-97-0-21431700-1435279191_thumb.jpgBxJXS

Awesome to see you got the JxS David! That and the BxPJc I got from Patric last year have been real rocketships.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

You're on your way david. In about 10 years you will be the envy of sea crest beach

Or the whole Florida panhandle!

Thanks....scared to put them in the ground....may wait till next spring.