IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to turn iPhone photos to post?

neoflora

I just go to tinypic and upload the photo to a smaller size. Then copy the code for message boards and paste the code in this text box.

Edited by ArchAngeL01

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Ron, I was told to always take the picture "landscape" style. (Phone horizontal). That made the difference for me. The only other thing is to have the website on "Full version" while on my phone.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

The problem is caused by different way iPhones, computers, and this forum interpret the image width/height dimensions and portrait/landscape EXIF tag in image files.

Let's say that there is an image file with 1600x1200 resolution in landscape mode (1600 pixels wide by 1200 px high). If you rotate the same image to portrait mode using image editing software, the pixels are rearranged and the image file is rewritten as having 1200 px wide by 1600 px high. No portrait/landscape tag is written.

The iPhone and many other cameras have an orientation sensor that senses which way you hold the camera in respect to ground. When you take the picture, the image is still written 1600 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high (regardless of how you hold it), but the camera's sensor writes an EXIF tag specifying which way you held the camera.

When you open the file in a computer, the software interprets the tag and correctly rotates the image on screen as needed. Some software (such as Paint) then actually rearrange the pixels correctly and remove the EXIF tag upon saving the file.

This forum apparently DOES NOT interpret the EXIF orientation tag, resulting in always displaying the image by width x height as the camera's sensor recorded it. If you post images directly from iPhone, there is nothing you can do in the iPhone to fix the images taken in portrait mode.

This is EXIF tag 274 - it's values are documented here , and a sample code to read the data from JPEG files is available here. I hope the forum code can include the feature to read the EXIF tag.

orient_flag2.gif

Edited by Pando

I simply just edit the photo on the phone, crop it and make the photo slightly taller than wide, always works when I do that

Interesting I have not change any settings. Have used same phone to mac before to post. Never had this problem till the last post.

It's very easy like Kenny said. Just edit and crop the photo on your phone, access PT on your phone and add your resized pic. Easy peasy

I post right from my phone. I attach photos in Palmtalks full version by selecting the photo from my "photo stream" folder within my phone's photo library. If I try to select from the "Moments" or "Camera Roll" folders most files will be too large to post. I have no idea why the photo stream works. It just does. I posted this one straight from my phone as an example:post-7521-0-06163300-1431097139_thumb.jp

Ron, you don't even have to crop. Just hit "edit" then "enhance" wand at top right and "save". That photo will now stay up correctly when posted.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I post right from my phone. I attach photos in Palmtalks full version by selecting the photo from my "photo stream" folder within my phone's photo library. If I try to select from the "Moments" or "Camera Roll" folders most files will be too large to post. I have no idea why the photo stream works. It just does. I posted this one straight from my phone as an example:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice waves...guess that Tropical depression/storm is doing ya'll right.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

OMG!!!!!! That photo stream tip is fantastic!!!!!!! No more cropping!!!! Thanks Jason! Sweet looking wave by the way, wish I was on it!

post-9514-0-46589600-1431101981_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-94935600-1431101992_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-70808200-1431102009_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-26025200-1431102125_thumb.jp

Palmdude my accidental method isn't 100% as I have had a couple random photos turn sideways on me for no reason. I just know that when I started trying to post directly from my iphone almost every photo was too large and I couldn't post most. But with photostream files I can post them every time and almost all stay upright. I really don't know what I am doing on here. Kinda like a neanderthal just pushing buttons.

Squirrels and light sabres :lol2:

I learn something new here every day.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

OMG!!!!!! That photo stream tip is fantastic!!!!!!! No more cropping!!!! Thanks Jason! Sweet looking wave by the way, wish I was on it!

lol...hahahaha..who doesn't love crazy squirrel pic's??

post-7434-0-21313100-1431141488.jpg

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I simply just edit the photo on the phone, crop it and make the photo slightly taller than wide, always works when I do that

Ron, Kenny does exactly what I do. It works like a charm :)

Sunset zone 24

I post right from my phone. I attach photos in Palmtalks full version by selecting the photo from my "photo stream" folder within my phone's photo library. If I try to select from the "Moments" or "Camera Roll" folders most files will be too large to post. I have no idea why the photo stream works. It just does. I posted this one straight from my phone as an example:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jason. how big is that wave?

Sunset zone 24

Jason. how big is that wave?

About head high. Nothing special but nice and fun. I should add that I did not take that photo. I pulled it from 2nd light just to show I can post from the iphone easily. Hopefully no one gives me the death penalty for having done so.

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason

These are directly uploaded from my iPhone 6+ photo library (camera roll) with no manipulation using Attach Files. First photo with hummingbird was saved to my photo library from a received iMessage enclosure, saved squared apparently when imported. Second photo was portrait mode as taken with camera, no resizing or other manipulation.

post-5191-0-44840200-1431492191_thumb.jp post-5191-0-81847500-1431492363_thumb.jp

However this portrait photo straight from camera roll

post-5191-0-58156500-1431493303_thumb.jp

Same photo rotated 360 degrees and saved then attached (no cropping or other manipulation done to it)

post-5191-0-99431200-1431493645_thumb.jp

As soon as I attached this image I could see it was not sideways any longer in the Attach mode, but now appeared in the correct orientation. No cropping necessary.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

^^^^^^ IMPORTANT NOTES. Tried making these changes to my post but it timed out.

First off my husband told me HE cropped the hummingbird photo before sending to me, so wanted to correct what I had written about importing from iMessage since I couldn't delete comment above.

Check your photo orientation in the Attach Preview Post or look at the thumbnail of it before Adding to the post so people don't have to strain their necks LOL. Again no need to crop your image or alter it by enhancing it.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14