IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC MAY 2015 MEETING

DoomsDave

May PSSC Meeting
Laguna Hills and Mission Viejo

Saturday May 16, 2015

In May we will be visiting two gardens, first that of Jim Vargin and, second, that of Jawad and Brooke
Nesheiwat. Here is some background each have to say about their gardens:

In the words of our hosts, Jim Vargin, and Jawad and Brooke Nesheiwat:

Vargin Garden: 25011 Marin Ct. Laguna Hills, CA 92653

Nesheiwat Garden: 26631 Cuenca Dr., Mission Viejo, CA 92691

Mr. Vargin says:

We moved into our house 13 years ago this May. When my wife and I were looking, her initial response to this house was "over my dead body". Well, after lots of talk and promises, we purchased the house that offered me a 10,000 square foot lot to work with. In order to start this garden, we needed to remove over 60 trees (not palm trees!) and major regrading of the lot. The next step was to bring in 30 yards of good soil to make sure I had a chance to succeed. Looking back, this was probably the best decision I made with my garden.

My first palm was a 50 year old Chamaerops humilis with 6 trunks. It was craned it and placed on the
front corner of my lot. After 12 years of planting palms, I have over 120 palm species and 50 cycad
species on my property. Lots of failures along the way, but the successes seem to make all the work
very worth while. The garden has large Caryota gigas, Roystonea regia, over 20 types of Dypsis and
Chamaedoreas.

Over the past years, I have supported the Palm Society of Southern California, Palm Talk and the IPS.

On May 16th, I look forward to meeting all of you who decide to visit!
Regards,
Jim.

Mr. Nesheiwat says:

Although we have been in this property 11 years it was not until around 2007 that we discovered our passion for palm trees and gardening. When we purchased this property in 2004 it originally only had
2 pigmy date palms that are still here today. We slowly started adding common palms in 2005 hoping
for a canopy one day and found out the hard way that palms did not grow easy in dense clay or blazing hot summers. We eventually planted the right palms in the right places learning what they liked, and most importantly, didn’t like. Through lots of trial and error we discovered that some palms grew really well, however others struggled regardless of location or how we treated them. Through the years we have added palms large and small from a variety of genus and species, cycads, companion plants, succulents, ti plants, bamboo and other foliage to create “our jungle”. Some of our favorite palms and best performers in our garden include Brahea, Livistonia, Roystonea, Phoenix, Chamaedorea, Rhaphis, Archontophoenix and Dypsis. When we joined the PSSC in 2010 we were inspired by all the other palm tree gardens that we were able to visit and began a never-ending quest to build our own paradise here at home.

Regards, Jawad and Brooke

Schedule
9:30- Board Meeting
10:00- Tour Vargin garden
11:30- Tour Nesheiwat garden
12:30- Pot luck- Please bring a dish to share
1:00- Announcements and Auction/Raffle

Directions

Directions to Palm Tree Jim's Garden:

From North or South: I-5 to Mission Viejo- Exit Alicia Pkwy, go South approx. 1 mile, Left on Paseo de Valencia, 2/10 mile Right on Sunburst Ave., at end of road Left on Largo Dr., Right on El Capitan, Right on Marin. 25011 Marin Ct.

Directions to Nesheiwat garden from Palm Tree Jim’s Garden: Take Marin northeast towards El Capitan, turn left onto El Capitan, left on Largo Drive, take the first right onto Sunburst Ave, take 1st right onto Paseo de Valencia, right on Cabot, left on Crown Valley, left at shops of Mission Viejo/Puerta Real. As you make the left the street will turn into Puerta Real which comes to an end at a stop sign facing a park. Turn right at the stop sign, make your first right on San Gonzalo. Continue on San Gonzalo until it ends on Cuenca Drive. Make a right on Cuenca Drive and you will see us at the end of the street on the right hand side.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Feast your eyes.

post-208-0-36106000-1430758071_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Super tropical Ralph Valez garden :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Yeah

Coming to meetin' Len?

Yes, looks like two great gardens.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I will be there DD! So close to my place, I can't miss them.

Bring the little one!

Wish I could go. Jawad Nesheiwat is my neighbor - we hang out and talk palms and share growing tips. He has a super cool yard with an amazing number of palms. Unfortunately, I will be in Europe next weekend on a business trip :rant:

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Wish I could go. Jawad Nesheiwat is my neighbor - we hang out and talk palms and share growing tips. He has a super cool yard with an amazing number of palms. Unfortunately, I will be in Europe next weekend on a business trip :rant:

Too bad! I wanted to see your yard again. One of the coolest ever.

As we are only 2 days away from the garden tour, I thought it would be interesting to post some pictures of what the house looked liked before we moved in.

As you can see, not a palm tree in sight.......

Let's hope I can can up with some palms on Saturday morning!

Jim

post-6691-0-10564600-1431660554_thumb.jp

post-6691-0-01836400-1431660564_thumb.jp

post-6691-0-42068900-1431660585_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Wow Jim. Talk about a transformation. Those are some large trees you had to get out of there. I'm looking forward to checking out your garden again tomorrow. It will be a great treat for all the palm nuts. I think I spot a washingtonia volunteer in your before pics :)

Brooke and I are also very excited to have everyone over. Although the ground will be rather wet, it should be 70 degrees°, clear sky and looks like no rain!

Hope to see many of you out tomorrow. It will be a great day.

Kiddos are definitely welcome and will have the company of my 3 little ones.

Len, the Velez garden is a huge inspiration of mine, maybe in 40 years I can have half the garden Ralph does.

Len, the Velez garden is a huge inspiration of mine, maybe in 40 years I can have half the garden Ralph does.

Cant wait to see it. Looks like you got some large specimens already. Belmor and Foxy Lady showing up in pic.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Ah, yes.

Can hardly wait for the sunrise . . . .

GREAT gardens! Thanks for all involved..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I wanted to go soooo bad!

I had to work almost all day because of that dang windstorm we had last Thursday.

Anyone catch any good pics?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that was able to make it out to the meeting. It was a great privilege to be able to host the event and it was a exciting to meet so many of you in person. It was a really fun day and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as I did. I was not able to take as many pics as would have liked, I will however post some pics of my garden in the main forum later this week. Enjoy

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jawad!

See my PM > . . . .

I'm still upset about not being able to go visit these gardens. I hope I'll be able to the next time.

I'm still upset about not being able to go visit these gardens. I hope I'll be able to the next time.

Find enough with cocos in them, and we'll come to the desert!

Find enough with cocos in them, and we'll come to the desert!

Hahahaha! Lol. I think I did. I gotta get some pics of the Salton Sea Coconuts.... see you guys soon. Edited by Danilopez89

Enough coconuts, and we'll make the desert bloom from our drooling . . . . .