IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

5 months after the red weevil

Monòver

This canariensis had a big red weevil infection.

Every leaves was eaten and part of the trunk.

I cut every leaves and i was cleaning the hole on the trunk. It was full of fat baby weevils.

I was macking two treatments with insecticide and 5 months after, here is the result.

This palm is sixty km inland. In a very dry place.

It don't has extra irrigation and the miniums this winter, arrives at -7°.

This is a survivor!

post-12603-0-83346900-1430550661_thumb.j

post-12603-0-92732500-1430550685_thumb.j

yikes, that palm got whacked...

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

yikes, that palm got whacked...

If you see now,the appearance is the worst.

But the 90% canariensis with strong attack red weevil, is death.

This don't has a extra care, and it is macking new leaves.

It is posible will need two years for makes new healthy leaves, but is is living and this is the most important.

• Upvote 1

wow, I'm glad that it has a chance of survival. do you have a before picture prior to the weevil attack?

Sunset zone 24

I know how important it is to all us have a palm of our survive, so congratulations on that!! :)

But unless damage to the trunk is really superficial, this palm will never again look good enough or have proper stability to grow as well as it could(canopy will recover but since the damage is on expanding trunk tissue, it will enlarge as the palm grows). I would definitely plant another one nearby as a replacement for the future and protect it preventively to avoid infection with Rhychophorus

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

wow, I'm glad that it has a chance of survival. do you have a before picture prior to the weevil attack?

I don't have before pictures of this, but i have one picture of the other canariensis i have.

Is near this, at only 10 meters and it is her twin sister.

If you see the picture, was the same, but every leaves was broken, with holes in the petioles and with a sweet flavour at rotten fruit.

post-12603-0-79430100-1430674468_thumb.j

she's a beaute! thanks for sharing :greenthumb:

I do agree very much with Kostas above. He makes a compelling point

Sunset zone 24

I am agree with Kostas.

Is posible the best will be plant other palm near this.

But the capacity of the phoenix canariensis for recover and make a healthy canopy is amazing.

I'm gardener and in the last ten years i saw thoudands palms with red weevil.

In a great part of this, if we make a treatment on time and follow the recovery.

The palm can makes a healthy canopy in one or two years.

Is posible, in a future, the trunk will be weak, but is a possibility for a long future.

With this the palm can live 5,10 or 20 years more.

And this, is always a triumph.

I will show two pictures of two palms.

It had a strong reed weevil infection 4 o 5 years ago, it was like the last palm i show us.

Now they are growing with only a hole in the trunk.

post-12603-0-73144800-1430762885_thumb.j

post-12603-0-46277200-1430762919_thumb.j

post-12603-0-91635700-1430762949_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

What can be used to prevent the attack of weevils on CIDP? My 3 CIDP come under attack about every 2 years. I noticed yesterday the new growth laying to the side of the crown on one of the CIDP. Got the ladder out and climbed into the canopy and I once again found the signs of the weevil. I would like to prevent than just to combat the devil.

Steinernema carpocapae nematodes diluted(1million nematodes per liter) in a chitosan solution, applied monthly on the growing point and all live leaf bases till run off, plus a wetting of the root initiation zone at the base of the trunk, work wonders and fully prevent attack and damage :)

The nematodes is a good option, but the best is a combination of treatments. One with nematodes and the next month, with insecticide, for example, imidaclorprid.

You must shower the palm, for a medium CIDP, you must use 20 litres.

Other sistems is the trunk ijenctions with insecticide.

And this year in Spain, we are using one treatment with one fungus, the Beauveria Bassiana.

This fungus has a effectiveness of 75%, and it is not dangerous for other insects and animals.

But i think, is more easy for you spray with nematodes and insecticide.

Its 6,5years i am treating with nematodes alone(in a chitosan solution which extends their life and efficacy to 98%) and have not had a single attack as long as i sprayed monthly, on schedule. Insecticides only reach up to 70% efficacy with Rhynchophorus. According to a study on Beauvaria, its effectiveness depends largely on the weather(higher humidity-> higher effectiveness and killing ratio) which would be a problem for our dry summer areas, while they may prove to be a good and cheaper solution for winter maybe. Do you have any new studies in mind?

I don't have new studies. Only the recomendations of the valencian and Andalucia goverment.

The protocol says it is better in winter use nematodes and in summer, use imidaclorprid.

The nematodes has less efectivity with warm weather.

I have the oficial licence aplicator for make treatments in Spain.

Every years i am trying around 300 palmtrees using quemicals and nematodes with the best results.

The nematodes is a very good option, but it has a very big problem, the price, is too expensive.

If you have enought money for your palms, i'm sure the nematodes is the best.

But if you have, for example, 20 CIDP on your garden, with the nematodes, the bill will have amazing.

• Upvote 2

There has to be a natural enemy for this pest.

[someone] help us if there isn't. :crying:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My dog is the best natural enemy.

He loves hunt and eat every weevils, jajaja.

• Upvote 1

My dog is the best natural enemy.

He loves hunt and eat every weevils, jajaja.

I have seen magpies feeding on the larvae and probably also blackbirds...

• 3 months later...

Five months more from the last pictures. The palm is not watered and was a very dry summer, but he is growing and making new big leaves.

IMG-20151009-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20151009-WA0010.jpg

• Upvote 1

Monover, keep us posted!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've seen a few CIDP's completely recover from RPW to the point their crowns are denser than neighboring ones of similar height.

Some that got hit really hard like yours develop 2 or 3 suckers below the crown.

Don't know about Northern Greece, but I haven't seen any RPW around Rhodes for about 2 or 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

I havent seen a RPW for a year now in Pyrgos. All remaining palms are protected by their owners, so not much space left for the weevils.

I do see them in areas 10km from Pyrgos though where it is still spreading outwards...