IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please Recycle Your Plastic Pots

Phil

I've posted this in past years, but as a reminder, please recycle your plastic pots.  It's such a shame to see them being thrown away.  We're in Encinitas and will gladly give a credit toward purchase.  Call for details.  Wherever you live, recycle them.  It's good for everyone.

Phil

619 291 4605

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Hi Phil,

I've tried to recycle some damaged pots in the past.  The recycling truck guy always "rejects" them and puts them back in the bin.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's really a shame- I tried that once and the recycle guy just left them! I cut them up and everything. I figured out a better solution, though. Use them for when you break up those cannas/ heliconias/ gingers/ bananas/ oh, you get the picture :)

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Remember to re-use , reduce or recycle .

Much better to re-use a pot than to recycle it , I always think of recycling as a complete breakdown and remaking of the object , using lots of energy .. metal is recycled but at great expense . I get many people bringing back pots to the nursery , and I re-use the small pots and tubes many times for seedlings and cuttings .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I wonder who or what entity it is that leaves all these pots at the dumps? Clearly there is some ignorance because 1 gallon pots are probably the most re-usable item on this planet!! And 15 gal. containers are pricey! I wonder if wholesale nurseries have any programs or are willing to take them back, aside from you, Phil.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I think its mostly landscapers that see them as trash when they are done....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill - I think you're right about landscapers. The guys who put in my bamboo took the 15G pots and I wanted to keep them.

I reuse pots for scooping soil out of bags, measuring, storing stuff, potting up stuff, etc.... There's lot's of uses.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

there are a lot of nurseries in san diego who will give credit for merch if you bring your old plastic pots in.hunters nursery in lemon grove is one.i think from now on i'm gonna take 'em to j.music & get credit towards some PALMS!!!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Plastic pots!

Dang!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Micheal,

I reuse them whenever possible.  The ones I try to recycle are ones sliced open to remove a potbound palm.  I checked once before and the recycle symbol does indeed show up on the underside of the container.  It is "recycle guy ignorance" I suppose.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I haul several loads of garden debris (mostly palm fronds) to the dump every year, and I always keep my eyes open for plastic pots when I'm there.  Sometimes I'm lucky, other times not.  I haven't bought plastic pots in years, and I use them over and over until they split open from age. I always look for the 2 gal pots which seem to be hard to find. It's such a shame that the landscapers are so wastefull, but I guess they are making so much money, they couldn't be bothered saving pots.

My next door neighbor is having an extensive landscape job put in by a "named" landscape architect.  One of his projects was just featured in Sunset Magazine. He came over the other day and we had a garden walk, and I was shocked that he didn't know anything about plant materials, especially palms. He wasn't even sure of what a Chamaehrops was, one of the most common palms in N. Calif.

Umm, sorry to get on a tangent.....but I never waste a pot untill it falls apart.

Dick

Richard Douglas

With plastic prices going ever upwards with oil prices I cant believe that any nursery would reject the opportunity to reuse pots, its so wasteful to throw them away, and they are so expensive to buy.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

We here, have been trying to convince landscapers for many,many years to recycle their pots. We give a credit towards plants. We do get a handful of customers that bring in thousands of pots( mostly 3gallon) on occassion. It really adds up in credit, if these landscapers would all bring in their pots. It works out great on both ends.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Every time I go to the dump, I see them scattered all over the place.  The sad thing is that at our dump there's a policy that you cannot "take" anything previously dumped out of the facility with you.  I've seen them kick people out who tried to recover items.  I'm sure it's a liability issue with them, but they really get passionate about enforcing this rule.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads