IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dwarf Catechu

MDPalm

Found these little guys on ebay. They were advertised as dwarf, I am hoping they are but if not I will still love them. They arrived pretty dry but have seemed to perk up a little since then. Any tips on caring for them or when I will know if they are a true dwarf?

dacrea.jpg

I hate to say, their not going to turn out to be a good form of dwarf most likely. And it's a shame people are selling these as such. I can tell you'll give them a good home, grow them out and enjoy them.

Value.....$5-10 per palm. ( South Florida )

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I agree.The petioles seem too long.When my dwarf Areca catechu produced their first leaves it was obvious they were different.Mine came from Thailand.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Thanks for the replies. These came from Thailand too. They were $15 each, so I figured it was worth a shot to see if I can grow them and see what becomes of them.

Dwarfism occurs along a spectrum - your plants might be thought of as semi-dwarfs. Let them grow out and see what you get.

Did your seller provide a phytosanitary certificate?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

There was no certificate. I was looking for a small palm with a trunk that would live in a pot and that I can bring inside during the winter. This seemed to fit the look and size I was hoping for, I will see what I end up with. :)

I have not found many of these for sale, are ones that are 4 foot + readily available in south Florida?

They are difficult to find anywhere. And expensive if you find them. For a 3-4' trunking specimen plan on shelling out many 100s of $, maybe $1,000+

Meg

Florida

They are difficult to find anywhere. And expensive if you find them. For a 3-4' trunking specimen plan on shelling out many 100s of $, maybe $1,000+

Meg,

Your pricing is very accurate. And more importantly, paying this amount of money for a really good form.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Meg,

Your pricing is very accurate. And more importantly, paying this amount of money for a really good form.

Unfortunately, I can't afford that large an outlay. If only.......

Meg

Florida

This is my little forest of Dwarf Catechu.These are only 1m tall overall and with about 30cm of trunk.They are 10+ years from seeds.

post-175-0-32167600-1430402155_thumb.jpg

post-175-0-63824900-1430402199_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

How wonderful!

Meg

Florida

With luck, it'll look like these. These are at Nong Nooch.

post-649-0-94240600-1430442759_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That was one of the most memorable times of the entire biennial for me. :) And maybe because I'm partial to the Dwarf forms of Areca catechu as one of my favorite palms that I not only grow and sell, but enjoy them planted in my yard.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I consider mine to be "bucket list" palms.

We are also fans of the dwarf catechu. Fake ones are fairly common on the Big Island and are mostly sold at the big box stores. We purchased our (true) dwarf catechu from a reputable nursery about five years ago. They were in two gallon pots and about a foot tall. The largest is now taller than my 6’ husband Mike. The fact that one is growing much slower than the other is probably because there is less soil between it and the blue rock ‘foundation’ of the Big Island.

post-3412-0-59425300-1430563384_thumb.jp

Here's a close up of the trunk and petiole of the larger of the two palms.

post-3412-0-72179200-1430563387_thumb.jp

Lee

• Upvote 1

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

There are indeed 'degrees' of dwarfism in this species.. here are two juveniles with differing degrees… one on the left is the typical completely petioless form, and the right has very short ones (sorry the picture should have been taken from below, but you still can tell there is a difference in these leaves)… both are definitely dwarfs, though.

post-426-0-05329500-1430709707_thumb.jpg

Geeze Mike and Lee, those look fantastic! Mine are 'chunky' in both height and width because of shallow soil, a lot like your smaller one. They are such awesome palms with such great scale.

They have absolutely NO petiole.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii