IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Earthquake in Nepal, and it's a bad one

DoomsDave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The earthquake triggered an avalanche at the base of Mount Everest, so far 18 bodies have been found.

post-208-0-01578000-1429994424_thumb.jpg

Here's a temple.

post-208-0-41927400-1429994443_thumb.jpg

And a road.

Or what's left of one.

post-208-0-96675100-1429994470_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

Thanks for posting this. Truly tragic news and absolutely devastating for a country like Nepal where many buildings clearly are not up to current earthquake protection standards. Kim and I spent 2.5 weeks in Nepal exactly two years ago, April 2013, and we couldn't help but notice the difference in construction there. First of all, many buildings are older, and it's also very common practice to simply add more storeys on top of existing buildings in a seemingly haphazard way. Here are a few photos, the first two from Kathmandu and the third photo from Bhaktapur, the ancient capital a short distance away from Kathmandu. Sad to say, I'm afraid the actual death toll is much higher than these early figures/estimates.

Bo-Göran

post-22-0-89358000-1429995998_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-27415100-1429996024_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-13458000-1429996049_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The lead guide from our trek, Jeevan, has posted a short message on FB. He is safe, but was still trying to connect with his family and was feeling very worried. He had still not connected with them as of 6 hours ago. Some are saying it is not as bad "as it could have been" and much of central Kathmandu is intact, but reports are incomplete, and it seems certain the death toll will climb. :bummed:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oh, no.

Look at those brick walls in Bo's first picture!

Brick walls are bad to start with; that mortar looks shoddy. That place must have collapsed in a hail of bricks. Hope that little kid wasn't home. The best place to be might be London.

Praying. Thanks for sharing, Kim and Bo.

Kim and Bo hope Jeevan and family will all be fine and he locates them soon. Knowing someone there brings it home for you I'm sure. When I heard the magnitude this morning on the news, I knew it was going to be bad. That photo of the road reminds me of photos from Alaska when they had a super strong quake up there a number of years ago. I watched one of those International House Hunters episodes on HGTV that had a professor going to Kathmandu and looking for housing. Got to see some video of the area from that. I'm guessing a lot of the old housing is gone. I was actually shocked by how sleek and upscale some of the new buildings were and wonder how they fared and whether they were constructed with earthquake standards in mind. That must have been horrific shaking for everyone there. Not an easy area to get assistance to either.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Jeevan just posted that he made contact, and his family is fine, but the home is damaged. It can be repaired -- though with the broken English, not sure how bad the damage is. Scary to think about all those unreinforced brick buildings.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Jeevan just posted that he made contact, and his family is fine, but the home is damaged. It can be repaired -- though with the broken English, not sure how bad the damage is. Scary to think about all those unreinforced brick buildings.

Stone and brick are bad in a quake.

That's why so few of them in So-Cal.

He's okay, which is good. Hope his house is okay, and if not, he rebuilds out of wood. Yes, not as tough as stone, but won't bury you alive.

Kim, good to know that Jeevan and his family are OK. Hopefully some sign from Subash soon as well. And Dave, brick and mortar seems to be the most common type of construction in Nepal, and just because someone's house is made of wood is no guarantee. I can't help but wonder what happened to the house (high up in the Himalayas) in the first photo below. The second photo shows one more street scene in Kathmandu and is a good example of the general approach to construction there. Or maybe lack of approach. On the way to and from the airport we came through some parts of Kathmandu that looked like Kabul on a bad day... :bemused:

post-22-0-81822800-1430013840_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-76242800-1430013865_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I think I can guarantee that wood is better than bricks and mortar. The latter won't take a shake.

They just crumble. The Japanese learned that long ago.

That said, those PIA hibachis can turn a wooden house into a fire house, too.

I think I can guarantee that wood is better than bricks and mortar. The latter won't take a shake.

They just crumble. The Japanese learned that long ago.

That said, those PIA hibachis can turn a wooden house into a fire house, too.

I still remember the last big one here in 2001, 6.8. And the older brick buildings had the most damage.

I’ll never forget when I ran out of the house I was bouncing off the walls trying to get out, and after I was out of harms way I looked up at the second story window an saw a lamp on the table swinging back and forth. The after shocks where all most as bad as the quake.

It’s interesting in Nepal that some of those old temples are still standing but others are not.

Earthquakes are some of the worst disasters cause you never know when or where there going to come.

At least when Mt. St. Hellen’s erupted people knew it was coming.

Heart goes out to those poor people in Nepal.

Edited by Palm crazy

The australian goverment has only given a lousy $5 million to aid Nepal, but on the day before they announced they are spending $100 million to build a WW1 museum in France. Will they ever get their priorities in the right order ?

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.