IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New tropical look for my Trachycarpus Fortunei (trimming and cleaning)

samirbouag

Hi eveyone,

Spring is here on my French Rivera, i just decided to give a new Tropical look to my trachys by cleaning and trimming the trunk because i love them that way and it prevents from that killer palmtree's butterfly that we have here on the riviera. OF COURSE NOT TO DO IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN A WARM WINTER PLACE. it reduces the hardiness of the palm.

post-3881-0-29986900-1429955987_thumb.jppost-3881-0-07735600-1429955997_thumb.jppost-3881-0-00099700-1429956007_thumb.jppost-3881-0-44956500-1429956185_thumb.jppost-3881-0-27373000-1429956192_thumb.jppost-3881-0-18876400-1429956199_thumb.jppost-3881-0-99641800-1429956205_thumb.jppost-3881-0-11492100-1429956212_thumb.jppost-3881-0-86727500-1429956218_thumb.jp

Edited by samirbouag
  • Like 1

No no it dosent but with that way the eggs would be easier to see and to take off .

I don't see them trimmed like that often. I wish they would though because it looks so much better.

• Like 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

lol thank you guys! i just hope i didn't make a mistake . i will let you know how my palm is going to react about his new haircut lol hahaha :)

We bought our T fortunei skinned and have been having it groomed to keep it that way. The nursery near me trims them this way on occasion so it's something I'm accustomed to seeing. We've always liked the skinny trunk look and think it looks more tropical instead of all wooly. Your palm should be fine. Can't speak to your insect issue but I can see how keeping the trunk trimmed in this fashion would make it easier to inspect for the moths.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

I really like when they are trimmed this way, I think they look much better. How tall are yours? I have some in pots and hope to be able to make them look like this one day.

thank you guys, i like skinny trunk too and the details on it are very beautiful, much more tropical.

I took those pictures 2 years ago, when my Palm has been attacked by the Paysandia Archon butterfly.

My methode was a little burtal but that's what i did , first my palm was normal, then i took a look closer to the trunk and found eggs on the fiber, inside the attachment point with the leave and the trunk, and a little worm in the heart of the palmtree beginning to eat the terminal leave, i took them off gently and just took my ligther i began to burn of the liber.......poor Palm. and after that i treated him with nemathodes and everything was alright and today 2 years after my Palm is bigger strong and very healthy :)

so i think now trimmed that way, it's gonna be better and easier when i will check my palm to find if there is something wrong.

post-3881-0-72506900-1430134059_thumb.jppost-3881-0-10842100-1430134067_thumb.jppost-3881-0-41198600-1430134082_thumb.jppost-3881-0-86759200-1430134093_thumb.jp

I'm glad I don't have your butterfly issue although Australia's tiny palm dart butterfly is a little bit pretty when flying about palm canopy in a groups. The damage tjey cause is only minor but it is anoying to have holes though the leaflets of the palm leaves.

Here is a pic of what I do with my largest trachie. I leave the fuzz and found it helps with attaching Sydney rock orchids to the trunk.

post-10546-0-19528500-1430136415_thumb.j

I'm glad I don't have your butterfly issue although Australia's tiny palm dart butterfly is a little bit pretty when flying about palm canopy in a groups. The damage tjey cause is only minor but it is anoying to have holes though the leaflets of the palm leaves.

Here is a pic of what I do with my largest trachie. I leave the fuzz and found it helps with attaching Sydney rock orchids to the trunk.

attachicon.gif20150302_174528.jpg

hey Pip, i'm good that you don't have to deal with that issue :) ow yeah god idea!! i'm gonna try to do kind of the same thing :) orchids on trees and palms gives that

final tropical look! like it :)

Very nice, really like the "brazilian" you gave to that Trachy! :laugh2:

It looks like a lot of work, but very cool and out of the ordinary.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Looks great i did the same to mine !

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Good post. I am very tempted to do this. Perhaps if my friend Samir were to visit New Orleans he'd come over and do it for me. :-)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Good post. I am very tempted to do this. Perhaps if my friend Samir were to visit New Orleans he'd come over and do it for me. :-)

hahahahaha keith!! dear friend, i'd be happy to do it for you! lol but i'm in france right now lol hahaha but it's very easy to do it :) try it :)

I prefer them cut like this instead of the cigar cut. Here are two of them on my back porch.

post-6810-0-66873200-1430314813_thumb.jp

Well done, Sam. It looks much more tropical, like a completely different species. I am tempted, but considering the low temps in my area I'll keep them furry. Your grass is looking green as ever. :laugh2:

happy you like! thank you!

Guys share with us your pictures if you got trimmed trachies! :)

I have one in particular that I want to transplant into my backyard so I think I am going to trim it too. I am hoping I can get to it this weekend and will post pictures when I do.

Does the trunk turn a duller color afterwards? The sabals here do after they are booted and put in the sun for 4 months or so.

ow ok cool! :) when you do it the trunk can be white and after it will turn green like on my pictures :)

Yes the color dulls as the flesh dries. Here is a picture 2-3 years after the pic I posted above (March 2015).

post-6810-0-89126400-1430618204_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Do they loose cold hardiness if you take the fur off like that?

• Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

5 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

Do they loose cold hardiness if you take the fur off like that?

General consensus is cleaning the trunk does not affect hardiness

25 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

General consensus is cleaning the trunk does not affect hardiness

ok thank you

• Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson