IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp "bef"

steve99

When I planted my Dypsis sp "bef" way back in 1998 I made the mistake of planting it too close to some rather heavy feeders, namely Arenga Pinnata, Bactris Gasipaes and Arenga Microcarpa, so consequently over the next 10-12 years my poor little Dypsis sp "bef" didn't grow too much. In fact, five or six years ago it was still only quite small. It wasn't until a bad frost killed the Arenga Pinnata and Bactris Gasipaes that my Dypsis sp "bef" finally starting growing to its full potential.

Today, its starting to get some size about it, although its taken a lot of years.

2b9v6r.jpg

2mf13pc.jpg

35cmm53.jpg

24dits7.jpg

• Upvote 2

This palm is very similar to Dypsis ambositrae. Just a little bit less red color.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Has it flowered yet? Where did the come from (below or above the crownshaft)? Anyone compared this to a mature Dypsis 'Slick Willy'?

Has it flowered yet? Where did the come from (below or above the crownshaft)? Anyone compared this to a mature Dypsis 'Slick Willy'?

Is not Slick Willy just the US name for Bef. Infrafoliar.

This palm is very similar to Dypsis ambositrae. Just a little bit less red color.

Yes, complete with reins but not sure flowers are the same. The only ambo flowers shown here were red and interfoliar but the plant was kinda skinny and a little different (and fast) so maybe had baronii in it?

Mardy's "Slick Willy" is "Bef".

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It flowered last year (below crownshaft) but oddly enough it didn't flower this year.

My single trunk version is getting insanely large...

Yours looks great Steve!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Lovely palm there Steve. I seem to remember they were also called 'brevinodis' or 'brevinoides' by some growers. Whatever the name, they always get that third rank of leaflets and twist to the end of the leaf just before they split off a new stem..

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

My single trunk version is getting insanely large...

Yours looks great Steve!

Photo Bill?

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Lovely palm there Steve. I seem to remember they were also called 'brevinodis' or 'brevinoides' by some growers. Whatever the name, they always get that third rank of leaflets and twist to the end of the leaf just before they split off a new stem..

Daryl

I got mine from Larry & Narelle at Chinderah, and it was sold to me as a Dypsis Onilahensis. :hmm::hmm:

Its weird how this palm often gets lumped in under D. onilahensis. (although i know nothing about the flowers)

To me its much different to D. onilahensis not just in appearance, but the fact it has a heel/saxophone root when young, is much slower than true forms of D. onilahenis, and in the way it clumps, it doesn't clump in a D. baronii style but more a D. decipiens splitting style.

Its almost like this palm is the link between D. baronii, D.onilahensis and D. ambositrae, D. decipiens

Its weird how this palm often gets lumped in under D. onilahensis. (although i know nothing about the flowers)

To me its much different to D. onilahensis not just in appearance, but the fact it has a heel/saxophone root when young, is much slower than true forms of D. onilahenis, and in the way it clumps, it doesn't clump in a D. baronii style but more a D. decipiens splitting style.

Its almost like this palm is the link between D. baronii, D.onilahensis and D. ambositrae, D. decipiens

To you, me and everyone else that grows this palm, we know it can't be an Onily. The confusion started when someone asked a botanist (name withheld) what he thought a flowering Bef was. He lumped it into Onily so it seemed to have stuck.

Your comment about the link between Onily and Ambo is a good one. Bef does seem to fall right in between. Mardy told me he got seed of Slick Willy from the "high plateau" where both those plants grow too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Mardy told me something different Len. He told me he collected it in a mountain range at 7000Ft Elevation from north Madagascar. I forgot the name of the mountain.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Can't fathom why this palm still does not have a name. Let's hope we have a PoM2 soon and they consult collectors to clear up a bunch of horticultural loose ends.

Mardy told me something different Len. He told me he collected it in a mountain range at 7000Ft Elevation from north Madagascar. I forgot the name of the mountain.

Doubt that surprises either of us :) He told me as part of his sales pitch when making the trade for that Slick Willy I now have in the yard for a Rancho Lipstick that it was collected from a mountain in the high plateau. Don't recall if he actually collected or bought seed off a local in that area. I guess the secret is to trace back to the first place he said it was collected and told someone. Maybe Ron Lawyer will know.

My guess is some Aussies might know too as they ended up with Bef from keen collectors.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Mardy's "Slick Willy" is "Bef".

NON expert talking, but I thought the two were the same as well...

On the back of a pic BB sent me Yrs ago said "Pete, Bef is prob allied to Acuminum, which comes from Mt Antsatrotso in Nth Mad.

Pete

Slick Willy was collected @ the same time as Al Gore. Which turned out to be Dypsis Rivularis. As well as a number of other Dypsis. Mardy also told me they were collected north. Maybe Bill Beattie has some inside info. I think he got seed @ the same time.

Slick Willy was collected @ the same time as Al Gore. Which turned out to be Dypsis Rivularis. As well as a number of other Dypsis. Mardy also told me they were collected north. Maybe Bill Beattie has some inside info. I think he got seed @ the same time.

Thanks Ron. I can't imagine this being a northern palm (even from elevation). I have never grown a Dypsis from the tropical north that easily handles sun and cold like this from an early stage here in SoCal. Not disputing it came from north just saying it is an anomy if so.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Rich, 1 has to wonder if the pics are "really acuminum, they look more Psammophilla, and the "notes" in POM mention acuminum's

taxon is same as onilahensis.

My triple shot coffee break is over, better get back to it :)

Pete

Yes, but the source of the photo was John Dransfield!

Rich, 1 has to wonder if the pics are "really acuminum, they look more Psammophilla, and the "notes" in POM mention acuminum's

Pete

Yes, but the source of the photo was John Dransfield!

Yes, and they are the "only" pics on Palmpedia and in a garden outside of Mad, and it looks very baronii type.

Added pics below of the very baronii psammophilla and the pic Bill sent me dated 1994 ( maybe in Mad ? doesnt look like Bills garden) and it looks very Onilahensis eh :)

All fun, sorry to take over yr thread Steve, great lookn Bef you have btw , ours is a few rings behind yrs, will have to chainsaw some Archo's to give it "Full sun" :) Pete

post-5709-0-22525200-1429765180_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-51298300-1429765258_thumb.jp

Beautiful! :greenthumb:

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

I'm not as technical or knowledgeable as some of you guys but I have palms labelled as all those mentioned above.... IMO bef and slick willy are the same..... Acuminum and psammophilla similar but different ( mainly in the leaf ) ... Acuminum and onilahensis (eg weeping form) could be close...... Baronii, arenarum also in that similar grouping.....

Are we still calling bef an onilahensis?? Looks very different to me??

Nice bef Steve.... Looks like you got a good conversation started here

I'm not as technical or knowledgeable as some of you guys but I have palms labelled as all those mentioned above.... IMO bef and slick willy are the same..... Acuminum and psammophilla similar but different ( mainly in the leaf ) ... Acuminum and onilahensis (eg weeping form) could be close...... Baronii, arenarum also in that similar grouping.....

Are we still calling bef an onilahensis?? Looks very different to me??

Nice bef Steve.... Looks like you got a good conversation started here

Ben, i remember "wrongly" calling" your flowering a Baronii type :) but you corrected me saying it had way more onilahensis which of course you where correct..

As a general rule.. Baronii's are smaller in stems and leaves and Onilahensis are larger in both and Bef is "more" an onilahensis "type"

Ive said enough for now, and will let anyone /everyone say their piece :)

Pete

I suppose I was thinking more of the weeping type onilahensis..... I don't see much similarity between that and the bef type..... Very different in the way they sucker / divide, also the speed of truck development ( weeping is much more upright in the stem at a younger age )

When I planted my Dypsis sp "bef" way back in 1998 I made the mistake of planting it too close to some rather heavy feeders, namely Arenga Pinnata, Bactris Gasipaes and Arenga Microcarpa, so consequently over the next 10-12 years my poor little Dypsis sp "bef" didn't grow too much. In fact, five or six years ago it was still only quite small. It wasn't until a bad frost killed the Arenga Pinnata and Bactris Gasipaes that my Dypsis sp "bef" finally starting growing to its full potential.

Today, its starting to get some size about it, although its taken a lot of years.

2b9v6r.jpg

2mf13pc.jpg

35cmm53.jpg

24dits7.jpg

Fantastic palm. nicely grown!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Pete

Hi guys, I'm in the process of reworking all the Dypsis photos, and guess what is second in the line up, perhaps this re-worked photo will help a little, Ed

post-3109-0-36928400-1429864906_thumb.jp

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif