IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Super White Crownshaft-What is it?

Dypsisdean

Stunning, hope mine looks like that in a few years , its Dictyosperma album X var conjugatum. :)

Pete

Nice how they filled in the bed with all those cycads. :wub2:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

The conjugatums I have seen have a rein along the outside of the entire leaf. Coming apart on the older leafs but should be intact on the new ones. Just dosent look right. Dictyosperma var. Would be my guess

The conjugatums I have seen have a rein along the outside of the entire leaf. Coming apart on the older leafs but should be intact on the new ones. Just dosent look right. Dictyosperma var. Would be my guess

"Read" my post...AS I said its a "Cross" of album Cross Var cojugatum :) I have 1 here in the gardens and they are much faster growers than the slower var cojugatum :)

Nice how they filled in the bed with all those cycads. :wub2:

Look closely, Moose, they are in grow bags. I think it's a nursery.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Pete,

Is this cross something you know as a fact? Is it documented. Just trying to educate myself never heard of it. How about a pic of yours. ☺

Dominic

Pete,

Is this cross something you know as a fact? Is it documented. Just trying to educate myself never heard of it. How about a pic of yours. ☺

Dominic

Dominic, yes a friend has album and var conjugatum growing side by side in their garden and some plants come out quite red in the leaves and some very little to none . In the pictures in post 1 you see reds in the leaves which come from Album and the crownshaft is "White" which comes from var conjugatum , album' has a "Fawn/brown" C/shaft.

Our Dictyosperma cross below had quite a lot of red in the leaves to start and now has faint red still here and there and when a "new" leaf opens , the leaf tips do not stay all together by the rein as it does with var conjugatum as in below pic.

I look fwd to watching it progress and so far it has been a "fast" grower compered to the "slow" conjugatum. :)

Im off to bed its 12.40 am

Pete

post-5709-0-04341700-1429367725_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-77183700-1429367739_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-74631000-1429367743_thumb.jp

I understand pete. Very nice palm you have there btw.look forward to see it trunk one day. So is there no way the pic in post one is what is described on palmpedia as d.album var. areum or another var. of album or are all the variations just a bunch of crosses within the genus?

Thanks, Dominic

Thanks guys,

And Pete, that makes sense. I thought it looked closest to a Dictyo. but the brilliant white threw me off, and it just didn't look "right." I have the D. album and a D. var. conjugatum fairly close to one another in the garden. I have never figured how they could be the "same" palm. First they look so different - and as you have confirmed, one is super fast, and the other is fairly slow. But both are killer palms IMO, and I won't argue with the botanists. :)

They are growing close enough that maybe in time I will get some of those crosses.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks guys,

And Pete, that makes sense. I thought it looked closest to a Dictyo. but the brilliant white threw me off, and it just didn't look "right." I have the D. album and a D. var. conjugatum fairly close to one another in the garden. I have never figured how they could be the "same" palm. First they look so different - and as you have confirmed, one is super fast, and the other is fairly slow. But both are killer palms IMO, and I won't argue with the botanists. :)

They are growing close enough that maybe in time I will get some of those crosses.

:) Thank you Dean for the pics which now get more more excited to watch mine grow, and Re Botanist, anyone who is "keen", loves to "trial n error", has a good eye, self taught, etc, etc falls in the botanist category even if they are a "million" miles from the closest University :)

Also, the "speed" of growth of these is outstanding to say the least, I bought it in Oct 2012 in a 140mm :bemused: , damn good grown eh :)

All best Pete.

I understand pete. Very nice palm you have there btw.look forward to see it trunk one day. So is there no way the pic in post one is what is described on palmpedia as d.album var. areum or another var. of album or are all the variations just a bunch of crosses within the genus?

Thanks, Dominic

Dominic, it opens with a "green" new leaf, not copper/pink like Aureum from pics Ive seen,and the "future" of cultivated Palms as a whole is there will be "so many" different hybrids, actually "never ending" just like Bromeliads..., which is "fantastic" for growers that "dont" live in the Tropics because the speed of growth and "unique difference" is "very pleasant" :)

Pete

Thanks, Dominic

Dominic, it opens with a "green" new leaf, not copper/pink like Aureum from pics Ive seen,and the "future" of cultivated Palms as a whole is there will be "so many" different hybrids, actually "never ending" just like Bromeliads..., which is "fantastic" for growers that "dont" live in the Tropics because the speed of growth and "unique difference" is "very pleasant" :)

Pete

Thanks for taking the time and thanks for the info, great stuff ☺ that in m.o. is a great cross and just a stunning looking palm.