IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cold hardy bromeliads

Tropicdoc

Aside from Tillandsia and Billbergia, I found some Neoregelia to tolerate 9a in Natchez, Mississippi. The nice thing is that you can throw mulch all over them during a cold snap and just as easily expose them again under warmer conditions. You can do the same more or less with pineapples. Some of the bromeliad society sites have documentation on which species can tolerate low 20s.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Thanks I've seen some of the species your talking about online the problem is I never see them for sale! Ex aechmea Caudata and cylimdrata. I occasionally see what I think are these on gardens around here.

You can find just about every bromeliad known to mankind on eBay. Some are actually reasonably priced...others are outrageous after the bidding wars are over! You could also contact your nearest Bromeliad Society chapter and ask for sources of plants.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I wish someone on eBay would do a cold hardy "pack" of Neos...I'd be all over that...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 2 weeks later...

I have tons of Aechmea Distichantha which I think should be the cold hardiest in the Aechmea genus.

I have two of them in the and they have survived to they first winter (we got nearly 60 cm of snow on the 31st of December) with only minor damages.

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought several at big box stores over the years and have yet to lose one. In fact they are growing pups like crazy and blooming. I am on the border of 10a 28/29F, but some winters can be closer to 25 degrees. I'm sure since they are under canopy they are getting down to 28-32F in the winter. Hope that helps

You need to grow some Dyckias. They love full sun, they don't die after they flower, and they flower every year, and my landscape types tolerated 15F uncovered. They didn't show any burn until it got down before 18 and some didn't burn until it went down before 16. If you brought the largest Uhaul truck you could find we could fill it a few times with what I have around here.

Then, I have "collector types" like "Arizona", Snaggletooth" and other types you would have to look up to see what they look like. I have about 5000 seed grown, one of a kind hybrids, mixing qualities I thought would be good combinations, like Dyckia goehringii, with Snaggletooth.

Cherry Coke seems to be the favorite landscape type I have. My Cycad Jungle website has a whole section, in the landscape area which has pictures of the landscape types I have,and pictures of the flower spikes. Oh yea, they are also xeric, but at the same time, grow fast and cluster when given good fertilizer and water. Single heads of some species are said to live longer than 100 years. Tom