IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Palms REALLY Grow in Dallas,TX?

Desert_Ops

I might be leaving SoCal soon, and Dallas is a possible destination. I would appreciate actual experience from anyone in the Dallas area, that has had palms in the ground for a number of years. Thanks in advance.

D_O

Grass is just WRONG, when you live in a desert!

I live in San Antonio, 4 or 5 hours south of DFW, but I am fairly certain from seeing what actual palms grow around Texas that the following are good bets (completely hardy or very nearly hardy to the point worth growing)

1) Washingtonia Filifera (in my opinion the best palm for DFW)

2) Washingtonia Hybrid - possibly worth a try, but do not plant pure Robusta for DFW, will be killed eventually.

3) Sabal Palmetto

4) Sabal Mexicana

5) Trachycarpus sp.

6) Brahea Armata

7) Butia Capitata

8) Phoenix Canariensis - not sure on the long term hardiness, but worth a go.

Do not plant Syagrus Romanzoffiana, in my opinion, they will get fried most winters in DFW, and go into a state of decline.

I have seen lots of pics of large palms in DFW, there are posters on here from there, maybe they will chime in and/or show pics

TonyDFW has an old Jubea (17 years I think), plus a Chamadorea microspadix and probably some others.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

I haven't seen GREENHAND around here in a while, but I'm sure he could write you a book.

If you don't mind growing them in pots, the choices go way up.  Take away 2 or 3 really cold fronts and it's palm weather the rest of the year in Big D.  Keeping everything well watered will be your challenge.

Matt

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

chamaerops humilis.

serenoa repens.

rhapidophyllum hystrix.

these will work pretty good, and are often underused in my opinion.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(KatyTX @ Mar. 25 2007,19:58)

I haven't seen GREENHAND around here in a while, but I'm sure he could write you a book.

If you don't mind growing them in pots, the choices go way up.  Take away 2 or 3 really cold fronts and it's palm weather the rest of the year in Big D.  Keeping everything well watered will be your challenge.

Matt

Exactly, it's those 2 or 3 cold fronts that limit our palm choices in TX, although they somewhat die out the further south/more near the coast you live in the state.  On the other hand, we usually get our share of warm rebounds in the winter.

nannorrohops might be a good gamble as well.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Thanks, all, for the responses. I figured that many of the species mentioned would theoretically grow, but reality and theory are sometimes not the same. I have a Jubaea, 2 Nannorrhops, and a Trithrinax that I plan on bringing, if the move happens. I remember seeing posts somewhere about Bismarckias doing alright in DFW. Thanks, again, to everyone.

D_O

Grass is just WRONG, when you live in a desert!

all the above mentioned palms are what I sell to some of my dfw area customers. bismarcks are gaining in popularity as are cidp's and other phoenix species.

Abraham Lincoln

(Desert_Ops @ Mar. 25 2007,20:38)

Thanks, all, for the responses. I figured that many of the species mentioned would theoretically grow, but reality and theory are sometimes not the same. I have a Jubaea, 2 Nannorrhops, and a Trithrinax that I plan on bringing, if the move happens. I remember seeing posts somewhere about Bismarckias doing alright in DFW. Thanks, again, to everyone.

D_O

Most if not all of the palms mentioned will grow in reality in DFW, plus one thing they have going for them is and extremely hot long growing season.  If we could do away with that once in a 20 year freeze, it would be even better.  Dallas seems to bottom out most winters in the 15-20F range (zone 8b)

Sabal minor, Rhapidophyllum, Trachycarpus, Washingtonia filifera and Sabal mexicana probably have the longest history here. The Washingtonia filifera were wiped out in the bad freezes of the 80's but they lasted for about 50 years before that. As the interest in palms have grown, other hardy palms have made it on the scene of recent. A San Antonio firm brought in a lot of Chamaerops in the 90's. Sabal palmettos and Butias have been filtering in from the east as well. There are a few other hardy palms making the rounds too(Brahea, Jubaea, Nannorrhops, Serenoa and Trithrinax).

I'm not so sure about Bismarkias or CIDP although they are beening sold here. Time will tell. Still you can put together a nice little themed garden be it Tropical, Southwestern, Mediterranean etc...Keep in mind we are in a drought and do have yearly water restrictions.

(palmotrafficante @ Mar. 25 2007,21:00)

all the above mentioned palms are what I sell to some of my dfw area customers. bismarcks are gaining in popularity as are cidp's and other phoenix species.

Bismarckias in Dallas? i would assume that they would be annuals.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Most of the choices have been named for Dallas.  I think the best is: w. filifera.  Here's a list of what I'm growing: s. minor, s. louisiana, s. riverside, s. uresana, s. palmetto, s. x texensis, s. birmingham, s. etonia, s. mexicana, w. filifera, w. filibusta, serenoa green & blue, chamerops cerifera & humils, brahea armata, b. decumbens, b. moorei, r. hystrix, butia capitata, butia yatay, butia x jubaea, butia x syagrus, jubaea, c. microspadix, c. radicalis, trachycarpus fortunei, t. princeps, t. takil, livistona decipiens, and soon livistona nitida.  I know the livistona, filibusta and probably butyagrus will be history after a harsh winter if not protected here.  Trachycarpus require alot of water and some shade to not get scorched here during the summer.

I forgot- also growing phoenix dactylifera and theophrastii.  I've spotted some p. canariensis that are putting on some size after the last few years.  I think bismarkia would be an annual if not protected.

Whats up Desert Ops, Matt listed all that i would of listed, anything else you will need a greenhouse for the winter. here are a few pictures of some palms i have grown in the Dallas area.

post-59-1174959681_thumb.jpg

Hey Greenhand, is that a spindle or a bottle in the last pic? The petiole color looks spindle but the arch of them looks a little bottle. Mabe a hybrid?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Its a bottle.  Sorry to put words in your mouth, Greenhand, but I am quite familiar with your collection because I've seen all your threads and pictures and I remember the thread about you finding the bottles at HD.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

(Matt N- Dallas @ Mar. 26 2007,20:00)

Most of the choices have been named for Dallas.  I think the best is: w. filifera.  Here's a list of what I'm growing: s. minor, s. louisiana, s. riverside, s. uresana, s. palmetto, s. x texensis, s. birmingham, s. etonia, s. mexicana, w. filifera, w. filibusta, serenoa green & blue, chamerops cerifera & humils, brahea armata, b. decumbens, b. moorei, r. hystrix, butia capitata, butia yatay, butia x jubaea, butia x syagrus, jubaea, c. microspadix, c. radicalis, trachycarpus fortunei, t. princeps, t. takil, livistona decipiens, and soon livistona nitida.  I know the livistona, filibusta and probably butyagrus will be history after a harsh winter if not protected here.  Trachycarpus require alot of water and some shade to not get scorched here during the summer.

I think you'd be suprised about how much the butyagrus will take. I've heard some interesting stories from hybrid grower Frank Lewis and I would expect these things to recover as low as 10F.

right you are brian, its a bottle i just pulled it out of the green house it got a little burned fron the winter but it will be ok.

Syersj: why did you say this? Can you elaborate?

Washingtonia Hybrid - possibly worth a try, but do not plant pure Robusta for DFW, will be killed eventually.

Germinating and growing palms since December 2005

Zone 11 on the leeward side of Kauai, Hawaii

sunny, hot, dry summers with mild winters

340+ sunny days a year

always between 66-92F (19-33C)

(polihale @ Mar. 30 2007,19:06)

Syersj: why did you say this? Can you elaborate?

Washingtonia Hybrid - possibly worth a try, but do not plant pure Robusta for DFW, will be killed eventually.

Because eventually pure Robustas will be killed in DFW, no if ands or buts about it. Sure they may last a while, may be even a good number of years, but eventually that 15 year freeze will kill it.  Possibly less, if a big freeze comes sooner.  Even in San Antonio, MUCH further south than DFW, lost most of the pure robustas in the 80s freezes. (a few made it through the big freezes and they have been fine since, as have more recently planted robustas)  So, in my opinion, you are much better off growing Filiferas.  We have old 60-70 year old filiferas around that have taken the worst freezes that we have had in history, and they are still around and kicking.  Therefore, Filifera, and hybrids are a better choice for DFW.  Plus, even in years where they are not killed may have some damage, where filifera hardly every have any frond damage due to cold.  Much, much hardier.  My opinion is that W. Filifera and Sabal Mexicana are the 2 best palms (or 2 of the best) for inland TX.

• 10 years later...

Just visited the greater Dallas area (near Trophy Club) for the first time. At first, didn't see any palms anywhere, but after awhile spotted some Sabal mexicana and palmetto, Trachycarpus, and one planting of Washingtonia (it was a filibusta or robusta) that was 100% defoliated. Surprised to not see any Butia or Mediterranean fan palms. It struck me how much more temperate of an area it is with mostly deciduous vegetation- even compared to NW Florida.

Edited by Opal92

4 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Just visited the greater Dallas area (near Trophy Club) for the first time. At first, didn't see any palms anywhere, but after awhile spotted some Sabal mexicana and palmetto, Trachycarpus, and one planting of Washingtonia (it was a filibusta or robusta) that was 100% defoliated. Surprised to not see any Butia or Mediterranean fan palms. It struck me how much more temperate of an area it is with mostly deciduous vegetation- even compared to NW Florida.

Dallas/ft worth is right in the middle of a climate transition dictated mainly by rainfall. East of Dallas there are more live oaks and pines, but west of Ft. Worth there are mostly mesquite with stunted oaks along with significantly less rainfall and much poorer soil. In between these two areas live a transition of post oaks, red oaks and bur oaks known as the dfw metroplex. There are native sabal minor just south of downtown dallas well within the city limits.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Dallas/ft worth is right in the middle of a climate transition dictated mainly by rainfall. East of Dallas there are more live oaks and pines, but west of Ft. Worth there are mostly mesquite with stunted oaks along with significantly less rainfall and much poorer soil. In between these two areas live a transition of post oaks, red oaks and bur oaks known as the dfw metroplex. There are native sabal minor just south of downtown dallas well within the city limits.   

Okay, that explains what I was seeing.

2 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Okay, that explains what I was seeing.

18 hours ago, Opal92 said:

The area is officially called the cross timbers region. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Timbers