IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Armadillo has moved into my front yard

IHB1979

Sorry we don't have 'dillos in calif so I can't be of too much help....

I've heard that they taste like chicken though

• Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Armadillos are basically insectivores that eat a diet of primarily eat ants, termites, grubs, insects, spiders, lizards, scorpions and worms. They are hard to trap because they pretty much don't eat anything they did out of the ground first. Sadly, it is the cosmetic damage that causes folks to want to do them in. I am guessing you could throw a couple of mothballs in the den entrance and fill it in. They'll dig themselves out, but likely never return to that spot, so you might have to fill it once again.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

They could be carriers of leprosy, so just saying.....maybe not test that "tastes like chicken" theory.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Thanks! I usually don't mind animals on my property but I don't want this guy to burrow under my slab or driveway.

They could be carriers of leprosy, so just saying.....maybe not test that "tastes like chicken" theory.

I guess I should have said, cooked , it tastes like chicken.

Wild game should always be cooked thoroughly.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I have a whole colony of them. They have established two routes through my property every night at around 5:00 am and I choose to ignore it, including all of the digging. They have routes that they created under my fences.

When the digging gets bad, I hire a professional to capture and remove them into a more appropriate natural habitat. Then their numbers increase again a year later and we start over again.

Our armadillo catches uses those little wire fence pieces to guide the armadillos into his traps. They are supposed to be somewhat blind.

He also uses a special cage that is different from the usual animal traps. Armadillos break free from the ordinary cages.

Their eye sight is bad so catch it digging is your best chance to catch it. Sneak up behind them (with gloves on) and grab it by the tail. It will go crazy but can't get to you (with their nasty claws) with you having it by the tail. Throw it in an empty trash can and relocate it elsewhere. I live out in the country and they're all over the place.

Watch them running and jumping knee-high when spooked is some funny stuff.

• Upvote 1

and not only that - they are the ONLY animal that can turn you into a Leper

A well-founded article on Armadillos and leprosy. As in most horrible things, the odds are far far far greater you will win the lottery than catch leprosy from an Armadillo.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-armadillos-can-spread-leprosy-180954440/?no-ist

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages