IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CIDP problem

NBTX11

Can anyone help me with my CIDP.  All the newer fronds are breaking in half.  They are all spotted up and black near the middle of the fronds and that is where they are breaking off.  Both the upper and lower portions of the fronds are completely healthy, but at somewhere in the middle, it looks like something affected them.  It's like at sometime in the growing state, something affected the newer fronds, which is causing them to break off, part way into the frond, with areas on both sides of the frond being healthy.  What could it be.  All the older ones are completely healthy and strong.  But the newer ones are coming out messed up.  Here are some pics for reference.

100_0020.jpg

Dear Jim  :)

your phoenix palm seems to me to have got that through

physical damage.and not desiese or malnutrition.

once the damaged potion of the leaf dries up.cut off that

portion and wait till such thing reoccurs.

it appears like its been done by some animal_squriels..

or some naughty neighbour's kid,swinging the racket,bat or

skipping rope on that leaf...check this out first.

and that washy in the corner is it filifera or robusta ?

i like to know that.

I hope the problem does not reaccur.but just keep an eye

on that palm from now on.since CIDP grows preety huge

so may be your neighbours dont like its shade falling

on their property.or blocking their house or pathway ?

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, thanks.

First of all, don't care what the neighbor's think.  I can't wait until this thing gets huge :)

That's exactly what I was thinking, that some type of animal or pest got to it.  Other than that it is healthy.

The palm in the corner is a washy filifera.  That thing is growing like there is no tomorrow.  It is forming a thick trunk already.  It was a small 3 gallon when I planted it 1 1/2 years ago, and is now growing like wild.

(syersj @ Mar. 25 2007,08:41)

The palm in the corner is a washy filifera.  That thing is growing like there is no tomorrow.  It is forming a thick trunk already.  It was a small 3 gallon when I planted it 1 1/2 years ago, and is now growing like wild.

Dear Jim  :)

i must tell you that last year some time this month,out of

40 seeds of washy one filifera seed did germinate.

and now that one wahy sp is in a medium sized barrel.

believe me or not this guy as you said grows like hell !  :D

and drinks water daily,i used to go near it to check wheather this baby needs water you want believe that the top soil is

so dry as if i have not watered it at all.this seems to be a

very thirsty palm as for my knowledge goes.

And i love only the washy filifera Sp and not the other washy varities...iam glad that you too are its fan  :)

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, yes I am a Filifera fan, I have 4 of them in my yard.  A well watered one grows at an unbelievable rate.  I can literally see big time growth each and every day from the one posted in this picture.  It has pushed 3 to 4 new fronds in March alone.

To me it looks rather like caterpillar damage, that they've eaten away at the the young leaves and it goes unnoticed until they have emerged.

Yes, I think some type of bug was in there.  I hope they are not still chomping away at it.  How do you get rid of bugs without hurting the palm.

Hello Jim,  to me this appears to be a minor case of fungus damage.  Your palm is vigorous and likely grows several spears concurently.  The minor incident of fungus attack would thus affect all of these immature spears.  The sound, green portion of the basal parts indicate that this problem has abated.  However, I would drench the center of the palm with a product called  "Ortho garden disease control", formerly 'Daconil'.  This product saved a large Ceroxylon that surely would have died from a more severe incident of the damage type shown in your post.  If you don't have the Ortho brand in Texas, the main ingredient is Chlorothalonil.

San Francisco, California

(Darold Petty @ Mar. 25 2007,20:38)

Hello Jim,  to me this appears to be a minor case of fungus damage.  Your palm is vigorous and likely grows several spears concurently.  The minor incident of fungus attack would thus affect all of these immature spears.  The sound, green portion of the basal parts indicate that this problem has abated.  However, I would drench the center of the palm with a product called  "Ortho garden disease control", formerly 'Daconil'.  This product saved a large Ceroxylon that surely would have died from a more severe incident of the damage type shown in your post.  If you don't have the Ortho brand in Texas, the main ingredient is Chlorothalonil.

Thanks Darold.  Whatever it was, it affected all the immature spears at the same time.  The palm is very healthy and vigorous overall and is growing rapidly with several spears growing at once in different stages.  It also appears to be growing out of whatever the problem was too, so that is good news.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a bigger underlying problem.  Thanks again.