IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis decipiens growing at 43°S

Albey

Hi there - I would like to show you my Dypsis decipiens growing in Christchurch New Zealand at 43°S

This will be its 4th Winter since planted out and has never had permanent cold damage. The climate here is oceanic / temperate with mild to warm sunny Summers and cold frosty Winters.

Hottest month is just: 23.0°c / 13.0°c and coldest month is: 11.5°c / 2.5°c - This Palm can tolerate these cold Winters with no problems, and have been very surprised at how tough it is.

So here it is:

post-13311-0-46652800-1427965093_thumb.j

post-13311-0-81529800-1427965101_thumb.j

post-13311-0-43201800-1427965107_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Gives me hope. How old/tall was it when you planted it out?

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Awesome. I think I need to find one or more for my garden

Thanks Pip. You wont have any issues in Adelaide, it will love your hot Summers.

Gives me hope. How old/tall was it when you planted it out?

JT

It was planted 3-years, 4-months ago. It was only slightly smaller than it is now.

Albey, your Decipiens in lookn the goods, I think its great they grow slow as they are eye catchers at an early age. Pete

post-13311-0-46652800-1427965093_thumb.jpost-13311-0-81529800-1427965101_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Albey, your Decipiens in lookn the goods, I think its great they grow slow as they are eye catchers at an early age. Pete

post-13311-0-46652800-1427965093_thumb.jpost-13311-0-81529800-1427965101_thumb.j

Thanks Pedro 65.

She's a beaut!

What other hidden treasures have you got growing?

Thanks Peter,

I have a Phoenix loureroi var. humilis in the ground. A parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi planted out. Another Dypsis decipiens, a Butia odorata, Arenga engleri, a Brahea armata and many Trachycarpus fortunei.

Many Palms in pots including Brahea edulis, Brahea nitida, Livistona australis, Phoenix sylvestris, Washingtonia robusta, Trachycarpus takil, Trachycarpus martianus var. khasia hills, Rhopalostylis chathamica var. pitt island, Rhopalostylis baueri "raoul island", a Dypsis ambositrae and more small Dypsis decipiens.

• Upvote 1

Rod

Good to see you on here .

Mine is growing well but no where near your size !

***** i give you 5 star rating for that palm ! WOW !

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

NIce palm.

@ Albey, How is your Dypsis ambositrae going?

Im in Victoria Australia (frost free area) i guess kinda similar climate but hotter summers and just ordered a couple of hopefully the real deal D. ambositrae(not D. plumosa) in a good size (250mm down) from QLD (delivered in spring) so interesting to see how they go…I'm guessing if they grow where you are they should do a bit better where i am.

Edited by pigafetta

Stunning dypsis. They say they're slow growers, but I'd be fine looking at it while at that size, no matter how long.

Nice!

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Yes a very pretty palm.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Rod

Good to see you on here .

Mine is growing well but no where near your size !

***** i give you 5 star rating for that palm ! WOW !

Troy

Hi Troy - good to be here, I have been lurking in the background for about two years and finally decided to join.

Thanks for those nice comments. Its looking like we can grow them at this latitude - what do you think after having your one in the ground, and watching my one grow over the last 3-years ?

I will post photos of the other one i have in the ground this Summer coming ( 2015/2016 ) - it should look better by then.

Edited by Albey

NIce palm.

@ Albey, How is your Dypsis ambositrae going?

Im in Victoria Australia (frost free area) i guess kinda similar climate but hotter summers and just ordered a couple of hopefully the real deal D. ambositrae(not D. plumosa) in a good size (250mm down) from QLD (delivered in spring) so interesting to see how they go…I'm guessing if they grow where you are they should do a bit better where i am.

Hi Pigafetta

My Dypsis ambositrae is only small and far to new to know about hardiness here ( Only had it for 2-months ) Its the real deal Ambositrae. I will post a pic of it.

post-13311-0-72714200-1428145900_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Whats your soil like there albey?? Im in Victoria and planning on planting mine out come spring how many leaves are u getting per year?? What other dypsis var do u have growing??

Albey, that's an awesome decipie. Well done. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Albey, as I sweat here in the northern Nuclear Summer, I admire your magnificent D. decipiens.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

would it make it in Queenstown NZ ????

Hi trioderob - why you ask about Queenstown - do you own property there ? ( The answer would be NO - Winters are too cold ) - Even Canary Island Date Palms will not grow in Queenstown.

Edited by Albey

Whats your soil like there albey?? Im in Victoria and planning on planting mine out come spring how many leaves are u getting per year?? What other dypsis var do u have growing??

Hi coops 3214 - Soil is a clay / loam type - I add a fine bark mulch ( PH 5.5 - 6.0 ) to the top layer.

I only have two Dypsis species / D. decipiens and D. ambositrae.

Albey, as I sweat here in the northern Nuclear Summer, I admire your magnificent D. decipiens.

Thanks DoomsDave - Do you have a Dypsis decipiens ?

2.5 C, cold, lol

Our winters get to -20 some years

Edited by Howeadypsis

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I love this palm but i thought that it will not survive in our climate! I should try it in my garden.

Congratularions!

• 5 months later...

UPDATE: After colder than normal Winter

DYPSIS DECIPIENS - 4-Years, 1-month after planting out from a 35L ( 9g )

After a harsh and colder than normal Winter, followed by a colder than normal January, this is how my Dippy fared.
Pretty good considering it took ( 6-months ago ) one night at -4.7°c ( 23.5°f ) and 11-hours below freezing.
Photo taken this morning.

LABELLED_7-02-2016 9-53-34 p.m..png

Edited by Albey
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Albey said:

After a harsh and colder than normal Winter, followed by a colder than normal January, this is how my Dippy fared.
Pretty good considering it took ( 6-months ago ) one night at -4.7°c ( 23.5°f ) and 11-hours below freezing.

wow! It still looks great!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Also, you gotta love those bright red spears!!

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Also, you gotta love those bright red spears!!

Thanks Josh

Yeah - loving the red spears

17 hours ago, Albey said:

Thanks Josh

Yeah - loving the red spears

good job! keep up the good work. It's nice to see this palm growing so well for you in New Zealand.

Sunset zone 24

On 2/7/2016, 1:50:02, Albey said:

Great looking D. decipiens!

Are you using small crushed rocks as ground cover in the planter?

That's awesome cold tolerance on such a beautiful Palm. I always feel ripped off that D. Decipiens doesn't have better heat tolerance though. It makes it a no-go or at least very difficult in Florida and Texas where it would otherwise be a good choice as far as the low temperatures go. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

For just a second, I thought someone ripped off my Super Decipiens . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 10/02/2016 3:07:27, Palm Tree Jim said:

Great looking D. decipiens!

Are you using small crushed rocks as ground cover in the planter?

Hi Jim

Crushed rock on the surface - yes

On 10/02/2016 5:36:42, Central Floridave said:

" one night at -4.7°c ( 23.5°f ) and 11-hours below freezing."

Wow, that is impressive cold tolerance!

Hi Dave - thanks

Loving the cold tolerance of this Palm.

On 10/02/2016 7:04:19, Xerarch said:

That's awesome cold tolerance on such a beautiful Palm. I always feel ripped off that D. Decipiens doesn't have better heat tolerance though. It makes it a no-go or at least very difficult in Florida and Texas where it would otherwise be a good choice as far as the low temperatures go. 

Hi Ammon - thanks

I am under the assumption that Dypsis decipiens does have good heat tolerance. ( But maybe better in a drier heat, rather than a humid one )

Not sure what the magical formula is in growing this Palm properly