IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When Clivia Lilies Try To Steal The Show

Jim in Los Altos

It's Clivia (Kaffir Lily) season and mine are popping and showing off. Do they overshadow the palms? Sort of unless you're a palm nut like most of us. :mrlooney:

post-181-0-07600400-1427666367_thumb.jpg post-181-0-11070200-1427666383_thumb.jpg post-181-0-37792500-1427666402_thumb.jpg

Allagoptera caudescens Wallichia densiflora Washy root mass

post-181-0-61417300-1427666416_thumb.jpg post-181-0-38578000-1427666431_thumb.jpg post-181-0-45527400-1427666450_thumb.jpg

Rhopalostylis sapida R. bauri and Geonoma bondariana R. sapida

post-181-0-52818000-1427666738_thumb.jpg post-181-0-47683700-1427666753_thumb.jpg post-181-0-86668400-1427666771_thumb.jpg

Calocasia trunks and Howea Geonoma, R. glauca, R. bauri Gaussia princeps, Trachy martianus,C. cataractum

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

post-181-0-58670200-1427667047_thumb.jpg post-181-0-49199300-1427667070_thumb.jpg post-181-0-63062000-1427667088_thumb.jpg

R.sapida trunk and small R. sapida Carpoxylon and Kentiopsis Lemurophoenix

post-181-0-37238600-1427667102_thumb.jpg post-181-0-39358300-1427667126_thumb.jpg

Wallichia densiflora Carpoxylon, Kentiopsis, Wodyetia, Wallichia

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Wow Jim, Clivias are beautiful. Always wanted to get some but dont know how they handle our brutal Florida summers. Their native South Africa is a bit drier than we are. I have seen them for sale here but they will sell you anything, the question is will it grow.

Will

Awesome as always, Jim. I have been eyeing some Clivias lately, but a little short on "shady nooks" in the yard...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for sharing Jim. I always enjoy looking at your garden pics. I dream of having a lush garden like yours.

Clivias are one of the best companion plants for palms. They take shade, including very deep shade, as well as competition from the roots of a lot of palms planted close together.

They do need regular watering, though they'll survive a drought. They will also take more sun than you think, though they're still best in shade, if only because so little else looks good there.

post-208-0-34197200-1427685362_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-92345000-1427685440_thumb.jpg

Here's some amaryllis that look pretty good, though I think in a few years they'll get shaded out.

post-208-0-13413400-1427685502_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Clivia are fantastic plants for saying good bye to winter. They flower for me in South Australia from about mid August to the end of October and then put out the occasional bloom throughout the rest of the year. I like to leave the spent flower heads so I can watch the red berries ripen.

My clivias are blooming here as well. I just have the common orange.

I like them even when not in bloom.The tight clumps of dark green foliage are very nice in shady spots among ferns,bromeliads and aglomenas.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

This is one plant that I might break ranks for and try Tropicdoc's pop up greenhouse one.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

jim, your clivias are fantastic and the garden, the same.

Sandy loam, the clivias bloom in full shade,they are one of best plants if you want flowers in a shady place.

This is mine, in shade, near one chambeyronia

post-12603-0-30997700-1427825169_thumb.j

...so they are not a problem to get blooming in full shade?

Not at all. They'll even bloom indoors which is like a cave. (We're still cave people, after all.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

...so they are not a problem to get blooming in full shade?

Yes, they grow, bloom, and look much better in full shade. Even dark shade. They burn in the sun unless it's early morning sun only.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Awesome pictures Jim, I really like to get one of these as an indoor/out plant, thanks for posting them, I’m a sucker when it comes to orange flowers. Being inside it may bloom earlier for me when not much else is happening in the garden.

Yes, Roger, I would think these would do well indoors since their light needs are pretty minimal. I love orange too. I have orange hibiscus and canna lilies to satisfy the craving as well as a variegated abutilon that blooms 365 days per year and a tiger's eye abutilon that blooms on and off.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page